Irish and Baptism

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Irish and Baptism

possibly a stupid question but would children born and living in England of Irish parents be baptised or christened or anything ? and if so where ?

Hmm a difficult one. My Nanna's English but her Father's family is Irish and neither I nor my rather distant relatives have come across any baptisms/christenings within the searches. If you do suspect that of happening then I'd suggest the location of the child's birth maybe?
    Lennon. Phillips. Thomas. Peacock. Tubridy. Burton.

I am the girl from that town & I'm darn proud of it.

Comment

thanks Lennon , they were all born in Newington Surrey, so would have thought they would have been on Ancestry if they had been .

Comment

It might be worth writing to the registry office there. Maybe able to help...

Comment

If they were Catholic, I'm sure they would have had the children baptised. Way back when, the general congregation believed that unbaptised children could not go to heaven if they died. That belief was held right up until the 1960s.

Strangely, there was never an official church belief in 'limbo' (that place unbaptised bubs went) but it was left unchallenged by the powers that be so people would baptise.

That belief would worry most people into baptising babies ASAP.

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
            thanks Lennon , they were all born in Newington Surrey, so would have thought they would have been on Ancestry if they had been .
            The London Metropolitan Archive records on Ancestry are Church of England records.
            Elaine

Comment

Wait. I've just realised. Nanna was meant to be catholic, had the confirmation so surely she'd have been baptized?

Comment

Originally posted by lennon2011 View Post
                Wait. I've just realised. Nanna was meant to be catholic, had the confirmation so surely she'd have been baptized?
                Correct - if she was confirmed in the Catholic church, she would have been baptised at some time previously.
                Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk
                Follow me on Twittter @ChalfontR

Comment

I must have over 30 Catholic baptism records saved on my tree all names in Latin from Liverpool Irish families. Do you know the church she was confirmed at? If you have a place of birth and a local RC church turns up for marriages confirmations etc used by the family I would be surprised if a ledger was not in existence with details of the baptism. Try local family history site for the area or give the priest a ring.... I found that most baptisms are within 6 weeks of birth.
                  John

Brick wall in Ireland demolished after 25 years! Looking for any more Carrolls of Stradbally Parish, Waterford in particular Thomas Carroll b1861 married Bridget Leavy 1896 in QLD Australia..chipping away!

Comment

I have some of the children of Irish parents living in Barnsley Yorkshire in the 1850s baptised in the Catholic Church there once it had opened.

The amazing thing is .... one of them is my great grandfather and I'm certain my Granny did not know. She held a rather staunch C of E 1930s attitude to "those RCs"

Anne

Comment

John.......do you have Thomas and Bridget's children? I just had a look.....can't resist Qld research...lol

Comment

All of my Irish Catholic ancestors without exception were baptised, including the families who moved to England, but not always in the churches I expected to find them at!

Comment

If anyone's in York I'd love it if you could help solve the mystery that end.. I'm going to do the internet side of it, hopefully I get somewhere..

Comment

If you know the chiurch of baptism then it is always worth trying to contact the church for baptismal information though be aware that not all priests will reply though if you call at the church they will often help then.

If you are sure they are Catholic then yes the answer is that practically all catholics of years gone by would have been baptised in the Catholic church, as baptismal certificates had to be produced for so many things ie catholic schools and to get married in a catholic church.

If a baptism cannot be found this is most probably because the parents would have taken their children back "home" to Ireland to where their parents lived to have the children baptised and this was a very common practice amongst the Irish catholics of the late 1800/1900's.

Janet
                            Last edited by Janet; 04-09-12, 10:45.

Comment

Thanks for all your very informative replies, I dont know much about the Catholic religion , as you can tell.
                              Janet that amazes me ? would they have taken them back within a short time of birth or waited till they had a few to baptise? as surely it would have been too much in costs and time to keep travelling back there? more or less each year.

Comment

Might be worth having a look at the Catholic Family History Society website - http://www.catholic-history.org.uk/cfhs/ and possibly that of the Catholic National Library - http://www.catholic-library.org.uk/index.html

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
                                  Janet that amazes me ? would they have taken them back within a short time of birth or waited till they had a few to baptise? as surely it would have been too much in costs and time to keep travelling back there? more or less each year.
                                  No they would have been "done" as soon as possible and yes they did go backwards and forwards to Ireland a lot more than many of us realise. For starters many were working on the land and went backwards and forwards for work especially from ploughing time through to harvest time as in many of the country districts like Dorset. If they were living in the UK the Irish pull was often so strong that relatives "back home" insisted they came "home" for the baptisms. I have a family in the USA who were encouraged to send their children back to Ireland to be educated!! Needless to say that did not happen, but baptisms in Ireland from the UK were very comon. My OH has many!

There is a Cathoilc Library near Aldershot which has many Catholic Baptisms in books from many churches all over the country, though not sure exactly what their holdings are, but Sue above has given you some contact websites for the Cathoilc Family History and the Catholic Library.

The Catholic FHS may not be much good to you as it is a Society dealing mainly with the catholics of the UK going back into the dark ages! We belong to this society as my OH has English Catholics going back to the 1700's. It is a society dealing with Catholic issues going back to the 1500's and beyond. The cost to join is more expensive than other FHS, at £15 a year and they run conferences every year, usually in Liverpool. They produce some very erudite books dealing with many Catholic issues and you receive a free copy as well as quarterly volumes, hence the higher cost. One of the books produced is all about the Bar Convent Nuns in York. However, there is always a contact list of new members, so you may strike lucky and find someone researching the same Catholic family

I would say the Catholic Library would be of more interest to you regarding the baptisms but you will probably have to visit. I have been there and my OH obtained some baptisms from Dorset. Happy Hunting!

Janet
                                  Last edited by Janet; 04-09-12, 15:40.

Comment

Thanks for that info Janet. My OH has family back in the 1600 and 1700s who we suspect were Catholics in the Lakes District of what was then Lancs.

Comment

oddly enough i'm actually emailing someone right now. it's been back and forth for an hour now and it started with me posting my grandad's war regiment on a site asking for information. long story short he's now managed to find the baptism records of my grandad's grandad and brothers and father just by saying one name. how the bloody hell has he managed that??!

Comment

Originally posted by lennon2011 View Post
                                        oddly enough i'm actually emailing someone right now. It's been back and forth for an hour now and it started with me posting my grandad's war regiment on a site asking for information. Long story short he's now managed to find the baptism records of my grandad's grandad and brothers and father just by saying one name. How the bloody hell has he managed that??!
                                        luck!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                        X