George Underhill 1807, Mayfield

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• George Underhill 1807, Mayfield

Hi, I have hit a wall of no information on the family tree, I'm trying to track down the parents of George Underhill of Mayfield, Sussex, England, b:1807 - d:1878, I know he married a Frances Stapely on 5 May 1832 - Withyham, Sussex and they had ten children. I have searched the all the usual websites and Parish records but have no luck.

Without trying to get a marriage certificate if there is one, does anyone have this George Underhill in their family tree?

Julian

Originally posted by redfox71 View Post
    Hi, I have hit a wall of no information on the family tree, I'm trying to track down the parents of George Underhill of Mayfield, Sussex, England, b:1807 - d:1878, I know he married a Frances Stapely on 5 May 1832 - Withyham, Sussex and they had ten children. I have searched the all the usual websites and Parish records but have no luck.

Without trying to get a marriage certificate if there is one, does anyone have this George Underhill in their family tree?

Julian
    You would not get a marriage certificate as such as civil registration did not start until 1837 so all that you could get is the entry in the Parish Register which often did not give parents names.

How do you know George was born in Mayfield?

Margaret

Comment

I can see you have found George in the censuses from 1841 and from 1851 onwards he says born Mayfield, although interestingly that is 10 miles from where he got married - I wonder why?

Perhaps someone with parish records for Mayfiled may be able to help with a baptism for him.

Margaret

Comment

Just had a look for Sussex FHS to see if they could help and found this http://www.sussex-opc.org/index.php?...l=&b=index.php so no one has transcribed the records for Mayfield yet.

Margaret

Comment

Just for ref
          spouse: Frances Stapely
          groom's name: George Underhill
          bride's name: Frances Stapely
          marriage date: 1832
          marriage place: Saint Michaels, Withyham, Sussex, England
          indexing project (batch) number: M15201-1
          system origin: England-VR
          source film number: 1067363

If you view the record, there are usually details of whether they were from the parish, spinster/batchelor/etc and also witnesses. Parish banns are useful to check in case it gives their original parish. Might be worth visiting your LDS Church and order the parish records if you are not local
          Elaine

Looking for Ward, Moore, Hunt, Warren...and who was Gertrude Wills

http://leicestermoores.tribalpages.com
          http://wardnottsleics.tribalpages.com

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine View Post
            Just for ref
            spouse: Frances Stapely
            groom's name: George Underhill
            bride's name: Frances Stapely
            marriage date: 1832
            marriage place: Saint Michaels, Withyham, Sussex, England
            indexing project (batch) number: M15201-1
            system origin: England-VR
            source film number: 1067363

If you view the record, there are usually details of whether they were from the parish, spinster/batchelor/etc and also witnesses. Parish banns are useful to check in case it gives their original parish. Might be worth visiting your LDS Church and order the parish records if you are not local
            That's a good suggestion Elaine.

Margaret

Comment

The Sussex Marriage Index says they were "both of this parish", mo additional details like names of witnesses though.

Comment

I would like to thank all that replied to the thread.

Secondly, I am a complete novice when it comes to Genealogy, it’s like trying to do a jigsaw puzzle in the dark, that’s if you have found all the pieces!

QUESTION: In the records there is a Daniel Underhill b: 1756 Mayfield, Sussex ch: 21st Mar 1756 St. Dunstan Church who married Hannah Ashby b: 1763 Mayfield, Sussex ch: 22nd May 1763 St. Dunstan Church d: January 1837 Mayfield, Sussex, aged 74 years bur: 23rd Jan 1837 St. Dunstan Church, Mayfield, Sussex.

Marriage was 19th Nov 1785 St. Dunstan Church, Mayfield, Sussex, in the records it said there is only one child: Lucy Underhill b: 6th Mar 1803 Mayfield, Sussex d: 15th Aug 1871 Heathfield, Sussex, married William Hobden 1821. Could it be possible they had a second child called George Underhill in 1807 Mayfield?

Mayfield in 1800 can't be that big, can it?

Comment

Working...
                X