death mistranscription help please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• death mistranscription help please

i have the obit for louise amelia marie ferran on 12 feb 1956 in sydney new south wales from the ryerson index. her husband albert antoine's one from 1952 is also there. albert's death was registered in sydney, but i can't pin down louisa's.

i did find a marie emily l. ferran in paddington 1956, her age is 86 and father given as charles. louisa was 90 according to her ryerson entry, and her parents were nicles/nicholas and caroline. she married albert ferran in 1891 redfern nsw.

would you order this death, or is she mistranscribed?

I'm thinking that theres a slight mistake in the name somewhere. Do you honestly wish to buy the certificate of someone who may not be the person your looking for? If that makes sence..
    Lennon. Phillips. Thomas. Peacock. Tubridy. Burton.

I am the girl from that town & I'm darn proud of it.

Comment

Originally posted by lennon2011 View Post
      I'm thinking that theres a slight mistake in the name somewhere. Do you honestly wish to buy the certificate of someone who may not be the person your looking for? If that makes sence..
      None of us WANT to order certificates for wrong person but sometimes its good to go with a hunch, and even a wrong cert helps to narrow down a search. The similarity of the first names -( Emily and Amelia are often interchangeable) attracts me. Changes in name order often occur over time. Differences in age at death, and even father's name are easily explained by the fact that whoever reported this very elderly lady's death may well not have known the exact details of her birth. I think in your position I would first try to track down Marie Emily L Ferran aged 86 and if there is no obvious candidate then go with the idea that she was indeed Louise Amelia Marie and order that certificate.
      Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

thanx judith. that's a goog idea, i had not thought to look for that lady prior. i had thought if it was her, the informant may not have been family, explaining the age, but father's name is way off. i
        ll take a look what i can see!

Comment

i can't see anything, she is marie or louisa 'a' in the birth indexes for children though. so i think it must be her. i will look inot the cert on payday.

Comment

I ordered a death certificate on the basis of the correct name and an odd place name that had cropped up on a son's marriage certificate. It was the correct one !

If you are not sure, did you know you can order a transcription cert. from one of the three authorised transcribers in NSW ?

It costs far less than an official certificate, especially as you usually don't need a certified certificate for FH. They are listed somewhere on the NSW BDM website, the one I use, marbract (www.marbract.com.au) will do a partial transcrption of 3 fields for as little as $12.00, although a full cert. only costs $17.00. You can also use the "Check and Verify" option which costs only $7 - you could specify the spouses name - then if it is correct you can ask for the full cert. If its wrong it only cost $7.00.

Looking at the NSW BDM both Amelia (also Marie) and Albert (also Anthony) seem to use various versions of their christian names in registering their children. So Emily could be Amelia, especially if she usually used Marie as her name. I think it is probably the same person.

if you look at all the Ryerson Index entries for Ferran, you will see that Albert Anthonie, Louisa Amelia Marie and Hilda Marie (BDMS show her as their daughter) all lived in Darling Point at time of death - so I would get the certificate just on that basis. I would say that whoever registered Louisa's death did not know the order of her names or who her father was and just guessed.

TRove is off-line at the moment, or I would suggest checking for a death notice in the SMH.
            Last edited by dicole; 13-09-12, 11:42.
            Diane
            Sydney Australia
            Avatar: Reuben Edward Page and Lilly Mary Anne Dawson

Comment

true di. but i prefer the whole cert, as i find you notice things that were irelevant before....and they can help sort issues. i think if it isn't my lady, she must be connected.....

Comment

Ooh,

Just looked at the NSW BDM indexes again - I think Albert Anthony was married twice !
                These are births:

30953/1892 FERRAN MARY A H ANTONIE A LOUISA A REDFERN
                7057/1895 FERRAN MARCEL ALBERT LOUISA A REDFERN
                18841/1905 FERRAN MARIE G ANTHONY A LOUISE A WAVERLEY
                8214/1902 FERRAN MARIE A ALBERT A MARIE A L WAVERLEY
                17928/1900 FERRAN MARIE H ANTOINE A MARIE L WAVERLEY

There's a marriage in 1891 for Albert A to Louisa A, and a death reg. for Louisa A in 1898, but no marriage for Marie A L.

Diane
                Diane
                Sydney Australia

Comment

hello kylejustin

Trove is back online this morning - no death or funeral for Marie, but I found Albert Antoines, which says buried in the Catholic Cemetery of Northern Suburbs Cemetery (now Macquarie Park), and their index is online - their index gives her name as Marie Emelia and she is buried with Albert Antoine and beside Hilda Marie, so I think you should get it, I am 99% sure its the correct one.

Out of curiosity, if I could afford it, I would also be getting Alberts, to see if he married twice, or if she used the Louisa part of the time. Having thought that he might have married twice, I found this death notice from June 1906 which confuses the issues again

BESTEL, LADY (nee Bourgault du Coudray). -Died on Friday, 7 a.m. at the residence of H. B. Dowson, Esq., Frederick street, Ashfield. Inserted by her loving daughter, Louise Ferran.

According to ancestry, son Marcel was still listed in the 1980 Electoral Rolls.

Go to go to work now, but glad Trove is working again !

Di
                  Last edited by dicole; 13-09-12, 22:44. Reason: more info
                  Diane
                  Sydney Australia

Comment

hi di, thank you for finding the burial info, i did not have that, and it does prove it's her!

the obit for lady bestel is how i came across louisa in the first place. i had all the children of nicles bestel and 'lady' caroline, until i found that notice and no one had heard of her. so i managed to trace her and came up with this original query.

i think the death may help clear up the children of louise and albert, and that louise in 1898 may have been their daughter.

Comment

Working...
                    X