Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Samuel Goodenough (1773-1858) & James Huntley (1794-1878)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Samuel Goodenough (1773-1858) & James Huntley (1794-1878)

There is an Australian website (name ending .com.au) with a GOODENOUGH genealogy, perhaps dated around 2001.

It includes the Samuel of the heading. I have him as a remote twig in my tree through his daughter who does not get a mention among the 4500 folk in the Australian tree, so I emailed the owner using the address given on the site (and two others I found on the net for him). They all bounced, but I don't like to waste information, so here it is.... (The Bishop mentioned was Samuel's father, also called Samuel, who was Bishop of Carlisle 1808-1827, see Wikipedia)

You may (or may not!) be interested to know that Rev Samuel James Goodenough 1773-1858 had a daughter Anne (c1801 to 13 Dec 1870) who married Rev James Webster Huntley (c1794 to 30 July 1878) who was Vicar of Thursby, Cumberland in the 1861 and 1871 Censuses (perhaps was Vicar by 1841). No doubt his relationship with the Bishop helped him get this position! JWH was also Lord of the Manor of Boxwell in Gloucestershire and (after a break in the 19th and part of the 20th Centuries) a Huntley lives at Boxwell Court today. The Huntley family can trace their ancestry through family members who fought on different sides in the English Civil War to illegitimate children of more than one Plantagenet King of England. He is something like my 7th cousin, 4 times removed - if I have traced it correctly.
Working...
X