Great- Granny F.T

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great- Granny F.T

I've finally solved the puzzle! I always knew that my Great-Grandmother (F.T) had died when my Nanna was young. What I didn't know was that my Nanna was in fact a year old when F.T died so now I have the location of F.T's grave but do I dare buy the death certificate? Do I cross that bridge and find out how F.T died? Or do I stop here and leave the past where it is?

So confuzzled...
    Lennon. Phillips. Thomas. Peacock. Tubridy. Burton.

I am the girl from that town & I'm darn proud of it.

I woudn't even think about it if it was me I'd definitely send for it , you will not be able to stop thinking about anyway
    Last edited by Guest; 31-08-12, 23:43.

Comment

I don't really understand why you are doing your family history if you are content to leave the past where it is!

OC

Comment

Hi Lennnon,

When my mother started doing our family tree, she refused to get death certificates as she was squeamish about it.

When I took over the research after my mother's mental faculities began to go downhill, the first thing I did was to buy the death certificates.

It turns out my maternal grandmother lived well into her nineties, as did her mother and her grandmother. My mum has only turned 80, so the family knows that she may well live on another 15 years or so, and we took this into consideration when thinking about her future.

Go ahead and buy the certificate. It may help future generations healthwise , or explain why so and so did this or that.

bcbrit

On my husband's side diabetes and depression appear in every other generation. Again something for us to look out for healthwise.
        George, Uren, Toy - Cornwall. Barrows, Blair, Bowyer, Freeth, Green, Manie - London

Comment

Originally posted by bcbrit View Post
          Hi Lennnon,

When my mother started doing our family tree, she refused to get death certificates as she was squeamish about it.

When I took over the research after my mother's mental faculities began to go downhill, the first thing I did was to buy the death certificates.

It turns out my maternal grandmother lived well into her nineties, as did her mother and her grandmother. My mum has only turned 80, so the family knows that she may well live on another 15 years or so, and we took this into consideration when thinking about her future.

Go ahead and buy the certificate. It may help future generations healthwise , or explain why so and so did this or that.

bcbrit

On my husband's side diabetes and depression appear in every other generation. Again something for us to look out for healthwise.
          Well said ...a very profound answer and something I haven`t thought of with my ancestors ...........................allan
          Allan ......... researching oakes/anyon/standish/collins/hartley/barker/collins-cheshire
          oakes/tipping/ellis/jones/schacht/...garston, liverpool
          adams-shropshire/roberts-welshpool
          merrick/lewis/stringham/nicolls-herefordshire
          coxon/williamson/kay/weaver-glossop/stockport/walker-gorton

Comment

Oh buy the certificate for goodness sake ......... otherwise you will always be in the dark and worry about it.. do it now.

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
              I don't really understand why you are doing your family history if you are content to leave the past where it is!

OC
              I endorse OC's view - can't see the point in doing a family tree if you don't want to know everything you can find out.
              Margaret

Comment

dont know about anybody else but I also love finding the naughty stuff about them, maybe even more than the good stuff. Looks like I Just found one of mine ran a Bawdy House am thrilled ,so much more interesting than an Ag Lab

Comment

Do it while you can afford it, then at least you'll know. I've just bought my mother's death cert as I never knew exactly what type of cancer she died of and it may have a bearing on my own health. I also know what her mother and grandmother died of. If I leave researching until I've got plenty of time once I retire then I won't be able to afford it!

Comment

people claim they don't do death certs because it's either too hard to nail the right one, or they don't think it will help them with the tree.

but the reason i did it was to complete what i knew of people, and i suspected some things ran in the family.....wasn't wrong. get it. get all of them in time.

Comment

Thanks for the advice everyone. I've been speaking to my Aunt and she think's that F.T died in either childbirth or of Cancer because Cancer was mentioned quite a lot, maybe it well help as F.T was only 29 when she died and I'm barely 22! Besides my own health isn't exactly good but that's my own fault.

Comment

if it were me I would buy the cert, like others have said it could have a bearing on health issues, alternately it may not have anything to do with a health issue!.

I am a naturally curious person so, I would want to know one way or the other. :smilee: [I don't find it morbid or anything like that, its just nice to have that bit of closure and 'know' for definate]
                        Julie
                        They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

I do desperately wish to know but I guess I'm just a little scared that the answer may be something such as Murder etc.

Comment

Originally posted by lennon2011 View Post
                            I do desperately wish to know but I guess I'm just a little scared that the answer may be something such as Murder etc.
                            maybe, maybe not, you won't know till you get it... if it does turn out to be something like that, then it will have been reported in the newspapers, which in turn adds more 'flesh to the bones' of your family history.. [sorry for the pun!].. it all helps to bring the research to life and when you get that little nugget of info it can make all the difference to how you 'see' that person.

my grandmother was an orphan, I knew she spent some time in a children's home, the other day I went to the actual 'home' a few building still survive, and I got a remarkable sense of 'belonging' to that place.. really eerie, but comforting at the same time.
                            Julie

Comment

The chances of the death being due to murder are minimal. You don't say when the death happened, but assuming it was the early 20th century, death in childbirth was very common, as was death from TB and many other illnesses that people don't die from nowadays.

Comment

it happened in 1931 and we've never heard much about another sibling that may or may not have been born.. oddly enough i've just found out today the F.T's grandmother also died in the same month and year that she did, different locations though.

Comment

my grandmother was an orphan, I knew she spent some time in a children's home, the other day I went to the actual 'home' a few building still survive, and I got a remarkable sense of 'belonging' to that place.. really eerie, but comforting at the same time..
                                  Random question:
                                  Would it have been one of the Nazareth Homes by any chance?

Comment

Random question:
                                    Would it have been one of the Nazareth Homes by any chance?
                                    I am not familiar with that name, though I know that the 'Home' was one of the 'Marston Green' Homes, it was, I think, one of the first 'Cottage' homes built for orphans, rather than being in the workhouse. What remains of the homes is actually a few miles from Birmingham City Centre, in the lovely village of Marston Green.
                                    Julie

Comment

ah well, at least you fouond where it was :D

Comment

ah well, at least you fouond where it was :D
                                        Yup! and I now have some pictures to add to my grans section on my family tree :smilee:
                                        Julie

Comment

Working...
                                        X