Death records

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Death records

Hi, I have been researching my family tree for some years using Ancestary. com. I have done realy well but for one brick wall. My maternal great- grandfather John Henry Martin was born in 1839 in Norway. He was a Master Marriner and come to England in the 1860s. I have found census returns, marrage dates, baptisam notices, his naval record and death record and probate for his widow, Catherine Martin (1925). But no record of his death. He was at sea until 1911, so he must have died between 1911 and 1925. He lived in West Ham and there are quite a few John Martin's in the area at this time but none of them match. Does any one have any suggestions as I,m at my wits end.
    Kind regards, Paulstick.

Have you any idea of an address for him in West Ham? Just thinking you could maybe get a search of it on the Electoral Roll and see when he disappeared from it for a better idea of year of death to narrow the search.

You could also look on deceasedonline website as they have a number of the London Cemeteries indexed so you might find his burial.

Margaret

Comment

Oops! sorry forgot to say welcome to the Forum.

Margaret

Comment

A quick search of deceasedonline comes up with John Martin buried in West Ham Cemetery on 11 Dec 1911 but I had no credits left to look further.

Margaret

Comment

Originally posted by margaretmarch View Post
          A quick search of deceasedonline comes up with John Martin buried in West Ham Cemetery on 11 Dec 1911 but I had no credits left to look further.

Margaret

Margaret - There's the death of an infant John Martin in the West Ham Reg District in Q4 of 1911. Perhaps that's who this burial relates to.

Paul - just because he lived in West Ham, doesn't mean he died there. Have you looked at how many John (H) Martin's died anywhere in England/Wales between 1911 and 1925 to see if there are any of the correct age that might fit?

STG
          Last edited by SmallTownGirl; 30-08-12, 12:37. Reason: correct typos
          Always looking for Goodwins in Berkshire.

Comment

Could he have died at sea?

Christine
            Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Originally posted by Christine in Herts View Post
              Could he have died at sea?

Christine
              He would have been over 72 years of age so whilst possible perhaps unlikely.

Margaret

Comment

Hi Margaret + SmalltownGirl,
                Thank you both for your quick replies, I didn't expect such a quick responce. Yes I do have an address, my mothers family lived in Selwyn Rd Upton Park from the 1880s to the 1950s, with a short gap courtesy of one of Mr Hitlers bombs! I have tried your suggestion of deceasedonline but it didn't seem much help. I bought some credits but when I clicked on his name I just got a longer list of names and no more detail. Am I doing something wrong? How would I consult the electoral roll for this period? Also would deaths at sea appear in an ordinary births and deaths search? He did serve at sea until he was 71 but I think the Lloyds register would have recorded it if he died at whilst in command. Thank you in anticipation, Kind regards Paul.

Comment

Originally posted by paulstick View Post
                  Hi Margaret + SmalltownGirl,
                  Thank you both for your quick replies, I didn't expect such a quick responce. Yes I do have an address, my mothers family lived in Selwyn Rd Upton Park from the 1880s to the 1950s, with a short gap courtesy of one of Mr Hitlers bombs! I have tried your suggestion of deceasedonline but it didn't seem much help. I bought some credits but when I clicked on his name I just got a longer list of names and no more detail. Am I doing something wrong? How would I consult the electoral roll for this period? Also would deaths at sea appear in an ordinary births and deaths search? He did serve at sea until he was 71 but I think the Lloyds register would have recorded it if he died at whilst in command. Thank you in anticipation, Kind regards Paul.
                  With deceasedonline you should get details of who is in a particular grave and the location reference for it so you could go and look for a gravestone.

The electoral rolls are held by libraries local to the address so you should start there, a nice email might get them to look for you (if it's a quiet day!) if they won't do a look up then you have to go personally. If it's too far from you someone on here might be able to do it - check the Research Offers Board.

Deaths at sea can be found on Findmypast.co.uk and are listed the same as other deaths but in a separate index. I can see 11 deaths recorded for 1911 to 1925 and all are 'at sea' the index is titled GRO Marine Death Index.

Margaret
                  Last edited by margaretmarch; 01-09-12, 08:07.

Comment

Of the 11 deaths listed there are 3 without an age the rest are all too young. The index gives the ship where it happened so that might help you.

Margaret

Comment

Hi Margaret,
                      Thank you for your useful suggestions, I'll give a try.
                      Kind regards, Paul.

Comment

Working...
                      X