Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More Military Advice Please

Hi

My ggg grandfather, a Private in the 3rd Hussars and I am trying to understand what the 3rd Hussars were. His records appear to show that he was UK based for his service, which I was a little disapponted about, I had hoped for some excitement overseas; and I am not sure where the Hussars fitted into the UK Army. Can anyone throw some light on this please?

Thank you

I knew little about them, apart from an idea they were a cavalry regiment so I googled and found loads of references including this from the museum of the Queen's Own Hussars (which were made up of 4 regiments including the 3rd Kings Own Hussars amalgamating in 1958) http://www.qohmuseum.org.uk/3rd.htm
    Seems the 3rd Hussars served in France and Flanders in WW1
    Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Hi

Thanks. I had visited the website previously but I am trying to find out where they fit into the list of regiments (?) that are listed on FTP Military information as they are not listed. I am aware that they have recently been incorported into other regiments but the period I am interested in is 1880 to 1890.

Comment

Not sure what FTP is so can't hel;p you with their list of regiments.

" the period I am interested in is 1880 to 1890."
        From the website ." In 1868 they sailed again for India spending eleven peaceful years there before another nineteen in England and Ireland, equally without incident. The 3rd provided it's share for the socially elite Camel Corps in 1884, three years it was once again sent for service in India.Disease disabled the Regiment as normal in India before finally it was sent to see active service in South Africa in November 1901. "
        so -
        India 1868-1879,
        England and Ireland 1879-1898,
        India 1898-1901,
        South Africa 1901.....
        Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Should have read FTF (Family Tree Forum) in the reference library relating to military affairs there is a list of regiments, 3rd Hussars, not being mentioned and I wondered if they fell under a different name.

Comment

I was looking for family a few weeks back and he was in the Hussars in WW1 and a long narrative on a site gave a day to day account.. it was hard .
            I have had al look on the net and there is a site 3rd Hussars armynavyairforce which has a few photos 1890s.. including one of the ordinary soldiers working in the Stables at Aldershot... mention the airforce pilots come to mind.. but without all the groundstaff there would be no planes flying.
            I don't have the skill to put a link to the site.

Comment

Originally posted by Gill D View Post
              Should have read FTF (Family Tree Forum) in the reference library relating to military affairs there is a list of regiments, 3rd Hussars, not being mentioned and I wondered if they fell under a different name.
              Gill - they don't "fit" in to the list of regiments in the reference library (http://www.familytreeforum.com/conte...Army-Regiments) because the list does not include any cavalry regiments

It is a later period than you are looking at - but an outline of the cavalry at the start of WW1 in 1914 here - http://www.1914-1918.net/cavalry.htm - might help - the basic set up hadn't changed a lot from the 1880's

There are pay and muster books available to view at the National Archives at Kew if you can get there

I looked at them a few years ago for some background on an ancestor who served at a similar time - there was not a lot of personal information on individuals but I found the background information fascinating particularly the prices they paid for horses - mostly from Ireland and fodder and equipment etc

Unfortunately all the notes I made at the time are in storage in Australia while I am on an extended stay in France so I can't access them I'm afraid

Comment

Working...
              X