Facial Recognition Software & Old Photos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Facial Recognition Software & Old Photos

Anyone tried using facial recognition software with their old photos, attempting to match up known photo images to unknown? Especially across time (i.e., child to adult or young adult to elderly?).

What successes and failures have you had, what software have you used?

Thanks
    Sarah

that's very interesting sarah, can't say i've heard of it, but would be interested in any responses.

Comment

I've played with this feature in Picasa. Where I already knew who was in the photos the names it suggested were correct in a few cases, related people in several more but totally random in a good many. It also tried to tell me my aunt was in one photo which didn't contain any people at all, just a background bush where the pattern twigs and leaves looked vaguely like a face :D
      Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Originally posted by PhotoFamily View Post
        Anyone tried using facial recognition software with their old photos, attempting to match up known photo images to unknown? Especially across time (i.e., child to adult or young adult to elderly?).

What successes and failures have you had, what software have you used?

Thanks
        Sarah
        I think it is only Picasa that does it and can only match back on other photos in your catalogue. I don't think it would reliably do what you want .

Margaret

Comment

Originally posted by JudithM View Post
          I've played with this feature in Picasa. Where I already knew who was in the photos the names it suggested were correct in a few cases, related people in several more but totally random in a good many. It also tried to tell me my aunt was in one photo which didn't contain any people at all, just a background bush where the pattern twigs and leaves looked vaguely like a face :D
          That's the kind of thing I feared. I also have photos in profile, varying lighting, etc. I'll nose around on the internet, but if anyone else has experience (+ or -), I'd like to hear about it!

Comment

Here's one quote I've found:
            "Face recognition has been getting pretty good at full frontal faces and 20 degrees off, but as soon as you go towards profile, there've been problems."

The two I've seen mentioned are picasa and fotobounce. No mention of side-to-side comparison

here's a review of fotobounce:

haven't found their privacy policy, however. still looking.
            Last edited by PhotoFamily; 30-08-12, 15:31.

Comment

fotobounce is interesting, but it has not succeeded in identifying child to young adult, or young adult to senior. It's also tried to identify various letters on gravestones as faces (?!).

It's free, keeps your photos on your own computer, but allows sharing of photos among people that you choose. Seems to be slowed down by large files (I like tiff and dense dpi).

privacy policy once you start loading, but this is the weblink:

Comment

Photoshop Elements has a facial recognition function and it works pretty well but I've never tried it for an individual at various ages. You name a face and then it will suggest other faces that match the first one you identified. And yes, it does spot the odd pattern in trees or leaves or whatever & thinks it is a face. I leave it turned off, but that's my choice due to the nature of my use of the Organizer in Elements.

Comment

I'm going to uninstall fotobouncer. I'm really not looking for another photo organizer, and it's not accomplishing the facial recognition that I'd like.

I think that if you wanted to do photosharing with others, but not keep your photos "in the cloud", it would be excellent.

Comment

Working...
                  X