PCC Admon 1658

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PCC Admon 1658

I've discovered a reference to the administration of the estate of Philip Pitman of Stow-on-the-Wold, Glos, in 1658. This was a PCC administration, so is it possible to find more details anywhere? I'm assuming there should at least be a record of the person to whom probate was granted.

Any ideas please?

scuda
    Pitman / Pittman in North Glos (Didbrook, Prestbury, Longhope, Tewkesbury, Stow, Cirencester, etc), London & Australia

Oh dear, Scuda, I used to find all this stuff on the old A2A site which has now been swallowed up by TNA. Sorry I can't help you.

OC

Comment

I think you'd have to go to Kew in person; the TNA site has wills, but not admons. Not sure how much information an admon of that period will contain, apart from the names of the testator and the administrator.
      Last edited by Mary from Italy; 08-09-12, 20:28.

Comment

Thanks OC and Mary - not good news. I hope to get to Kew sometime, but it won't be for months, maybe years. Mary, I don't expect to find more than the name of the administrator, but as I'm trying to distinguish between two men of the same name the administrator's name could be crucial.

scuda
        Pitman / Pittman in North Glos (Didbrook, Prestbury, Longhope, Tewkesbury, Stow, Cirencester, etc), London & Australia

Comment

Originally posted by scuda View Post
          I've discovered a reference to the administration of the estate of Philip Pitman of Stow-on-the-Wold, Glos, in 1658. This was a PCC administration, so is it possible to find more details anywhere? I'm assuming there should at least be a record of the person to whom probate was granted.

Any ideas please?

scuda
          You can order wills from Gloucester Record Office. I've done it myself and they were very quick: http://www.gloucestershire.gov.uk/ar...gical-database

This one might be listed in their Genealogical Database, though that date is 1648: http://ww3.gloucestershire.gov.uk/ge...y/Results.aspx

Caroline
          Caroline's Family History Pages
          Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Caroline, it was a PCC administration, so Glos won't be able to help. I think I've got copies of every Pitman will they have available, as I visit there several times each year. And yes, I have the 1648 Philip Pitman will - there were several Philip Pitmans in Stow around that time.

scuda

Comment

Originally posted by scuda View Post
              Caroline, it was a PCC administration, so Glos won't be able to help. I think I've got copies of every Pitman will they have available, as I visit there several times each year. And yes, I have the 1648 Philip Pitman will - there were several Philip Pitmans in Stow around that time.

scuda
              I missed the PCC reference, just got excited that I could help with something I have done. :D
              Caroline
              Caroline's Family History Pages
              Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

You can ask TNA for a quote on cost. I sent for one a couple of years ago, albeit a lot later but the procedure should be the same. I can't tell you the cost as they messed me about so much over a period of about a month that they finally sent it by post, gratis.
                Glen

Comment

I missed the PCC reference, just got excited that I could help with something I have done.
                  I know the feeling, Caroline. Thanks for trying!

Oakum Picker, I'll contact the TNA and see what they quote. I'm a bit wary, though, as they quoted for something I wanted a year or so ago and it seemed incredibly expensive.

scuda

Comment

Have you got the specific reference for the individual item? If so, they'll give you a price. If not, and they have to search for it, then they will be VERY expensive!
                    The National Archives, Kew – Research Service Offered
                    Contact me via PM on Family Tree Forum or via my personal website - www.militaryandfamilyresearch.co.uk

Comment

expense can be the fact they print it all out on a3 or is it a2 sheets......

Comment

They charge a LOT for their time if they have to search.
                        Contact me via PM on Family Tree Forum or via my personal website - www.militaryandfamilyresearch.co.uk

Comment

Have you got the specific reference for the individual item? If so, they'll give you a price.
                          I know the name, place and year, and that it was a PCC admon. I suppose it depends whether they are collected in name order or chronological order. If chronological they may have to go through a whole years' worth to find the one I want.

scuda

Comment

I THINK they'd still class that as having to search but ask them and see what they say!

Comment

I THINK they'd still class that as having to search but ask them and see what they say!
                              I'll do that, and post the info on this thread for future reference.

scuda

Comment

Working...
                              X