Easton in Australia and NZ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Easton in Australia and NZ

EDIT: fresh request in post #23 for sightings of Isabel Marguerite Easton nee Adamson in 1944 onwards

My starting point is Lockhart Dobbie Easton, born 1854 in Girvan, Ayrshire. Both Lockhart and Dobbie are well-used family names, which makes tracing descendants fairly straightforward. This is what I know about him:

Sailed Glasgow to Melbourne aged 22 on the Loch Ard arriving May 1877. Was this the Loch Ard which was shipwrecked and gave its name to a bay on the shipwreck coast?

In 1880 he's living in Sydenham, Canterbury, NZ and is a teacher. There's a NZ birth record in 1880 for a son Lockhart Easton, mother Catherine. I can't find any details of this Catherine. Lockhart jun. in 1891 is with the grandparents in Scotland on his own and then disappears.

By 1885 Lockhart sen. has moved to Auckland, and in 1889 he's admitted as a solicitor.
    In 1891 he has a daughter Elizabeth Lockhart Easton with Elizabeth Biddy Boult in Woodville, South Australia. She dies in 1945 in New Zealand.
    In 1892-3 he's a teacher at Crystal Brook, South Australia, but resigns.
    In 1896-1911 they are living in the Tasman district of NZ. From 1905 onwards he is shown as a solicitor.
    In 1912 he is nominated to the school board in Nelson and in 1914 he dies.
    Daughter Elizabeth marries Alexander Stewart in NZ in 1916.

This is as much as I've been able to find out, using Ancestry, Familysearch, the NZ BMD indexes and a few Google hits. So who was Catherine and what happened to her? What happened to Lockhart jun. afer 1891? And what happened to Elizabeth Biddy between 1914 and 1945? Did he actually marry either of these ladies?

There's a gap in the NZ electoral rolls between the death of Lockhart sen. in 1914 and the 1940's, when the name pops up again, possiibly one or more families of descendants.

I'm hoping that someone more skilled with Australian and NZ sources may be able to give me some leads.
    Last edited by Uncle John; 15-09-12, 14:25. Reason: request for fresh information
    Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

as far as catherine goes, you may need that certificate to get anywhere. they should be fairly detailed at that point, parents birthplace's and marriage dates etc.

marriage of elizabeth may give you her mother as a witness.....

you can't do wildcard searching in the new zealand indexes, so you may need to think of spelling variations for anyone you may not have.

Comment

Lockhart Easton junior returns to NZ.
      He sails on 13/9/1900 from London to Wellington on the ship Paparoa and he is listed as Gentleman.

Comment

You might be able to trace some information through the Australian Newspapers on Trove website

Trove - The National Library of Australia, in collaboration with Australian State and Territory libraries, runs the Australian Newspaper Digitization Program with the aim of making as many publications available online as possible.

This seems to be a marriage for Lockhart junior. (note second son of Lockhart D Easton)

Sydney Morning Herald 1 Sep 1914

MARRIAGES. EASTON-HINGERTY.-August 24, at the Sacred Heart Church, Darlinghurst, by the Right Rev. Monsignor O’Haran, Lockhart, second son of the late Lockhart D. Easton, of Motueka, New Zealand, to Eleanor Margaret, daughter of the late William Hingerty, Cootamundra.

SYdney Morning Herald 18 Sep 1929
        MUDGEE, Tuesday.

Mr. Lockhart Easton, economics teacher at the Mudgee High School, has been selected by the Kandos Labour League as the candi- date to oppose Mr. S. Gardner for the Robert- son seat at the forthcoming Federal eleotlons. Mr Easton has decided to allow his name to be submitted for election.

I will have a look at the electoral rolls

Di
        Diane
        Sydney Australia
        Avatar: Reuben Edward Page and Lilly Mary Anne Dawson

Comment

NSW Electoral Rolls

Easton Lockhart 21 Glibert St Parramatta, teacher
          Easton Eleanor Margaret 21 Gilbert St, home duties
          Easton Lockhart William, 21 GIlbert St, clerk

Easton Lockhart, Barnett Road, Hornsby,no occupation
          Easton Eleanor Margaret, Barnett Road, Hornsby homeduties

NSW BDM INdexes (http://www.bdm.nsw.gov.au/cgi-bin/In...h?event=births)
          Deaths
          Reg No Last Name Given Name(s) Father's Given Name(s) Mother's Given Name(s) District
          882/1952 EASTON LOCKHART LOCKHART DOBIE KATHERINE LAURIE HORNSBY
          9380/1979 EASTON BETTY MARGARET LOCKHART ELEANOR MARGARET

Marriages
          9522/1914 EASTON LOCKHART HINGERTY ELEANOR M
          29799/1940 EASTON LOCKHART WILLIAM ADAMSON ISABEL MARGUERITE

From ancestry birth indexes

Australia Birth Index, 1788-1922 about Elizabeth Lockhart Easton
          Name: Elizabeth Lockhart Easton
          Birth Date: 17 Nov 1891
          Father's Name: Lockhart Dobbie Easton
          Mother's Name: Elizabeth Biddy Boult
          Birth Place: Woodville
          Registration Place: Port Adelaide, South Australia

There are more children in the NZ indexes

1879/13908 Easton Matthew George Catherine Lockart Dobbie
          1882/7666 Easton Catherine Laurie Hill Catherine Lockhart
          1887/9301 Easton Thomas Elizabeth Biddy Lockhart Dobbie
          1889/17544 Easton Matthew George Elizabeth Biddy Lockhart Dobbie
          1890/9663 Easton Louisa Norton Elizabeth Biddy Lockhart Dobbie
          1886/5753 Easton William Boult Elizabeth Biddy Lockhart Dobbie
          1880/14409 Easton Lockhart Catherine Lockhart Dobbin

William Boult Easton married in NZ in 1915.

