Where are they in 1851?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where are they in 1851?

I am looking for Alexander McDonald and his family in 1851 census.

I know they immigrated to Tasmania in 1853 aboard the Panama.

This is the family in 1841....source freecen.

Piece: SCT1841/544 Place: Kilninian & Kilmore -Argyllshire Enumeration District: 3
    Civil Parish: Ulva Qs Ecclesiastical Parish, Village or Island:
    Folio: 21 Page: 8
    Address: Glaicnagallan

Sorry Nickee,
    Have had to remove your info as it is a copy and paste from another website which contravenes copyright.
    Can you transcribe it please - or just give a link to the relevant page on the freecen website.
    Thanks
    Last edited by Elaine ..Spain; 08-09-12, 14:45. Reason: removed C&P - copyright

How about Piece 549 folio 72 page 9 (Ardglass, Kilninian)?
    Last edited by col48; 08-09-12, 15:11. Reason: cut out copyright data

Comment

I am not sure if that is them in 1851............Alexander has aged 4 years..........and Col is missing...........and he definitely immigrated with them.

Here is the link to the 1841 census.

Use FreeCEN to access 19th Century UK Censuses online and for free. You can use FreeCEN transcriptions to discover your ancestors' occupation, family history and household information.

Comment

Alexander's age is consistent (assuming Scotland used the same rules as England and Wales) because in 1841 ages over 14 were supposed to be rounded down to the nearest 5. They weren't always, and people didn't always know - or remember consistently from census to census - the year they were born.

My search was for a household in Argyllshire with Flora Macdonald born 1801-21 (allow variants in both names) with an Alexander in the same household. There were three answers but this was the only one with this couple at the head of the family.

Perhaps the migration record, and later Tasmanian Censuses, mention the other children?

Coll may be a servant in the household of Flory McDougall (Piece 544 folio 23 page 4). He is 17, born Kilmore. This is one of two in Argyllshire born 1831-5 but the other one is with his parents.

Comment

there are no census for australia unfortunately. they are used for statistical purposes and then destroyed. last year was the first time there was an option for the individual returns to be kept in the archives for release in 100 years.

Comment

I am not even 100% sure I have the right family........they named their farm "Glen Ulva"....so I think they had a connection to there.

I am working back from Alexander Macdonald immigration record.

And here is his sons immigration record.

Comment

I have another question.

I have found the marriage on Scotlands people for Alexander Mcdonald and Flora Mcdonald 20-3-1831 Kilninian and Kilmore Argyll Scotland.

It says there is no image.

So how do I find out if he was a widow or not when he married.

Am I doing somthing wrong.

I have not used Scotlands people before.

Comment

have you emailed them? what did they say?

Comment

Originally posted by Nickee View Post
                  I have another question.

I have found the marriage on Scotlands people for Alexander Mcdonald and Flora Mcdonald 20-3-1831 Kilninian and Kilmore Argyll Scotland.

It says there is no image.

So how do I find out if he was a widow or not when he married.

Am I doing somthing wrong.

I have not used Scotlands people before.
                  If you can't get an image from Scotlandspeople they have the record on here https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XTN4-S9D and it's on microfiche which you can order to view at your local Family History Centre.

It may not show much more because it is a parish record and often not much was recorded.

Margaret

Comment

if familysearch has it and it shows in the search indexes on scotlandspeople but you cant get the image, email them and tell them your problem. they will get you the image. they are very good that way.

Comment

Working...
                    X