William E Hill Furrier

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• William E Hill Furrier

My great grandfather William E Hill was sentenced to 9 months hard labour at The Old Bailey for receiving forty-two sable skins and other articles in 1906 aged 64. He lived in Islington and was a furrier by trade.

I assume he served his sentence at Pentonville but I cannot find any further information about him. He does not seem to appear on the 1911 Census and I cannot find a death record for him in the Islington and surrounding area?

I have purchased some incorrect death certificates and wondering if there is any other way of finding him.

Peter

Do you have a place of birth for him?
    Have you found him on the 1901 census, if so could you give the reference or a link.
    Elaine

Comment

Elaine, I think this is him in 1901,a furrier aged 57 born St Lukes a visitor in the household of Caroline Langdell RG13 piece 188 folio 52 page 35
      Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Just found that one - thought it was probably the right one. I wonder if there is any known family - wife/children etc?
        Elaine

Comment

Possibly the 1881 census - with wife Abigail
          http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...363512&recoff=
          RG11; Piece: 271; Folio: 95; Page: 7
          Elaine

Comment

If that is the right family then this could be wife Abigail living with daughter Martha in 1911 -
            Abigail Hill - born 1844 Wateringbury, Kent
            Begin your discovery today by exploring the world's largest online family history resource!

Class: RG14; Piece: 9712; Schedule Number: 195;

Abigail shown as married.
            Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by Slippery View Post

I have purchased some incorrect death certificates and wondering if there is any other way of finding him.
              Have you ordered any of these?

William E Hill (born c1842) Oct-Nov-Dec 1919 St Olave London
              William E Hill (born c1843) Jan-Feb-Mar 1919 West Ham Essex
              William E Hill (born c1845) Oct-Nov-Dec 1916 Wandsworth London
              Elaine

Comment

Hi Elaine and Judith

William was quite a lad he was born in 1844 at St Lukes Islington. He was in the workhouse with 2 sisters in 1851 as his mother had just died. Do not know about his father another William Edmund Hill but that’s another search to retrace.

He married Abigail Burbeck and had a family then on the 1881 Census he has 2 families both living in Islington. The other family he is with is down as Atkinson his “wifes” Frances maiden name, he is shown as aged 26 but it is the correct family.
                In 1891 he is with this family and as you have found his wife Abigail is living with their daughter in Tottenham. His second “wife” Frances (Fanny) died in 1897 in Islington, William witnessed the death. Abigail died in 1920 in Walthamstow, which comes under West Ham, husband William Hill a Furrier.

It is him on the 1901 Census visiting with his new daughter Eliza by yet another “wife”, sadly Eliza died a few weeks later.
                I will have to revisit the death in 1916 at Wandsworth as there is a W E Hill, patient single, aged 66, occupation a tailor on the 1911 census in Middlesex County Asylum Upper Tooting.

Peter
                ps Sorry for late reply, we had the family here.

Comment

Sounds a character! I've got one like that who disappeared into the night circa 1904 ... never to be found again! :D
                  Elaine

Comment

one of the who do you think you are eps was on tonight, had a character in jamaica who got around. i wonder if all his families were aware of the others?

Comment

I would have thought his wife Abigail would have known as all the family were in the Furrier trade. The daughter she was living with in 1891 was also a Furrier as was her husband. The addresses each family were living at in 1881 were less than half a mile apart.

Unless you get a good lead it is very expensive to keep ordering death certs. I have got the same problem with his father. One day I will find them both.

Peter

Comment

Working...
                      X