Trial records

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trial records

A friend has asked me if I can help resource details of a Trial.

He's found out his GtG'father committed some crime - he doesn't know what, that's why he'd like more details, because he was imprisoned.

The trial was in Kent - with a reference No. HO27/134/278 on 6 Jan 1863 - could anyone point me/us where to look please

Thanks
    Dorothy G

searching Gillett (Preston/Sheffield). Campbell and Hepburn in Glasgow

There's no such thing as a Free Lunch

I can't help you with the specific area but just to say that I have copies of m 3 x g grandad's trial records from 1830 and they were very detailed and informative. Well worth getting.
    Newspaper articles were also extremely useful.
    Good luck.
    herky
    Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

Thanks Herky - can you give a likely link to Newspaper articles please. Not something I've had to use for myself at all so far.
      Dorothy G

Comment

Dorothy, you can sometimes access the 19th Century British Newspaper Collection via your local library.
        Do you have a library card with a PIN number - if so go to you local country library website and see if they allow newspaper access.

There is also the British Newspaper Archive site, which is a relatively new site - subscription needed
        Whether you are a researcher, historian or you simply want to know more about Britain's history, take this fantastic opportunity to search The British Newspaper Archive - a vast treasure trove of historical newspapers from your own home.
        Elaine

Comment

Sorry but the newspaper records I got personally from visiting the National Library of Scotland and viewing the actual paper copies.
          Not much help to you.
          However most public libraries hold old newspapers on film or paper.
          herky
          Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

Thank you Elaine and Herky. I'll pass that info on.
            Dorothy G

Comment

HO27/134/278 refers to documents in the collections at The National Archive at Kew - in this case Home Office Criminal Registers, which are also available on Ancestry.
              Last edited by AntonyM; 06-09-12, 14:49.
              Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk
              Follow me on Twittter @ChalfontR

Comment

Thanks Antony.

Elaine has kindly been helpful, so all I'm getting I'm passing on to friend.

Just seen you are a professional researcher, that's handy to know
                Dorothy G

Comment

Is there a name you can give? I am looking at numerous convictions that occurred 6 Jan 1863 in Kent, on the Ancestry site.

Beverley

Comment

Working...
                  X