No announcement yet.

Thanks for letting me join your group:)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks for letting me join your group:)

Hi Guys,

Thanks so much for letting me join your group. I'm incredibly interested in family history and have been completing my tree for 2 years now, I've had some brick walls along the way which mostly I have sorted out, however there is one brick wall still that I have yet to complete and I wondered if any of you guys would have any knowledge of it. My paternal grandfather was born to an unmarried mother in 1911 in Newport Workhouse,and through research at my local record office I have found his birth as Marcus James Williams born 24/12/1911 mother Rachel Mary Williams a domestic servant from Newport. My Grandfather was unoffically adopted by Frederick and Alice Channon in March 1911 and seems to have adopted their surname, I have searched and searched for Rachel however it is proving very difficult with a surname such as Williams, the Admissions and Discharge book from the Workhouse shows that her parish was Abercarn, so if anyone on this forum has Rachel Mary Williams or any other family members in their family I would be really keen to hear from them.

Thanks again.

Sarah

Hi there - I wonder if you could confirm a date - probably a typo - Marcus was born in Dec 1911 but you say was adopted before this in March 1911????
    or have I read it wrong???
    herky
    Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

Not sure if this is of any help but have you looked for a marriage of a Rachel M Williams?
      There is one in Newport in 1913.
      herky
      Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

is this Newport Monmouthshire ?

Comment

thats a likely one Herky ?

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
            is this Newport Monmouthshire ?

oopps Welsh geography not good - just checking - yes, Monmouthshire 3rd Q 1913, 11a 434
            herky

Comment

Originally posted by herky View Post
              Hi there - I wonder if you could confirm a date - probably a typo - Marcus was born in Dec 1911 but you say was adopted before this in March 1911????
              or have I read it wrong???
              Hi,

yes sorry a typo I meant March 1912 when he was unoffically adopted, he was born 24/12/1911 and his birth was registered in January 1912 by the Master of Newport Workhouse in Newport Monmouthshire

Comment

Herky I wasn't asking you but Sarah , and I see she hasn't responded about the marriage you found ??????????

Comment

Marriage Newport 1913 Rachel M Williams

Originally posted by herky View Post
                  Not sure if this is of any help but have you looked for a marriage of a Rachel M Williams?
                  There is one in Newport in 1913.
                  Hi Herky,

Yes I did see that marriage in 1913 to vaughan, it could be my Rachel, the biggest problem I have is her surname being Williams, its massively popular in Wales, and there are many marriages of a Rachel M Williams in Monmouthshire and Glamorganshire, without purchasing every marriage certificate I really don't know of any other way to pin her down. Also my dad who is an only child never knew his father was unoffically adopted, I only found this out whilst doing my family tree when I couldn't find a birth registration for him which was last year. I do have a few details about Rachel as I've been to our local record office, She was apparently from Abercarn and her birth year was 1884 and she was a single domestic servant and was non conformist, so she was 27 when she had my grandfather, but other than that I know nothing. Any idea's guys would be really appreciated.

Kind regards

Sarah

Comment

Originally posted by Saree69 View Post
                    Hi Herky,

Yes I did see that marriage in 1913 to vaughan, it could be my Rachel, the biggest problem I have is her surname being Williams, its massively popular in Wales, and there are many marriages of a Rachel M Williams in Monmouthshire and Glamorganshire, without purchasing every marriage certificate I really don't know of any other way to pin her down. Also my dad who is an only child never knew his father was unoffically adopted, I only found this out whilst doing my family tree when I couldn't find a birth registration for him which was last year. I do have a few details about Rachel as I've been to our local record office, She was apparently from Abercarn and her birth year was 1884 and she was a single domestic servant and was non conformist, so she was 27 when she had my grandfather, but other than that I know nothing. Any idea's guys would be really appreciated.

Kind regards

Sarah
                    I completely understand how difficult it is with the name of Williams - my gg gran was Ann Williams from Wales, so not even a more unusual first name to narrow things down. Luckily I didn't have the same complications (adoption etc) as you and could track the family back fairly easily.
                    One thought - perhaps thinking outside the box - Marcus is not the most common name, could she have named the child after her father or the child's father?? Not sure how that would help just my thoughts!
                    Good luck.
                    herky

Comment

Am I right in thinking Abercarn is in Caerphilly? or is there another one elsewhere?

Have you tried to find a baptism or christening for Rachel in that parish or the non-conformist registers?

Margaret

Comment

I'm sorry but I'm confused :( is Caerphilly a county - it seems to look like that but I can't find it listed for the Wales census.

Margaret

Comment

I think the only thing you can do is trace through all the Rachel Mary William born in the right year and place to see what happens to them.

Margaret

Comment

Working...
                          X