Qu for anyone who has gone to look through Parish Records

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Qu for anyone who has gone to look through Parish Records

My dad and I were discussing the possibility of going to look at the parish records somewhere, and we were trying to decide how long it would take to find what we're looking for. I live abroad, so I need to estimate whether it could be done in a few hours, or a few days.

I know we would be looking through the old books, possibly all three types (B, M and D) and numerous volumes. I don't think the entries are indexed, are they? If not, I assume we would have to search through every page. If they're indexed it would obviously take a lot less time

Also do I need to contact the parish before I go? And who do I contact? The church, or the local library?

If you know of any other useful info, I'd be glad to have it
    Researching ESLICK, FIFIELD, BLANCHE, UNICUME, HATFIELD, SALTER, amongst many others!

I haven't had much experience of searching parish registers as I live outside of the UK as well.
    However, do check whether the parish registers you need are available online. Subscription sites such as Ancestry, Findmypast and The Genealogist are beginning to add parish record collections which include the scanned images.
    Some are also available on Family Search - and a google might uncover other sites as well.

Which counties/parishes are you particuarly interested in, and for what time period?
    Elaine

Comment

Your other option is to order films of scanned parish registers via your local Family Search centre. These centres are spread worldwide so worth checking to see if you have one local to you.
      Find a FamilySearch center or affiliate location. Get access to personalized help, technology, and exclusive resources to aid your family history journey.

A search of the Family Search library will tell you whether films are available for the parishes you need.
      Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.
      Elaine

Comment

If you are unable to obtain what you want online or through LDS then for Parish Records, (and I presume you mean records pre 1837,) your best bet is to arrange to go to a County Record Office from where your ancestors are from, so if for example, they are from Northamptonshire, you would need to contact the Northants CRO which is at Northampton. Whichever county your ancestors are from, you will need to check the online information available for the CRO of your interest, to make sure that they will be open when you want to go. You may also need to book a reader/table depending on whether or not the CRO is one of the busy ones. You usually need some form of identification and you may require a temporary card for the day. Always use pencils and you may need change for a locker to be able to leave bags etc in a locker If you are just looking for Baptisms, Marriages and Burials then one day MAY be enough but I find that with CRO's, there is usually so much interesting other information that I can get totally absorbed for many days!!

Janet
        Last edited by Janet; 30-08-12, 14:19.

Comment

It may help if you contact the county archive for the county you are looking for, the information regarding this is online if you google.

For example in Devon, you have Exeter Plymouth and Barnstaple archive.

The county's records are mainly on microfilm or micofiche, but some parishes have been transcribed in book form. Book transcriptions are much quicker to search than microfiche, the time it takes varies in the quality of the copies and the handwriting. A lot of very old records can be in list form in tiny difficult to read writing.

In vary rare cases you may need to look through the original record for that parish, so you will need to know where those are kept and times that you can access these of required.
          Bubblebelle x

FAMILY INTERESTS: Pitts of Sherborne Gloucs. Deaney (Bucks). Pye of Kent. Randolph of Lydd, Kent. Youell of Norfolk and Suffolk. Howe of Lampton. Carden of Bucks.

Comment

I have had help before from the OPC (online parish clerk) in several areas of Devon - if you check on GENUKI it will tell you if the area(s) you want are covered. I also bought a very helpful booklet of pre 1837 baptisms for a specific area from the Devon FHS, which only cost me £2 and had lots of helpful leads and info. I don't know where you are looking, but a lot of areas in the UK are covered this way
            Good luck

Denise

Comment

When I look at records for parishes I'm interested in I try to "collect" all instances of the surname(s) in question. I just make lists of dates and (make sure of this 'cos you can be confused!) whether its a burial or baptism, marriages are usually obvious. Don't forget to look at the Wills index for the county as well in case there are some of interest.

I don't try and make sense of the lists while I'm at the Archive. When I get home I set about making mini-trees for each set of children. Unless the surnames are VERY common in the parish you will probably find the connections between the families.

If you need a shortcut, you could go with a list of entries from the IGI on FamilySearch.org and CHECK each of these. They are often correct but also they often have extra information, not listed on the IGI.

I would say you will probably want at least a couple of full days searching .... but of course you never finish!

Anne

Comment

I think you'll find that in all record offices you will be viewing PR on fiche or film, rather than being allowed to handle the registers.

Usually they operate a "help yourself" system for fiche, so no more having to order and wait for the arrival of docs. You can make up a wish list and then just get your seat and work your way through it.

Other stuff may need to be read in the search room - the rules are usually somewhat stricter here so note the advice given above!

Jay
                Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

I do exactly what Anne does - take notes of all instances of my surname and tree them up when I get home.

One point which hasn't been mentioned - looking at records on fiche or film on a viewer is exceedingly TIRING and a strain on the eyes and I defy anyone new to it to do more than a few hours at once.

