Emigrant ships

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Emigrant ships

I have found quite a few pictures of the ships my ancestors sailed on ,but a couple of them have eluded me . Could anyone help me find a photo or drawing of them ?

`Reliance ` arrived Sept ? 1851 ,I think Adelaide ,Caskey Family , not sure which departure port

`Lysander `arrived Adelaide 16th July 1839 left Liverpool 18th May 1839 Merritt Family

Many thanks
    EP

a Merritt family mentioned

Comment

VAL ,
      I found this list a while ago with the family on it , but since then I have amassed quite a lot of information ,marriages and children etc. I have just noticed a couple of names that are connected to the Caskey family ,so I am pretty sure I have a connection there .
      However you have found the Merrit Family , two brothers and their families, on the list for the Lysander , which confirms they came out together , They are also connected to the Caskey family , so thanks for these . I am looking for pictures of the Reliance and Lysander , but I have a feeling they may be a tad too early.
      Many thanks
      Ep

Comment

I did google for ages for the images but no luck, will have another go.

Comment

Thanks Val ,
          I was getting crosseyed , putting in dozens of variations . Hope you have better luck .
          EP

Comment

Hi julip,

The Reliance left Liverpool via Plymouth 10 June 1851, arriving Port Adelaide 13 Sept. 1851.

As well as John Caskey and family there was also Sarah Caskey age 19, occp. Servant, aboard.
            see:- http://www.slsa.sa.gov.au/fh/passeng...51Reliance.htm

There is a picture of the Reliance, regretably on fire, on the following site, image Reliance-08. www.photoship.co.uk

Also of interest:- http://foundsf.org/index.php?title=Steamboat_Point,_1851-1854

Ian

Comment

Ian ,
              Many thanks for picture of the Reliance, I have been searching for months and just couldn`t pick it up . No matter it is on fire ,there is enough to get an idea of how it looked . I am always amazed they could sail halfway round the world for four months , what courage to seek a better life . The Sarah Caskey I am sure is related to John Caskey ,age is about right . The site you mentioned on Steamboat is down at the moment but I will check it out later . I found Lysander named boats but they were too late for 1839 , and I think probably a blt too early for a photo

Much appreciated
              Evelyn

Comment

Hi Evelyn,

If you type Steamboat Point into the Google Search the first entry which comes up is the foundsf.org site. There are photo's on there which will give you an idea of what the Reliance would have looked like.

As you say the Lysanders are of a later period and , like you, I doubt there would have been a photo of the one you want.

My g/g/grandfather was a sea Captain back in the 1830's and 1840's and visited Australia as well as other places. His last command was the opium clipper Watch Witch sailing between India and Canton, China. He retired from the sea in 1851 after what must have been a very exciting and dangerous sealife. I have a copy of a painting of Water Witch by a Chinese artist.

Glad to have been of assistance,

Ian

Comment

Originally posted by tms11 View Post
                  My g/g/grandfather was a sea Captain back in the 1830's and 1840's and visited Australia as well as other places. His last command was the opium clipper Watch Witch sailing between India and Canton, China. He retired from the sea in 1851 after what must have been a very exciting and dangerous sealife. I have a copy of a painting of Water Witch by a Chinese artist.
                  My g-g-grandfather came about 10-20 years after yours. His last command was the Champion of the Seas (my avatar) from about 1855 to 1860. He was mostly doing Liverpool to Melbourne but also carried troops to the Crimean War. He died not long afterwards at the age of 45.
                  Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Hi Uncle John,

Looks like our ancestors both had exciting lives. My g/g/grandfather was a little more fortunate than yours though, he lived until the age of 79 and died in 1891.

Ian

Comment

Working...
                    X