A little help please?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A little help please?

Right here's the situation. My Granddad Albert had 4 siblings Ivy, Mary, Thomas and Emily. I've located all their births/ deaths etc but now I've been given hints for 5 more possible siblings. According to my Mum, their mother, Emily Thomas had 5 children that lived and 5 that died. Looking on Ancestry I get:

George/Annie- 1913, died less than a year old.
    George- 1917, 3 years old.
    Edward, 1919, less than a year old.

That's when it stops. Now in the 1911 census Ivy is living with her parents and Mary is living with her Grandmother and Uncle. Also in the 1911 census it says that there's a unnamed daughter living with them and that they had 4 children born alive, 3 still living and one dead. So who's the unnamed one and the dead child??
    Lennon. Phillips. Thomas. Peacock. Tubridy. Burton.

I am the girl from that town & I'm darn proud of it.

Could we have the town / village they died in please ? ...have you any baptisms of the dead children ?....if so ...could you post one ...this will help us to find any other baptisms...do we take it that Albert Thomas was a son of Emily Thomas and ????? fathers name and place / year of birth please if possible
    allan
    Allan ......... researching oakes/anyon/standish/collins/hartley/barker/collins-cheshire
    oakes/tipping/ellis/jones/schacht/...garston, liverpool
    adams-shropshire/roberts-welshpool
    merrick/lewis/stringham/nicolls-herefordshire
    coxon/williamson/kay/weaver-glossop/stockport/walker-gorton

Comment

Albert Phillips, 1921, stockton-on-tees, durham, england.
      Father- George Phillips
      Mother- Emily Thomas
      No baptisms just births.

If it works then this link should show all Phillips within Stockton-On-Tees buried between 1910-1955. On that list is Annie/George, George, Edward, Emily Thomas and at the very bottom of the list is George Phillips Sr. The name Robert below Annie/George is George Sr's Father.. they are all buried in the Durham Road Cemetery.

Comment

I'm seeing at least eleven children.

Mary 1905
        Ivy 1908
        Thomas 1909 (must have died as another born 1915)
        ?Beatrice (who may be the unnamed baby in 1911, new born) registered jun 1911, died 1913
        Annie b/d 1913
        George b/d 1913 (Are these twins? their births were registered separately)
        Thomas 1915
        George 1917-1921
        Edward 1919-1920
        Albert 1921
        Emily 1924

Your link shows me EVERY Phillips buried and I cannot sort them into family groups.

Incidentally, Mary isn't necessarily living with her grandparents. The census listed whoever was sleeping at that address for that nightm so she was probaly just on a visit (because mum had just had a new baby?)

OC

Comment

Thanks for helping me. Mary/Ivy did trade of living with other relatives and once Emily Sr died then the others all did the same thing. I sent all Phillips because I thought it may help if you came across them on Ancestry.

Comment

i've just realized that it doesn't account for the child that died..

Comment

In the 1911 census it states that 4 children were born living to George and Emily Phillips and 1 has died.
              I think the child that may have died could be George Frederick born in 1907 and died in 1909. Unfortunately the only way to prove this is by getting the birth cert to check his parents or finding his baptism (if he was baptised).

I think OC is right about George and Annie being twins as George the father was a twin and his sister was called Annie, but not sure why there are two different registration dates.

Comment

No scratch that idea just looked at familysearch and George Frederick's mother was Annie Phillips

Comment

Right sorry, couldn't reply on my phone. George/Annie are twins named after the previous twins (their father/aunt). I've just got back from Stockton Registry Office/Stockton Berievement Office and I have the following:

Children:
                  Beatrice- 12/4/1913, grave number A130J
                  Annie- 20/5/1913, grave number A130J
                  George- 12/6/1913, grave number A130J
                  Edward- 28/4/1920, grave number A130J
                  George- 10/4/1921, grave number A130J

Father:
                  George- M120P

Mother:
                  Emily Thomas- M120P

Robert Phillips- George's Father, Emily's Father-in-law, A128J

The child that had died did not exist. The census had a slight mistake. If you look very carefully on the children alive part for George there's a faint 3 before it becomes a 4.

Comment

Originally posted by lennon2011 View Post

The child that had died did not exist. The census had a slight mistake. If you look very carefully on the children alive part for George there's a faint 3 before it becomes a 4.
                    Have to disagree with this.
                    To me the census image is quite clear - there were 4 children born alive, 3 children are still living and one child has died.
                    http://interactive.ancestry.co.uk/23...l=ReturnRecord
                    Elaine

Comment

There's deffinately a very faint 3 though...

Comment

There is a very faint 3, but I think that whoever was filling it out initially thought there was only a need to put the number of children alive at the time - but if you read the heading it says number of children born alive.
                        If the 4, 3, 1 in the second line were not so clear then I might doubt it, but as it stands I would say definitely 4 children born, 3 alive at the time and one had died.
                        Elaine

Comment

Oh well. Either way I'm off to do some grave hunting :D

Comment

Have fun!
                            Elaine

Comment

Yeah I have the Phillips in a mass burial and Peacock in another..

Comment

Sometimes, in looking for and failing to find the possible dead child I do wonder if the parents counted stillbirth or miscarriage as one who died? I know this was not what the census had in mind but to the parents it was just as much a tragedy as a live child dying.

Anne

Comment

There is an Alfred born 1903 died 1904 in Stockton.

Jane

Comment

So I found the graves, finally. But there's only one problem. They're unmarked..

Comment

Originally posted by lennon2011 View Post
                                      So I found the graves, finally. But there's only one problem. They're unmarked..
                                      Unfortunately they very often are. :(
                                      Of course it doesn't mean you can't take a photo of the cemetery to add to your family tree information, or even of the unmarked plots. Maybe next time you visit take a small posy of flowers to lay and take a photo then.
                                      At least you have found their resting place which believe me is not always an easy thing to achieve!
                                      Elaine

Comment

I still haven't found Robert but judjing by the childrens graves, i think he may be in with them. I just wish we could have created a little plaque or something but we know we can't do that sadly.

Comment

Working...
                                        X