Question re Methodists in early 1800's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question re Methodists in early 1800's

My 4xg Grandfather appears to have converted to the Methodists in early 1800's. His first wife was given a Methodist burial in May 1816, and in Nov 1817 his first daughter by his second wife was baptised. I cannot find the marriage between him and his second wife in the non-conformists register and wondered whether he would have been likely to have married in the parish church, or whether Methodists were strict about marrying other Methodists.

Thanks
    Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

People often used the parish church as that was the system of government and if you wanted parish relief at any time you had to prove you were of the parish so lots 'conformed' in that sense but otherwise didn't believe in that faith.

Margaret

Comment

Before 1837, the only place you could legally marry was C of E (except Jews and Quakers).

Many of my early noncons do not appear to have married but they were all in the social position of not needing parish relief - should they have fallen on hard times the noncon community would have supported them.

OC

Comment

Working...
      X