Medical records

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Medical records

It's never occured to me but is there actually a way to get hold of medical records for a deceased relative?
    Lennon. Phillips. Thomas. Peacock. Tubridy. Burton.

I am the girl from that town & I'm darn proud of it.

I think it would be quite difficult although there is no hard and fast rule, different Health authorities operate different policies.

however, most medical records are destroyed 20 years (???) after death - the NHS simply does not have the facility to store the records.

I also think you would have to be very close kin AND have a very specific reason for wanting to see the records. I don't think idle curiosity would be enough.

OC

Comment

Yeah I seached Google afterwards and there's a way to do it but it's kinda like the Army records and I'd have to prove I was his Grand-daughter in more than paper..

Comment

I agree that general medical records may be difficult.
        Some hospitals have records of admissions. I have admission dates for when my g gran had smallpox from their admission book but very little other detail, just name, when admitted and when died.
        Have you ever looked at poor records?
        These are very informative - at least the ones I have are.
        I also have records from a relative who was in an asylum but with a 100 year privacy rule.
        Last edited by herky; 12-09-12, 22:36.
        herky
        Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

Try looking it up on the National Archives Website
          I found Hospital Records stored at Liverpool RO for my local Hospital in Liverpool through NA

Edna

Comment

or email the council local to the area or the county records office. if they don't know about it or have access to the records, they can forward you to someone who does.

Comment

All I'm puzzled about is my Granddad's cleft lip (no upper gum) according to Mum he was born with it- the Dr told his Mum to just let him die, naturally she didn't due to the fact that five of her children had died before him. It turns out that when he faked his age to join the army they were the ones who "fixed" him so to speak..

Comment

Originally posted by lennon2011 View Post
                All I'm puzzled about is my Granddad's cleft lip (no upper gum) according to Mum he was born with it- the Dr told his Mum to just let him die, naturally she didn't due to the fact that five of her children had died before him. It turns out that when he faked his age to join the army they were the ones who "fixed" him so to speak..
                Cleft plates and lips are a congenital condition and are usually corrected in early babyhood so it would be interesting to know if it was fixed by the army as he would have been a young teenager by the time he joined even if he did lie about his age.

Margaret

Comment

i think he was about 18 as he was born in 1921 and the war started in 1939 but the only way I'll know is 2021 when the army records become public because my mum refuses to do the death certificate..

Comment

Working...
                  X