Strange Addresses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strange Addresses

Parents address on a Baptism Record in 1872 is "5. iii. Roscoe L."..........if you were looking this up for the first time, you may be confused. It is similar to many I have become used to seeing so translated it becomes, "5 House, 3 Court, Roscoe Lane."
    I suppose we are recording detail today that might be equally strange in 140 years time?

Yeah I've come across the baptism images of my great granddad and his siblings and they all same Staynton le Street or something simillar to that..
    Lennon. Phillips. Thomas. Peacock. Tubridy. Burton.

I am the girl from that town & I'm darn proud of it.

Comment

That sort of address sounds as if it could have been somewhere very cramped. Have you looked at contemporary maps?

Christine
      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

considering the difference in street names from that time it's now changed to a more respectable Stainton.. Which is where their father was from Great Stainton..
        Last edited by lennon2011; 08-09-12, 18:10.
        Lennon. Phillips. Thomas. Peacock. Tubridy. Burton.

I am the girl from that town & I'm darn proud of it.

Comment

Working...
        X