Di
          Diane
          Sydney Australia

Comment

From the NZ Marriages
            Catherine Hill married Lockhart D Easton in 1878.

Paperspast website (NZ newspapers on line)
            shows an article that Catherine Laurie Easton, wife of Lockhart (late headmaster Sydenham School), died 30 May 1885 at the Free Church Manse in Darvel Scotland

so the whole family must have gone to Scotland. Then Lockhart returned to NZ, married there and then moved to South Australia where they had Elizabeth, then returned to NZ.

Elizabeth BIddy Easton is listed in the NZ ELEctoral Rolls for 1928, 1935 and 1938 at Moteuka, Tasman division. An ancestry family tree says they married in Wanganui in 1885
            Last edited by dicole; 06-09-12, 12:42.
            Diane
            Sydney Australia

Comment

I did post a thank-you earlier, which got lost somewhere. But I'm staggered by what you, particularly Diane, have turned up. I now know where to look for Catherine's death. It helps to explain why Lockhart jun. was "abandoned" with his grandparents in 1891.

Comment

Matthew George Easton (1) died 1880 aged 10 months.
                Catherine Lawrie Hill Easton died 1882 aged 3 months.

So Lockhart's first marriage was a rather sad affair. And his second wife Elizabeth was a widow for over 30 years.
                Last edited by Uncle John; 06-09-12, 21:24.

Comment

A little mystery: Elizabeth Biddy's surname is BOULT in the Australian birth record of daughter Elizabeth in 1891. But it is BRUCE in the NZ marriage record in 1885.

Comment

Hi UJ

It did not take long to find all that information - I find the digitised newspaper websites particularly useful in picking up clues and information, especially if the names are fairly unusual. Don't know why the discrepancy in Elizabeth's surname but may be just a mis-recording or a strong accent ?

Diane
                    Diane
                    Sydney Australia

Comment

may not have been clear on the record what it actually said i think. some hand writing is despicable on old records, like a doctor wrote it.

Comment

Update, moving down the tree:

Lockhart jun. (1880-1952) and Eleanor had 2 children: Betty Margaret - died NSW 1979 and Lockhart William - married NSW 1940 to Isabel Marguerite ADAMSON.
                        William Boult (b. 1886) married Mabel Hope DUDLEY 1915 NZ.
                        Thomas (b. 1887) married Edith Henrietta BATEMAN 1914 NZ.
                        Matthew George (b. 1889) no marriage found. Incidentally Matthew George is an old family combination of names.
                        Louisa Norton (b. 1890) married Thomas Patrick CARROLL 1916 NZ.
                        Elizabeth Lockhart (b. 1891) married William Alexander Clark STEWART 1916 NZ.

I haven't yet tried searching for these people on Ancestry. I expect to find at least some of them in the electoral rolls.
                        Last edited by Uncle John; 07-09-12, 08:35.

Comment

Yes, I saw some of them in the Aus and NZ Electoral Rolls on ancestry when I was looking before.

You could also look in the Ryerson Index - which is an index to Australian Newspaper Death Notices - mostly from the end of the BDM indexes to up current day. You can also ask for a lookup of the full death notice, which will give surviving rellies etc.

Happy hunting

Di
                          Diane
                          Sydney Australia

Comment

You can find WW1/2 records for some of them here, including digitised service records (log in as a guest to the NAA site):

Last edited by Mary from Italy; 07-09-12, 19:20.

Comment

Thanks Mary. I spotted one or two of them on Ancestry. I've also pinned down some more BMDs, within the date constraints of the NZ BMD system, and a whole pile of addresses from the NZ electoral rolls.

Comment

You'll find some extra children for Lockhart and Eleanor among the service records on the NAA site.

Comment

Originally posted by Mary from Italy View Post
                                  You'll find some extra children for Lockhart and Eleanor among the service records on the NAA site.
                                  I'e currently only got Lockhart William and Betty Margaret. I only found the latter because she shared a house with her widowed mother for many years and the former because he was with his parents in 1943. I found heaps of Eastons on the west coast of the South Island but nothing yet to link them in.

Comment

I've now got 2 more children for Lockhart and Eleanor - Thomas and John - from obituary and roll of honour notices for Lockhart William who died in 1944 (prison ship torpedoed in the South China Sea).

PapersPast has given me an obituary for Elizabeth Biddy Easton nee Boult in 1945. This confirms her maiden name as Boult and says she was the only one of 8 siblings to be born in NZ after her parents (Mr & Mrs W Boult of Norfolk) arrived in Auckland in 1851. It also mentions the short interlude in Crystal Brook, South Australia.

Comment

Re Bruce / Boult. They could look similar in old cursive handwriting.

Comment

True. I'm now pretty certain that Mr W Boult was called William. I've found a death notice in 1874 for William Boult aged 44, butcher and slaughterman of Havelock, from England. He left a widow and 12 children! So I'm now trawling PapersPast for William Boult. I've got to 1881, so there's some way to go. I've turned up 3 possible marriages for children.

Comment

Working...
                                        X