X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mary Florence Slater

Hi Guys,
    Would love some help on this one....
    Im looking for information on Mary Florence Slater (Slater being her married name)
    I've found her in the 1901 and 1911 (one she is named as Mary, the other named as Florence) cenus living in Derby with her children Annie, William (Willie) Mary and in the 1911 2 more children James and Hilda
    It states she is married, but no mention of her husband in either of them.
    She is listed as being born in Muka, Bengal, India in the 1911 and India in the 1901 to English parents.

Where i would love help is with her Husband....Where is he???
    He has been around between 1901 and 1911 due to her having 2 more children ;) but I can find no record of her marriage.In the 1911 census it states she has been married 18 years

All of her children are noted as being born in Derby with her first child being born around 1894 (age 17 in 1911)

The closest i have come to finding her birth is with a Florence Mary but born in Morar, Bengal India, to Henry and Amelia Doran (Baptised Oct 21st 1872)

But where is her marriage and her husband?????

Any help on this would be really appreciated, so thanks in advance for any help

I know that the only way we might have to go is to purchase one of her children's birth documents to see if their father is named, but would love to be able to solve it this way but i have hit one of those annoying brick walls...

Comment

Could the marriage have taken place in India?

Sounds to me you have found a very likely candidate in Florence Doran so might be worth tracking her through censuses etc to see what happens to her.

Margaret

Comment

I think a birth certificate for at least the oldest child is essential - at least then you will have her maiden name and her husbands name (hopefully). Without those bits of information how can you tell if any marriage or birth you find is correct ? You would also get his occupation which may give some clue as to his absence.

At least the 1911 census give the completed years of marriage (18) so that helps to narrow things down.
        Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk
        Follow me on Twittter @ChalfontR

Comment

Thanks for you advice....Never even thought of looking for her marriage in India...Will have a look down that route and I agree AntonyM I think this is going to be one where physical records will be needed.

Comment

Been through the India marriages and nothing...

Comment

have you checked any army records?
              wye surrey/london/birmingham
              lawrence/laurence berkshire/london/norfolk
              hall harrison cook/e pratt surrey
              ebbage maltby pratt norfolk
              herbert pratt yorkshire/hampshire
              armstrong/rickinson/harrison/beddington yorkshire

Comment

Originally posted by Rachael McComb View Post
                Been through the India marriages and nothing...
                Well - it's always possible they didn't bother for one reason or another! I have one in my tree who say they have been married 25 years in 1911 but they were never married and she just took his name and registered the children as she if was.

Margaret
                Last edited by margaretmarch; 03-09-12, 16:36.

Comment

I did think that Margaret, and it may be the case, but he is never mentioned on the census so he must just come and go....

Comment

Originally posted by Rachael McComb View Post
                    I did think that Margaret, and it may be the case, but he is never mentioned on the census so he must just come and go....
                    His job may have taken him away a lot so the only answer is to get one of the birth certs!
                    Margaret

Comment

do you have find my past on the army record of marriage there is james slater married in india in 1891
                      i have not got find my past sub at moment so can look for you there is also a harry in 1889 and john in 1885

Comment

There's room for confusion, here. There's a Mary Florence SLATER, 39, coming home to a Matlock, Derbyshire, address in 1945, after having been resident in South Africa... but she's only 39.

Christine
                        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Originally posted by tinkerbe View Post
                          do you have find my past on the army record of marriage there is james slater married in india in 1891
                          i have not got find my past sub at moment so can look for you there is also a harry in 1889 and john in 1885
                          I've had a look and can't find them - how did you see them?

Margaret

Comment

Originally posted by tinkerbe View Post
                            The only ones I can see are Harry (1889), John (1895) and James (1881). ???
                            Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
                              The only ones I can see are Harry (1889), John (1895) and James (1881). ???
                              yeah those are the ones I mean
                              who did they marry?

Comment

With the overseas marriage entries there is no easy way of finding out who they married, apart from the purchase of the certificate!
                                Elaine

Comment

ok
                                  but it will be on there army record if they are on find my past
                                  which i think they are
                                  might be worth a look if you have a sub which i dont

Comment

There are just too many to look through when you don't have any idea of the person's year or place of birth - and unfortunately a lot of the mid to late 19th century service records do not contain marriage details.
                                    Elaine

