Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

History of a cottage..how can I research it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• History of a cottage..how can I research it?

I stopped over with my niece who lives in Hambrook, Bristol at the weekend. She is in a very quaint cottage joined to another that was a bakers in years gone by. The cottage is believed to be around 300 years old. I have done a fair bit of family history research but I have never looked at trying to trace the history of a house. I am now aware that the 'Gloucester Archives' who have a web page looks a good place to start digging. I would be much obliged if anyone can point me in the right direction.
    Also, I would be very interested in trying to find census records on the property. I don't have a name of any previous occupiers for traditional census search.... can I search census records via Ancestry using the just name of the cottage that is on Bristol Road, Hambrook? Or manually search the records for Bristol Road? .... I tried looking for code references for the area but got confused... not difficult. No access to the deeds to the house either. Thanks in advance
    John

Brick wall in Ireland demolished after 25 years! Looking for any more Carrolls of Stradbally Parish, Waterford in particular Thomas Carroll b1861 married Bridget Leavy 1896 in QLD Australia..chipping away!

You could possibly find the road on the census by browsing. If you go to the old search page on ancestry you can use the map to select a country then choose the census year. Once into that you get a panel on the right hand side which is headed browsing and you then have to select county district etc from drop down lists.

I started to look on the 1911 but Hambrook does not appear under Bristol so perhaps it was under a different jusidiction at that time.

I'll have another look and see what I can find. I think you need to start with 1911 and go back as it becomes more difficult when villages didn't have road names or house numbers - my village is like that but I was able to download the whole village each time as it had it's own separate enumerator.

Margaret

Comment

Do you know what parish it would have been? Looking on the map the nearest are Filton - it doesn't seem to cover Hambrook from the description of the enumeration district, nor does Stoke Gifford. Frenchay seems quite near but I can't see that listed as a parish.

Margaret

Comment

Thank you Margaret, I know Winterbourne and Frenchay are close by... I just found this re the 1891 census on a Google search...'Piece No(s) Parishes Covered..... Vol 2. 1991 1992 1993 Stapleton , Eastville, Fishponds, Stoke Gifford,
        Winterbourne, Hambrook, Frenchay,'

Source: Bristol & Avon FHS index to 1891 census, Vols 1 & 2

Don't mean a great deal to me but it is progress so I shall trawl through Ancestry and key in some numbers and see what I find.
        John

Brick wall in Ireland demolished after 25 years! Looking for any more Carrolls of Stradbally Parish, Waterford in particular Thomas Carroll b1861 married Bridget Leavy 1896 in QLD Australia..chipping away!

Comment

You should be able to key in the piece number and see what that brings up , otherwise try selecting any of the parishes listed and see which one covered Hambrook.

Good luck and maybe someone on here with local knowledge will see you post - maybe add Hambrook to the title?

Margaret

Comment

In 1851 it seems to come under St John the Baptist Frenchay
            Elaine

Comment

Some useful links here ..

Links give a transcription of the census but unfortunately without addresses, but you can use the names to work back to the Ancestry pages.
              Elaine

Comment

Thank you for the advice....excellent
                John

Comment

Once you have gone back beyond the 1841 Census you should find out more information from the Tithe Maps of 1820ish for the area. You will find the cottage listed on the tithe map with the names of all the residents living in the cottages/houses around and if you are lucky enough to have a Lord of the Manor then he also will be listed. I have done this for a cottage back to the early 1800's.

After that you can probably tap into the County Record Office and see if you can obtain land records. You can of course search addresses on FMP but then you would need to buy credits but if you get stuck on say 1871 then that may be a thought

Janet
                  Last edited by Janet; 03-09-12, 20:52.

Comment

How recently did your niece buy it and have you asked her about her deeds?
                    Some of the people who've purchased fairly recently in my village have been given a wealth of documentation about their property - previous conveyances, wills, searches, correspondence etc. (Apparently it is all now stored on disk and local solicitors were keen to get rid of the originals and passed it on to purchasers.)

Jay
                    Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Thanks Janet x 2 of you, she doesn't own the property and the original deeds are not available/lost. Don't we love a challenge
                      John

Comment

Working...
                      X