WW2 service records

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WW2 service records

Hi, My hubby has been persuaded (by me!) to apply for his late father's army records.
    Can anyone give me any tips on how to go about this.
    I have had a brief look at the national archives website but it is a maze that I seem to get lost in.
    Any suggestions would be great.
    Many thanks.
    herky
    Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Hi again,
    I have given up at the national archives but have found a good link on this site on the ref. library.
    Hopefully it will be straight forward but if anyone has any tips and suggestions then that would still be great.
    Thanks
    herky
    Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

Making a Request for Information held on the Personnel Records of Deceased Service Personnel and Home Guard records
      We work for a secure and prosperous United Kingdom with global reach and influence. We will protect our people, territories, values and interests at home and overseas, through strong armed forces and in partnership with allies, to ensure our security, support our national interests and safeguard our prosperity. MOD is a ministerial department, supported by 25 agencies and public bodies .
      Phil
      historyhouse.co.uk
      Essex - family and local history.

Comment

Get military records of service for the Royal Navy (including Royal Marines), British Army and Royal Air Force - who can apply, how long it takes, cost, how to apply.

here is the link good luck

Comment

This is the site where you can download a form to complete: http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/Ab...erviceRecords/

This was the letter that I sent in 2005; the fee has gone up since then to £30.

The Army Personnel Centre
          Civil Secretariat
          Historical Disclosures, MP 400
          Kentigern House, 65 Brown Street
          Glasgow G2 8EX

Dear Sirs

Please would you send me the service records for my father, William John Brooks, who served in the RAMC in WW2.

I enclose the completed Search Questionnaire, my cheque for £25, together with copies of my father's death certificate, and my marriage and birth certificates.

Thank you.
          Last edited by Joy Dean; 30-08-12, 20:37.
          Joy

Comment

Thanks all - the link that Joy sent is the same one as I found via the ref library.
            Off to read up on all this and hopefully get the ball rolling. Many thanks
            herky

Comment

Originally posted by herky View Post
              Thanks all - the link that Joy sent is the same one as I found via the ref library.
              Off to read up on all this and hopefully get the ball rolling. Many thanks
              I think when I applied for my father's I just sent his death cert and signed to say I was his daughter. I didn't send any evidence of my relationship.

Margaret

Comment

Thanks Margaret - do you have any idea of how long it takes and the extent of the information?
                I assume it will be photocopies of all the records held????
                herky

Comment

Herky I got a few peoples records and they were most enlightening , they gave if married ,wifes name date of marriage childrens names and birth dates , home address etc etc so well worth getting, I got some in about a fortnight others took longer ,think they are much busier now with applications.
                  Last edited by Guest; 31-08-12, 00:16.

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
                    Herky I got a few peoples records and they were most enlightening , they gave if married ,wifes name date of marriage childrens names and birth dates , home address etc etc so well worth getting, I got some in about a fortnight others took longer ,think they are much busier now with applications.
                    Thanks Val.
                    As it is my father-in-law we know all the family stuff but what we would really like to know is what he did in the war, where he was posted etc.
                    Looking forward to doing this now.
                    herky

Comment

Originally posted by herky View Post
                      Thanks Val.
                      As it is my father-in-law we know all the family stuff but what we would really like to know is what he did in the war, where he was posted etc.
                      Looking forward to doing this now.
                      The details should all be there of what his rank was and where he went and I even got the character reference for when my father left to take to new employers. I also got the medical records and his disciplinary card - late back from leave on one occasion! presumably visiting my mum.
                      Margaret

Comment

yayyy i'm not the only one having trouble looking for the War details of a relative then.. as far as I know my Grandad (let's just call him A.P) was stationed at Kiora Hall, Stockton-On-Tees, Middlesbrough and he'd been made a Corporal and looking after the POW's stationed there. Now I've been told by my Mum that these POWs were Italian and yet so far my research has led me to them being Germans. Now this is where it gets a little odd- A.P lost all of his titles for bad behaviour- (E.G- talking with the prisoners, making jokes etc) also according to Mum A.P was given medals for his efforts but he never claimed them because he had to pay for them.

Would this have been true?!
                        Lennon. Phillips. Thomas. Peacock. Tubridy. Burton.

I am the girl from that town & I'm darn proud of it.

Comment

Update - forms downloaded and filled in - just need hubby's signature and to enclose the copy of the death cert and it is ready to go.
                          Thanks again for the help - you probably saved me hours trawling through sites trying to find out what to do.
                          I have been looking for his service number but no joy so far.
                          Hopefully all the info I have will be sufficient to identify him.
                          Now I just need to hope they have his records.
                          Can't wait.

Sorry Lennon 2011 - I am not sure what the situation with medals is but I am sure others on this site can help out.
                          I do think that next of kin can claim medals of a deceased parent - perhaps someone else can confirm and know if there is cost.
                          herky

Comment

Thanks Herky :D I'm currently writing a little War story now :D the majority of my family have been in the War and I wish to pay homage to them..

Comment

Information about claiming medals is here

How to apply for a medal or veterans badge - who can apply, application forms, contact details, how long it takes, replacement military medals or badges

Bear in mind that when you receive WW2 service records, actual record of service will just give Regiment, Regimental number, battalion and dates for each posting, so to find out what a man's battalion was involved in you would have to look at a Regimental History, if there is one, or at War Diaries.
                              The National Archives, Kew – Research Service Offered
                              Contact me via PM on Family Tree Forum or via my personal website - www.militaryandfamilyresearch.co.uk

Comment

Herky if there were any children born to him during the war , you may find his number on one of their Birth certs, my father is on ours .

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
                                  Herky if there were any children born to him during the war , you may find his number on one of their Birth certs, my father is on ours .
                                  Hi Val,
                                  The family were born many years after the war so out of luck there.
                                  Unfortunately I can't find his death cert - not where I expected to put my hands on it so I have ordered a copy - will have to wait till that arrives before I send off the forms etc.
                                  I have just had a lovely afternoon looking at my father-in-laws old pics of his army days including a rather nice large one of him with about a dozen or so comrades and marked "Normandy '44".
                                  Surprisingly they all look cheerful and relaxed.
                                  herky

Comment

So, I've found out that my Granddad didn't have any medals- Mum got confused but I have found out for deffinate what he did during the war and I have gotten confirmation that the building WAS what we were told it was so now I've written a little story to go with the tree :D

Comment

Please be aware that service records may take as long as 10 mths to be sent to you, I received my fathers last year and I waited about that long but they were worth the wait and the cost of £30.
                                      Georgy:smilee:

Comment

Originally posted by georgy View Post
                                        Please be aware that service records may take as long as 10 mths to be sent to you, I received my fathers last year and I waited about that long but they were worth the wait and the cost of £30.
                                        Thank you Georgy - at least I know not to sit and wait for the postman each day.
                                        Even if they take a year it will be worth it for my hubby and his family to see their dad's record.
                                        herky

Comment

Working...
                                        X