Yayyyyy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yayyyyy

Is happy to say that after only one week of searching, I am not officially complete with my tree :D Well to a certain degree anyway..
    Lennon. Phillips. Thomas. Peacock. Tubridy. Burton.

I am the girl from that town & I'm darn proud of it.

wow - am impressed, am nowhere near complete and that's after 5 years !!

Comment

I wouldn't have gotten that far without Mundia though...

Comment

I suppose it all depends what we mean by "complete" and how much info you already had before the start of your "one week". One week on a computer could probably give a good idea of several generations if lucky with easily identifiable names and occupations but how have you verified that the info you've found is accurate and belongs to your family, or got back very far in that time?

PS I started round about 1985 but still have a few of lines which are far from complete and still find new info on a regular basis.
        Last edited by JudithM; 04-09-12, 08:14.
        Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

I have verified the information with the other trees, I started with myself of 91 and it's a mix of both my parents families but it's not fair that I don't have much to go on for my Dad. There's no mention of WHO his Grandad is at all. No names, no paperwork. Nothing.. But Dad's happy to just have his main family as they are now his priority etc. Hell I should hope so as he's my carer/ mixed in with Mum of course.

Comment

As Judith says, it all depends on what we mean & want by complete!!!!

I have been researching for over 20yrs, constantly for the last 9yrs since I got a computer, there is no way I would consider my tree complete & I would be very disapointed if I ever came to that conclusion.
            Vivienne passed away July 2013

Comment

True but I never had the complete goal in mind. I had this whole searching grandparents and possible great- grandparents and i'd be happy and as I said in my one and only blog I've got back a few generations.. I just thought i'd have peacock, phillips, tubridy and lennon.. not the whole list that i have found..

Comment

Lennon

You really do need to independently verify any information you find on Mundia (or anywhere else for that matter) as internet trees are not always accurate and are sometimes complete works of fiction.

You need to buy some certificates to validate your findings.

OC

Comment

I'm actually waiting for some documents to arrive in the post..

Comment

Some people find surprises even with information about close relatives. You only have to watch "Heir Hunters" to see what porkies get told. People with Ancestry (Mundia) trees sometimes pick the first likely match, which may be a child that died. If you try to go back more than one generation at a time without getting certificates, you can go wrong very quickly. It's surprising how often "what Aunty told me" isn't quite right.
                    Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

As already said - you must verify with primary sources - eg certificates etc
                      I have seen many wrong trees on Ancestry and other sites.
                      My own ggg grandad has the wrong wife on one tree and this has been copied by numerous others - I have all the certificates to confirm my version of events.
                      Just please be aware as it is such a shame to go down the wrong avenue - we have all been there.

As Uncle John said families don't always have the correct version - my great gran had a completely different father from what was thought by all the close relatives.
                      Came as quite a surprise to me also - no wonder I couldn't find her for many years!:(

Genealogy is a wonderful hobby and I hope when your certs arrive they confirm things for you.
                      Good luck.
                      herky
                      Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

Cheers :D I've kinda got a new hobby now. Grave hunting :P

Comment

Originally posted by lennon2011 View Post
                          Cheers :D I've kinda got a new hobby now. Grave hunting :P
                          Oh you will enjoy that - lots of lovely info on grave stones.
                          My only advice there would be try to do it in nice weather - I always manage to get rainy days and end up soaked and muddy.

Have a look at MI books (most family history societies sell them) and there are some MIs online, depending on the area.

Have fun.
                          herky
                          Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

Originally posted by herky View Post
                            Oh you will enjoy that - lots of lovely info on grave stones.
                            My only advice there would be try to do it in nice weather - I always manage to get rainy days and end up soaked and muddy.

Have a look at MI books (most family history societies sell them) and there are some MIs online, depending on the area.

Have fun.
                            That sounds a wise move - Gravestones and their inscriptions can very easily be damaged - even by doing things that seem as if they should be helpful. Definitely worth a look at some of the reference material first.