OC

Comment

All the records at the Isle of Wight Records Office have been indexed onto cards and sorted alphabetically and in date order in Baptisms, Marriages and Burials so it is easy to go through the names. You can then ask to look at the records.
                    Last edited by WendyPusey; 30-08-12, 16:53.
                    Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

Originally posted by WendyPusey View Post
                      All the records at the Isle of Wight Records Office have been indexed onto cards and sorted alphabetically and in date order in Baptisms, Marriages and Burials so it is easy to go through the names. You can then ask to look at the records.
                      Possibly even worth checking the IoW BMD website, if that's your area. http://www.isle-of-wight-fhs.co.uk/index.htm

Having in mind that, even if you have a transcription, there is sometimes additional info in the original, my inclination is also to try to maximise the use of the time you're there:
                      1] Try to get the basic info about the records you're want, before you go - from Family Search, or the relevant OPC site(s), or from one or other of the big sites. Then all you have to do is find them rather than browse for them. Might be worth googling to see if there's anything for the places that interest you.
                      2] Once you're there, it may well be worth listing all the records for the name(s) you're after, and including names which could be variants / mistranscriptions. You never know when they might turn out to be relevant - and it would be expensive to go back!
                      3] Make sure you've found out what ID you will need to get into the place, and what in the In House Rules are.

Christine
                      Last edited by Christine in Herts; 30-08-12, 18:17.
                      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
                        I do exactly what Anne does - take notes of all instances of my surname and tree them up when I get home.

One point which hasn't been mentioned - looking at records on fiche or film on a viewer is exceedingly TIRING and a strain on the eyes and I defy anyone new to it to do more than a few hours at once.

OC
                        Definitely should be mentioned, I agree. One hour maximum and I need a break, and then back to the baptisms, marriages, and burials again.
                        Joy

Comment

Make a note of which years you check and for which surname. It's so much easier to find your pencil notes at a later date and see what else needs checking.
                          eg. Searched Baptisms St Mary's Portsea, 1813 to 1821 ( or whatever) for JONES.
                          Even if you have a negative result in some years, note this down.
                          Some archives have books of transcribed parish records compiled by local family history groups and these can be good for noting any incidence of a surname within a parish, but it is wise to use them just as a guide and to check original registers, or filmed copies, for yourself.

Gwyn

Comment

Yes, make yourself some charts (on scrap paper, doesn't have to be grand) and cross out each year as you have searched it.

I agree, do as much as you possibly can online BEFORE you go, so that your visit to the archives is a checking exercise.

I doubt if many or any church records are still at the churches concerned - but that's another thing you can check on line, the actual location of the records you wish to look at.

Good luck, it's huge fun and you will feel like a proper researcher when you've done it!

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
                              Yes, make yourself some charts (on scrap paper, doesn't have to be grand) and cross out each year as you have searched it.

I agree, do as much as you possibly can online BEFORE you go, so that your visit to the archives is a checking exercise.

I doubt if many or any church records are still at the churches concerned - but that's another thing you can check on line, the actual location of the records you wish to look at.

Good luck, it's huge fun and you will feel like a proper researcher when you've done it!

OC
                              Ooh yes, do check just in case a church still has registers locked in its safe; I had a WONDERFUL time some years ago in Gulval parish church reading the parish registers!
                              Joy

Comment

Perhaps you can let us know what county or counties you are interested in?

Some PRs you can search from your home - many Lincolnshire parish records are available to view on LincstothePast website.

Many COrnish PRs can be viewed through Family Search.

For other counties there are different strategies. If you could be more specific perhaps people who have experience of these counties' PRs can help.
                                Elizabeth
                                Research Interests:
                                England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
                                Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

Just remembered an important point (well it is for me anyway!) If you wear varifocal specs then take some proper reading glasses. There's nothing worse than trying to read from a microfilm reader by having to tip your head back for hours on end!!!

Anne

Comment

Originally posted by Anne in Carlisle View Post
                                    Just remembered an important point (well it is for me anyway!) If you wear varifocal specs then take some proper reading glasses. There's nothing worse than trying to read from a microfilm reader by having to tip your head back for hours on end!!!

Anne
                                    Oh yes most definitely! Also if you are doing any delving into old records such as wills/Marriage Licences/Bonds/Apprenticeship Records etc then some times a magnifying glass is handy.

However we do not know which County/Counties/places you are interested in?

Janet
                                    Last edited by Janet; 30-08-12, 22:38.

Comment

Yes - do note when you've checked something and drawn a blank... nothing worse than going back to check teh same thing again, and still finding it blank!... with a nagging feeling that you've looked at it all before, but can't quite remember.

Christine
                                      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

When searching through parish records, whether at the Records office or online, I find it useful to have a preprinted form on which to record my findings - keeps things nicely in order and is easy to refer back to at a later date.
                                        You will find the sort of thing I mean on our Downloadable Research Forms page in the reference library - click here
                                        Elaine

Comment

Working...
                                        X