Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Being very cheeky this weekend!!

My Gran had a niece called Marie Hammond

Marie was born in 1919 in New York and died of burns in 1922 in Bellevue Hospital, New York,

She is buried with her Father and Mother George (Gran's brother) and Anna at Calvary Cemetery, New York.

Anyone got any ideas where I might find anything in any newspapers about this? I've googled but not had much luck

Thanks

Linda

There are US newspapers online - but I think they're mostly on paid-for sites.

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Just found a new-to-me website of weblinks. You can drill down & find NY. Bad news - they only list two newspapers online for NY: Brooklyn & Northern NY which won't cover Queens.

I think NY Times used to be on Ancestry, but I think it may now be gone? Might be available thru ProQuest.

More bad news: NYC was so big, the NY Times charged for obits & notices. All you're likely to get from it would be name, date. With burns, she might have made it into an actual article...

You've seen the memorial pages on Findagrave? There's flowers left on their pages. You can request photos to be taken of the gravestones.

Will take a peek in ancestry. sub is still active today
      Last edited by PhotoFamily; 27-08-12, 22:56.

Comment

This site has lots of old NY newspaper images. You don't need to log in, just enter your search term. I had a look for Marie Hammond, but couldn't see anything immediately.

http://fultonhistory.com/Fulton.html
        Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Comment

Originally posted by ozgirl View Post
          This site has lots of old NY newspaper images. You don't need to log in, just enter your search term. I had a look for Marie Hammond, but couldn't see anything immediately.

http://fultonhistory.com/Fulton.html
          Don't think it has much for NYC, tho. Mostly "upstate" New York

Comment

Queens library does look ups, for a fee:

Their newspaper holdings are listed at the bottom of this:

Interesting that they include brooklyn newspapers. Might be worth a try for the online Brooklyn paper.

Ancestry does still have NY Times - nothing for the three of them that I could spot.

Comment

Thanks very much people. It may have made an article...apparently she died of burns in the hospital caused by her nightie catching fire, she was the only child of George and Anna

Will follow up the leads you have given me tonight

Linda

Comment

Working...
              X