posthumous 2nd baptism??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• posthumous 2nd baptism??

We have been looking at my friends tree today. She has Lydia Jeavons baptised in Coseley 1820, parents Joshua & Phoebe. She marries John Smith in 1851 & dies in 1881, year of birth given at death as 1817

We have found a baptism in Kinfar (Kinver) in for a Lydia Jeavons, parents Joshua & Phoebe born 1817 but baptised in 1901, age 84?? When we have checked most of her family moved from Coseley to Kinver.

Could her family have had her baptised posthumously perhaps believing it had not been done? It seems to much of a coincidence. I understand the Mormons do something like this or are we reading too much into it?

Well, the C of E does not do posthumous baptisms. The only church i know which does posthumous baptisms is the LDS.

Where have you found the record of the baptism please?

OC

Comment

it was on ancestry parish records for Kinfar. Cheers

Comment

Does the bp entry give an age or date of birth? I think I've only ever seen child bp entries give an age.

I thought baptism was a Christian rite and don't know of any sects which have posthumous baptisms.
        I know the Mormons do have some arrangements for admitting people into their church after death, but I'm not sure that it's baptism as we know it and I don't think the information would be available to the public.

What was the wording of the record you found and where was it?

Jay
        Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

I hope this link works. Thank you

Comment

I think the same record is also available on Family Search
            Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.

.. with this presumably being the first baptism
            Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.
            Elaine

Comment

Yes Elaine, thats the ones we have, Thank You

Comment

You can access a transcript here - no record of there having beeb a date of birth in the original

Jay
                Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

The batch numbers beginning with "I" are suspect. they were independent uncontrolled extractions done by people with the best of intentions but usually in pursuit of their own relatives.

The only other suggestion is that you have the wrong death for your lady! Baptism at age 84 suggests she might have been baptised in extremis, not being sure whether she had been baptised as a child.

OC

Comment

Thank you both, perhaps its just a coincidence

Comment

I think I would want to know more about the originals of the 2 sets of records and also where the IGI transcripts fit in.

I'd try either visiting the appropriate record office, or e-mailing the archivist, and explain about the two sets of records and ask if they can throw any light on the subject.
                      I did find a link to the IGI film page for Kinver - there was no mention of having filmed the bp register for as late as 1901.

Jay
                      Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

is it possible the later one is a submitted entry and refers to a baptism before death in 1881? as in she changed faiths at some point, like became non conformist or vice versa? i have seen adult baptisms, and baptisms of non conformists into church of england, but never a posthumous baptism. do you have the marriage cert to prove it is the same joshua in both baptisms?

Comment

We do have the marriage cert (father Joshua) but but there seems to be no way of proving the he is the same man unless Kinver registers can shed more light on his occupation if given.
                          Thank you for your suggestions, I will mull over them & try to contact or visit Kinver.

Comment

Working...
                          X