Big brick wall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big brick wall

I am looking for a William Geoffrey Blake who died in Hastings in 1955 aged 40, he married name removed - possibly still living in 1940 in Tonbridge Kent. We have pictures which show him as a Sgt in the Seaforth Highlanders and also RMAC, but as yet no birth records. William had 1 full blood sister called name removed - possibly still living and a half brother and sister. Very strangely I am told by family members that William was born a Chambers but when he went into the army he changed it to Blake. name removed - possibly still living was a Chambers and changed her name to Blake. Its all very bizarre, I have applied for William's death certificate. I am thinking maybe William was of Scottish birth as he was in the highlanders but alas nothing found. Any ideas where to go next please.

Sorry, but your post has been edited. Unless you are sure that all the people mentioned are deceased, then their names should not be posted here.

Caroline

From our Terms and Conditions:

DO NOT post any identifying details of living people either in forum posts or on our names database. Such posts will be amended by the moderators without warning and further action may be taken as per our abuse policy. When moderating we use a cut-off date of anyone who was born after 1915 or who married after 1935, without confirmation of death.

The most usual scenario in cases like this is that the father died, mother remarried and her children were "known as" with step-father's surname.
    When the children were adults, they sometimes reverted to their birth surname - it may have been that William needed to show his birth cert or give full family details when he enlisted.

If he had a full sister and also half-siblings, it sounds as if there was probably a second marriage/relationship for his mother.

Jay
    Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

I have sent you a private message for the details so I can see if I can help. Have a look at the notifications tab at the top right of the page for my message.

Regards,
      Margaret

PS it would be helpful to know the name he gave for his father on the marriage certificate to the lady in 1940.
      Last edited by margaretmarch; 28-08-12, 10:27.

Comment

Thankyou Margaret

Comment

Thanks for the details I'll have a look this afternoon to see what I can find. In the meantime do you have the 1940 marriage certificate? If not that would be a good record to get so you can see the name and occupation of his father. Also sometimes witnesses can give good clues as to wider family.

Margaret

Comment

When you have the death certificate you would be able to apply for William's service record provided you are a relative of his - you have to be related otherwise they won't let you have them and they cost £30. From these records you might get his next of kin for when he enlisted.

Margaret

Comment

There are only two W G B***** births in 1915 one in Wallingford Berks and the other in Southampton.

The one in Wallingford seems to have a sister G E born 1912 so I'm wondering if this is your man and his sister E**** but I really think you need to see the marriage cert to get some more reference points for checking findings.

Can you say where you got your information from about the name changes and the other siblings? Some rough dates would be good too if you have any and things like - were the siblings older or younger? Did the females get married and if so to whom - you may have to send the details by PM.

Margaret

Comment

Working...
              X