Arthur Edwin Clark 1903-1939

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arthur Edwin Clark 1903-1939

Hi im looking for my grandads parents, ive looked on 1911 census and can only find arthur edward clark with the parents henry j and ada palmer do you think that this is the right family? all i know is that arthur was born bristol and that is the right dates ive got. Just getting a bit confused.com thanks for any help

it could be him ,thing is quite often though people used their middles names on the census records?? Have you got any other clues?

Comment

Have you got Arthur's birth certificate? That should give you the parents' names, the mother's maiden name ("MMN"), the father's occupation, the address of the birth, as well as the date of birth.

If you don't get a reliable birth record, then you could have problems. Do you know what his DoB was?

If you're buying a BMD certificate, do make sure you buy direct: buying via an agent (several sites offer a "service") costs about three or four times the proper price of about £10 (£9.25 from GRO).

Or, if there's a relevant one, you can go to one of the local district sites: http://www.ukbmd.org.uk/local_bmd

Christine
      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

looking at the births he does seem to be the only one with those names around that time in Bristol ,

Comment

no details im afraid, and the only person left in the family is my mum (arthurs daughter) but she was only a baby when he died, so 1939 was the right year he died and born 1903, only details i have, he did marry kate bryer and they had children, srry and no i dont have the birth cert

Comment

im sure they did live in bedminster bristol, just asked my mum

Comment

do you know the names of any of his brothers or sisters????

Comment

no sorry ive no details whatsoever, my auntie would of known but she passed away before i started doing my tree, is there any other way of finding out apart from the birth cert

Comment

Christine is right you should at least get his birth cert its well worth the cost we could help you with the reg info if you dont have it , or you could take a chance and look at the family you think is his in 1911 but you might be on the wrong family?

Comment

I think his marriage certificate is what you need, as you already know his wife's name so can be sure you have the right one. The GRO ref is Arthur E Clark, spouse surname Bryer, 1923 June Quarter, Bristol district, volume 6a, page 35. This will give you his age at marriage and his father's name - useful to cross check with the 1911 census details.
                    Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

there are a few people on ancestry with him in their tree. is yours on there? seems to be some confusion as to Arthur Edwin or Arthur Edward ??

Comment

Originally posted by JudithM View Post
                        I think his marriage certificate is what you need, as you already know his wife's name so can be sure you have the right one. The GRO ref is Arthur E Clark, spouse surname Bryer, 1923 June Quarter, Bristol district, volume 6a, page 35. This will give you his age at marriage and his father's name - useful to cross check with the 1911 census details.
                        Good thinking. That will give his father's name and occupation. That's how I found my father's ancestry.

Christine
                        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
                          there are a few people on ancestry with him in their tree. is yours on there? seems to be some confusion as to Arthur Edwin or Arthur Edward ??
                          I have seen Edward, Edwin and Edgar, all conflated. I believe that Edwin is really a diminutive of Edward - like Robin/Robert.

Christine

Comment

Thats great thanks i will do that, can you tell me how i would go about finding out where he is buried to, same goes to my other grandad, (my nan remarried after arthur) im finding it hard with his details also, but i would like to know where they are both buried to thanks for your help anyway

Comment

i do have a tree on ancestry, i will look to see what others are on there, im just going over a few things to make sure i have the right people

Comment

Originally posted by kartrix View Post
                                Thats great thanks i will do that, can you tell me how i would go about finding out where he is buried to, same goes to my other grandad, (my nan remarried after arthur) im finding it hard with his details also, but i would like to know where they are both buried to thanks for your help anyway
                                It's reasonable (tho' not certain) to suppose a burial would have been in a similar are to the actual death - although it is not at all unknown (nor unreasonable) for a body to be "taken home" for burial.

A bit of hunting for likely death records is called for. There are also some sites with images from graveyards. Have you tried exploring the FTF Reference Library to see if there's anything there that could give you a hint?

Christine

Comment

what is FTF (sorry)
                                  i havnt looked because i dont know where to look, thanks for the info

Comment

oops sorry ftf yeah family tree forum. im so stupid

Comment

sorry I seem to have posted the same message twice. see above for my message re marriage cert.
                                      Last edited by JudithM; 03-09-12, 19:45. Reason: duplicate post
                                      Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

hi, no mum doesnt have any family papers etc, thanks everyone for your help i will let you know howi get on

Comment

Working...
                                        X