Comment

well in case some else has a sub and is bored
                                      SLATER Harry 1862 Ouseburn, Yorkshire WO97 Chelsea VIEW VIEW
                                      SLATER Harry 1867 Onley, Buckinghamshire WO96 Militia VIEW VIEW
                                      SLATER Harry 1867 Olney, Buckinghamshire WO97 Chelsea VIEW VIEW
                                      SLATER Harry 1867 Olney, Buckinghamshire WO97 Chelsea VIEW VIEW
                                      SLATER Harry 1870 Longton, Staffordshire WO97 Chelsea VIEW VIEW
                                      SLATER Harry 1870 Lowestoft, Suffolk WO97 Chelsea VIEW VIEW
                                      SLATER Harry 1871 Manchester, Lancashire WO97 Chelsea VIEW VIEW
                                      SLATER Harry 1874 Exeter, Devon WO96 Militia VIEW VIEW
                                      SLATER Harry 1874 Birmingham, Warwickshire WO96 Militia VIEW VIEW
                                      SLATER Harry 1877 Walsall, Staffordshire WO96 Militia VIEW VIEW
                                      SLATER Harry 1877 Sheffield, Yorkshire WO97 Chelsea VIEW VIEW
                                      SLATER Harry 1879 Birmingham, Warwickshire WO96 Militia VIEW VIEW

LATER James 1860 Nottingham, Nottinghamshire WO97 Chelsea VIEW VIEW
                                      SLATER James 1860 Nottingham, Nottinghamshire WO97 Chelsea VIEW VIEW
                                      SLATER James 1861 Newchurch, Lancashire WO97 Chelsea VIEW VIEW
                                      SLATER James 1861 Oldham, Lancashire WO97 Chelsea VIEW VIEW
                                      SLATER James 1862 Swansea, Glamorganshire WO97 Chelsea VIEW VIEW
                                      SLATER James 1862 Manchester, Lancashire WO96 Militia VIEW VIEW
                                      SLATER James 1862 London, Middlesex WO97 Chelsea VIEW VIEW
                                      SLATER James 1865 Sheffield, Yorkshire WO96 Militia VIEW VIEW
                                      SLATER James 1867 Nottingham, Nottinghamshire WO96 Militia VIEW VIEW
                                      SLATER James 1868 Newtown, Montgomeryshire WO97 Chelsea VIEW VIEW
                                      SLATER James 1869 Newtown, Montgomeryshire WO96 Militia VIEW VIEW
                                      SLATER James 1871 Manchester, Lancashire WO96 Militia VIEW VIEW
                                      SLATER James 1871 Manchester, Lancashire WO96 Militia VIEW VIEW
                                      SLATER James 1872 Oldham, Lancashire WO96 Militia VIEW VIEW
                                      SLATER James 1873 Darlington, Durham WO96 Militia VIEW VIEW
                                      SLATER James 1873 Ashton, Lancashire WO96 Militia VIEW VIEW
                                      SLATER James 1873 Oldham, Lancashire WO96 Militia VIEW VIEW
                                      SLATER James 1873 Oldham, Lancashire WO96 Militia VIEW VIEW
                                      SLATER James 1875 Oldham, Lancashire WO97 Chelsea VIEW VIEW
                                      SLATER James 1875 Hebden Bridge, Yorkshire WO96 Militia VIEW VIEW
                                      SLATER James 1878 Kirkham, Lancashire WO96 Militia VIEW VIEW
                                      SLATER James 1879 Macclesfield, Cheshire WO97 Chelsea VIEW VIEW

SLATER John 1875 Caherciveen, Kerry WO96 Militia VIEW VIEW
                                      SLATER John 1876 Dalton in Furness, Lancashire WO96 Militia VIEW VIEW
                                      SLATER John 1876 Preston, Lancashire WO97 Chelsea VIEW VIEW
                                      SLATER John 1876 Dudley, Staffordshire WO96 Militia VIEW VIEW
                                      SLATER John 1876 Dudley, Worcestershire WO97 Chelsea VIEW VIEW
                                      SLATER John 1878 Preston, Lancashire WO96 Militia VIEW VIEW
                                      SLATER John 1878 London, Middlesex WO96 Militia VIEW VIEW
                                      SLATER John 1878 London, Surrey WO96 Militia VIEW VIEW
                                      SLATER John 1879 Peterborough, Lincolnshire WO97 Chelsea VIEW VIEW
                                      SLATER John 1879 Talk Oth Hill, Staffordshire WO96 Militia VIEW VIEW
                                      SLATER John 1881 Preston, Lancashire WO96 Militia VIEW VIEW
                                      SLATER John 1881 Preston, Lancashire WO97 Chelsea VIEW VIEW

Comment

WOW guys you have been busy!
                                        I don't have Find My Past. I use Ancestry and FamilySearch, but i have took notes on what you have posted so going to cross check, check dates, ect and will let you know how i get on :o

Thanks for your help

Comment

Working...
                                        X