Elliot - Forest of Dean c.1851 - 1861

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Elliot - Forest of Dean c.1851 - 1861

I am looking for a family called Elliot(t) who were in, or around the Forest of Dean between 1851 and 1861, I have census returns and can identify a birth in the area from four possible birth records. The father is called John, the wife/spouse is Julia A and the child is William, born 1856 in the forest of Dean (or so it says). What I am trying to identify is the mother's maiden name. Can anyone help?

Thanks
    Uncle heFTy

Do you know the amazing Forest of Dean family history website? Full transcriptions of about 90% of Forest of Dean parish and non-conformist registers, and lots of other goodies. You have to register to search the parish registers, but it's free.

We invite you to read, share and make new connections with other Forest of Dean researchers with the help of the resources that we make available.

Enjoy!

Comment

The baptism record of William is available on the Forest of Dean website

26 May 1856 William Elliot
      Parents John and Juliet
      Address Littledean Woodside
      Parish chapel - Drybrook.

Unfortunately it doesn't give MMN but looking for Juliet rather than Julia (as per the census) might be useful.

We invite you to read, share and make new connections with other Forest of Dean researchers with the help of the resources that we make available.
      Elaine

Comment

First, thanks for the swift response. I had no idea of the FoD's existence - have since found the son's records and the name of the wife is slightly different but all else stacks up. Onwards and backwards eh!

Uncle H

Comment

Also of use of UKBMD sites - BMDs being transcribed with, in some cases, maiden names being added.

Gloucestershire UKBMD - http://ww3.gloucestershire.gov.uk/bmd/

A search for a William Elliot(t) born c1856 in Forest of Dean shows two results, one with MMN of Gainey and the other with MMN of Ormsby.
          Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
            Also of use of UKBMD sites - BMDs being transcribed with, in some cases, maiden names being added.

Gloucestershire UKBMD - http://ww3.gloucestershire.gov.uk/bmd/

A search for a William Elliot(t) born c1856 in Forest of Dean shows two results, one with MMN of Gainey and the other with MMN of Ormsby.
            I think you could probably rule out the William Elliott with MMN of Gainey, as there are a number of other entries shows with the same combination.

The birth of William Elliott with MMN of Ormsby is the only Elliott/Ormsby entry, so might be a starting point for you.

By the way, the UKMBDs sites are not complete so you still need to view freeBMD or similar.
            Elaine

Comment

Working...
            X