Benjamin John Kennedy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Benjamin John Kennedy

My grandfather won an OBE whilst working as a coastguard in North Devon. Is there any where I can look up what he won it for.

Di

Do you have an approximate date when the award was given?
    Elaine

Comment

Could this be him - entry in the London Gazette January 1948

John Benjamin - KENNEDY, Esq., District Officer, HM Coastguard, Ministry of Transport.
      (towards the bottom of first column)
      Elaine

Comment

That's him, have always been told he swam out to a wreck with a breechers buoy and would like to know the details.

Di

Comment

You could search the British Newspaper site - http://www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk

I can see an extract which states ..
          DRIFTING MINES DANGER TO SS. PAMELA
          “... m. Mr John Benjamin Kennedy, district officer coast guard, stationed at Croyd, said that in October, .
          Thu 13 Mar 1947, Western Daily Press, Bristol, England

I think you can pay for a 2 day access to the site which isn't too expensive. I don't know of anywhere else where you could get mid 20th century newspapers online.
          Elaine

Comment

There is a wreck report for SS Pamela on this link - http://www.plimsoll.org/resources/SC...orts/14189.asp

A reference to coastguards from Croyde mentioned in last paragraph, but no individual names.
            Elaine

Comment

Many thanks, he was the District Officer for the area, based at Croyde.

Di

Comment

Have read the report, but don't think he got his medal for the "Pamela"!

Di

Comment

Not sure what sort of subscription you have - there is another report about his retirement - might include something on his career or why he received the MBE

CROYDE COASTGUARD CHIEF TO RETIRE
                  “... CROYDE COASTGUARD CHIEF TO RETIRE Mr. J. B. Kennedy, MBE., district officer of ”
                  Thu 21 Oct 1948, North Devon Journal, Devon, England
                  Elaine

Comment

Ooh, what about this one
                    COASTGUARD HONOURED
                    “... COASTGUARD HONOURED M.B.E. for Croyde Resident Mr. J. B. Kennedy, of The Coast guard Station, ”
                    Thu 22 Jan 1948, North Devon Journal, Devon, England
                    Elaine

Comment

If you put - kennedy coastguard croyde - in the search box, and then filter your researchs by year (left hand column) you can see what shows up around 1947/1948.
                      Elaine

Comment

Sorry, I don't have a subscription, read the Board of Trade report for the Pamela. Will look at getting one if only for a couple of days. Many thanks for your help.

Di

Comment

Not too much in the North Devon Journal, they have suggested looking in the National Archives.

How do I start?

Di

Comment

What exactly are you looking for now Di - are you after his coastguard records or still looking for info about the award?
                            Elaine

Comment

Both I think! I know I was conceived at Croyde and he was also stationed at Brook in the Isle of Wight, but I know so little about my father's family, anything would be a bonus.

Di

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
                                Ooh, what about this one
                                COASTGUARD HONOURED
                                Thu 22 Jan 1948, North Devon Journal, Devon, England
                                Have you viewed this one yet?
                                Elaine

Comment

There are some links to Coastguard sites in our reference library - on the Maritime History page - click here

National Archives guide - http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/r...coastguard.htm
                                  Elaine

Comment

Thank you for your interest.

Di

Comment

The January article has little information, merely saying that he received congratulations on behalf of the service and a small photo.

Di

Comment

Working...
                                      X