X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joshua John Ford b.1835 Cheddar - Parents needed

Hi Everyone

Im new here

Just wondering if anyone would be able to help with the following, trying to determind who my GGG Grandparent are/were

Ok, My Great Great Grandfather Joshua John Ford was born in Cheddar abt 1835 give or take a few years...The census for after he was married is a little sketchy on his age.
    I am trying to locate who his parent were, I found a record for his marriage on Ancestry.co.uk but it did not list anything but on Familysearch.org it is as follows

Joshua John Ford Married Sarah Stock
    Parents: John Andrews Ford & Charles Stock
    Date: 28 Jun 1858
    Ind Project: M00220-5
    Source Film: 1526763
    Ref: P64

I have seached through every document I can on Ancestry. I cannot find anything on a John Andrews or Andrew Ford, not sure if it was a middle name or his mothers maiden name.

There was another Joshua Born in Wells around about that time with a Father listed as unknown but Mother was Sarah - But I dont think thats him.
    As I then did a census check on All John & Sarah ford and none of them had a child named Joshua John,
    There is a Joshua on a 1841 Census with a Sarah Ford and Ephriam Ford 24 and Lydia Ford Ford 20 but when I search Ephraims marriage it stated his father as Benjamin. But 1841 census do not list relation to head so I dont know whether it is him and hes staying with relatives or not.

If there is any chance you can sorce Joshua John Ford's Parents for me I would love you for ever.

I am currently living in New Zealand and unable to get anywhere close to a centre in the Uk..

Gratefully waiting in total anticipation

Lottie Powley

Hi, Lottie

Welcome to FTF!
    The Research Requests section (this one!) is mostly used to ask members to retrieve specific records.

Since you're looking to identify possible ancestors for Joshua, I think this could be moved to Research Advice. There are some really smart people who can probably help. I wonder if they will suggest that Joshua's parents were not married... Anyway, an Admin person can move this for you.

BTW, do you have the marriage record for Joshua & Sarah?

Best wishes
    Sarah
    Last edited by PhotoFamily; 05-09-12, 06:01.

Comment

I have moved the thread ..... it will have more chance of being seen there.
      Caroline
      Caroline's Family History Pages
      Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

My first thought was that the Joshua with unmarried mother Sarah was your man, and that at marriage he either made up a father's name or quite possibly knew his father was someone called John Andrews and added the Ford on the end to make himself appear legitimate. As you rightly point out the 1841 census doesn't show relationships so he could have been with mother Sarah and uncle Ephraim then.
        Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Unless the dates are way out I don't think that Sarah is Joshua's mother in the 1841 census at Clift Street, Cheddar as she would have been about 51 when she had him. I know this is not out of the realms of possibility of course.

Comment

Hi
            I found this entry in the freeReg database, which looks like a possibility:

County Somerset
            Place Cheddar
            Church St Andrew
            RegisterNumber 1183
            DateOfBirth 29 May 1832
            BaptismDate 25 Jan 1835
            Forename Joshua
            Sex M
            FatherForename
            MotherForename Sarah
            FatherSurname
            MotherSurname FORD
            Abode Cheddar
            FatherOccupation
            Notes Mercy baptized same day child of Robert & Sarah Ford. Only Sarah Ford listed as parent of Joshua.
            FileNumber 1006

Mercy the daughter of Robert and Sarah Ford was baptised on the same day, but Mercy's baptism says she was born in 1823 and not baptised until 1835.

There might be a note in the actual register about who the father is, or a bastardy order for the child's upkeep in the parish records. Cheddar has an online parish clerk and you can email him for further information about the Cheddar registers (http://wsom-opc.org.uk/index.php?id=39&k=266)

I think that 1841 census entry might be the correct one.
            The way the entry is written I think Sarah Ford age 60 is Ephraim and Lydia's mother and Joshua's grandmother.

Free reg says that Ephraim was baptised in 1814 to Robert and Sarah and Lydia in 1816 to the same parents, and Mercy was their sister.

There's an 1809 baptism for Sarah daughter of Joseph but you would need to piece all the family together to be more sure of what is going on here.

Di
            Last edited by dicole; 07-09-12, 07:18.
            Diane
            Sydney Australia
            Avatar: Reuben Edward Page and Lilly Mary Anne Dawson

Comment

Hi Thank you all

Your help has been amazing, I did see that Free Reg baptism for Joshua with father not named.... and I thought that there were possibly two Joshua ford born around Cheddar nr each other but reading what you have put Di - It makes sense, also I did not see the Baptism of Ephraim and now that has come to light its will hopefully all link up....I will have a look

Will keep you posted and again ....thank you so much xx

Lottie

Comment

Working...
              X