Christine
                            Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

I started in the early 1950s and have hardly scratched the surface of my tree.
                              I do have rooms and rooms full of paperwork and quite a number of hard-drives of data full of research but the end is nowhere in sight.
                              I suppose it'll taken me a few more lifetimes (here's hoping for re-incarnation).
                              I have just got to work out how to keep my research with me through the trip, perhaps Dr. Who may be able to help. ;)
                              Cheers
                              Guy
                              Last edited by Guy; 05-09-12, 07:03.
                              Guy passed away October 2022

Comment

Originally posted by lennon2011 View Post
                                I have verified the information with the other trees, I started with myself of 91 and it's a mix of both my parents families but it's not fair that I don't have much to go on for my Dad. There's no mention of WHO his Grandad is at all. No names, no paperwork. Nothing.. But Dad's happy to just have his main family as they are now his priority etc. Hell I should hope so as he's my carer/ mixed in with Mum of course.
                                Oh please dont depend on other peoples trees, I saw a tree a few weeks ago that had one George Hill born in Worcester, by 1851 he was in Utah, by 1868 he was dead & was resurrected again to appear on the 1871 & 1881 cencus in England, no less than 5 people had copied this information.:o
                                Last edited by Ellen Proctor; 05-09-12, 08:34. Reason: sp

Comment

Originally posted by Ellen Proctor View Post
                                  Oh please dont depend on other peoples trees, I saw a tree a few weeks ago that had one George Hill born in Worcester, by 1851 he was in Utah, by 1868 he was dead & was resurrected again to appear on the 1871 & 1881 cencus in England, no less than 5 people had copied this information.:o
                                  I agree - there are any number of people who have annexed my family to their trees by disregarding the evidence and simply 'plumping' for a name that matches - a common name too that could equally apply to many hundreds of people but because they found my tree on ancestry they thought that was it !

I've taken it off public view now as it annoys me and when someone queries it they will not be able to check back - I have told them where they have gone wrong but they just ignore me as it would mean them actually having to do some research themselves and spend some money!

Margaret

Comment

Originally posted by Ellen Proctor View Post
                                    Oh please dont depend on other peoples trees
                                    And if you get any of your research from FamilySearch you do need to check carefully if it is a submitted entry. I have an instance in my own tree where somebody has assumed the parents of my great grandmother by going with 1871 and 1881 census returns. Buying just one certificate would have shown her she was wrong, as GG's mother had died soon after she was born in 1863 and her father had remarried, then died in 1871 and her stepmother had remarried before 1881. To be fair, it wan't very close to her own direct line but unfortunately it is impossible to correct those entries and it has just reappeared in the latest upload to their new site.
                                    Caroline
                                    Caroline's Family History Pages
                                    Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

There are also the newspapers to look at. Most libraries let you view the Gale Newspapers through your ticket and can do it at home. Also Genes Reunited have a pay to view newpaper collection that is very good. I found loads of obits re my extended family and saved me buying death certs for them (I do have them for all my direct line before anyone shouts at me).

Also love the idea of you going grave hunting, also see if you can get in the church as well and take photos especially of the font if you have baptims there.

Good luck and I'm sure you will be no where near finished now you have the 'bug'
                                      Lin

Searching Lowe, Everitt, Hurt and Dunns in Nottingham

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
                                        Lennon

You really do need to independently verify any information you find on Mundia (or anywhere else for that matter) as internet trees are not always accurate and are sometimes complete works of fiction.

You need to buy some certificates to validate your findings.

OC
                                        Wise words indeed....I don`t know whether OC remembers , but I had ggg grandad /ggg grandmother for 4 years from someone elses tree WHO WERE THE WRONG COUPLE ,,,so please don`t believe other peoples tree ....I never do that now - unless I see it on a cert or a parish record - I don`t accept any other record...
                                        9 years for me / still eager to find more ancestors ....what fascinates me is for example - mums side in 1812 - workhouse births / dads side 1812 - living in a mansion house and stinking rich ...... still find the difference in wealth / poverty amazing
                                        allan
                                        Allan ......... researching oakes/anyon/standish/collins/hartley/barker/collins-cheshire
                                        oakes/tipping/ellis/jones/schacht/...garston, liverpool
                                        adams-shropshire/roberts-welshpool
                                        merrick/lewis/stringham/nicolls-herefordshire
                                        coxon/williamson/kay/weaver-glossop/stockport/walker-gorton

Comment

Working...
                                        X