help with transatlantic travel, please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help with transatlantic travel, please

William Dutton & Joseph Dutton were born in Wisconsin in 1846 and 1850 to English parents Edward Dutton & Mary (I think they were still there when a census was taken in 1855.)

The family were in York in 1861 and in 1871 Edward, Mary & Joseph were again in York, whilst William, his wife Esther & baby daughter Jane were in East Yorkshire with Esther's parents.

William & Esther's next child, George, was born in Connecticut c1873, before the family moved on to Iowa where more children were born.

In 1880, William, Esther & family were recorded farming in Gilman, Osceola, Iowa and farming the next property was William's father & unmarried brother Joseph. (The brothers eventually moved on again to farm in Oregon)

Can anyone find any records of their various travels across the Atlantic?

Also any ideas of any events which may have caused them to flit back and forth? (Other than the American civil war 1861-1865) Wonder where the money came from to return to England before going back again?

Jay
    Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

William Dutton - aged 24 - occ. miner
    Joseph Dutton - aged 21 - occ. miner
    Edward Dutton - aged 57 - occ. miner

shown on the New York Passenger Lists,
    departure port - Liverpool
    arrival date 10 May 1871 - New York
    Ship Name: City of Brooklyn

.. still looking for other entries!
    Elaine

Comment

Thanks for that, Elaine. The ladies followed on separately perhaps, when the men had settled?

Jay
      Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Do you have birth years for Esther and daughter Jane?
        Elaine

Comment

I am not sure about this one, but will give it to you anyway!

William - aged 27
          Esther - aged 22
          Jane - aged 2
          - transcribed on Ancestry as Dalton but could well be Dutton.

Occupation for William looks like Mason but it's not a very good image.

The column after their name says Ireland - there is no heading to the column but looking at the other entries I would presume this might be place of birth .. which doesn't match what you are looking for ??

Arrival Date - 26 Apr 1873 New York.
          Port of Departure: Liverpool, England
          Ship Name: Alexander Marshall
          Elaine

Comment

Esther was born at Muston E Yks Jul 1848 & daugher Jane Eliz born Scarborough 1870.

Mason is interesting because the chap who COULD be Edward in Yk in 1841 was a mason. However I think there are 2 or 3 candidates and I'm not sure which is mine.

Thaks again, Elaine

Jay
            Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Can't see anything other than the family in post #5.
              Elaine

Comment

Thanks for your time, Elaine.

I now think Edward may have been married twice - in 1840 to Elizabeth, with whom he had Mary (1841) & Edward (1843)

I think he married for a second time, to Mary, in 1860. (Both marriages at York, so another event for the record office list!)

Jay
                Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

If you haven't already spotted it, Yorkshire BMD site may be of use to you.

Also - just for a couple of days - Ancestry has all their USA censuses available for free, even for those who aren't .com subscribers.

Christine
                  Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Thankyou for your input and suggestions, Christine.

I've already made use of the free access to Ancestry.com - such a shame there's nothing for 1890, indicating whether or not Edward and Mary had died. (Would have been useful to know because that could have precipitated the move further west.)

Both familysearch and Yorkshire BMD indicate that the two marriages occured where "my" Edward was living in those years and so it seems quite probable that both were for the same man. However, I think I need to view both parish register entries to check ages, father's name and marital status and I should be able to do this at the Borthwick.

Jay
                    Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Working...
                    X