I need help again please.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need help again please.

I have just recieved the marriage cert of Ernest Blythe Gurton born 1872 married 24/1/1921 Elsie Miriam Eaton, to certify that I had the correct parents for Elsie, which I have! Now I have a dilemma, as Ernest's father is recorded as being ernest Blythe Gurton too who at the time of the marriage was a G.E.R Porter!, I have only found Ernest on the census' with Florence his mother who is single. Help? Was he just told this was his father's name? if anyone can find Ernest Senior I would appreciate it it, if not I will send for Ernest's 1872 birth cert. Dohhhhhhh. Forgot to put birth and marriage in Hatfield Peveral, Essex

sunny x
    Last edited by Sunny Rosy; 27-08-12, 16:41. Reason: to add info

The father could have been dead, they didn't always add that fact ... I think probably only if the vicar asked!

Also consider that the groom might not have had a known father. I have on a number of occasions suspected that a groom just used his own name to concoct a father so the space wasn't blank. Of course it was common in those days for father and one of his sons to have the same name.

Anne

Comment

Are you sure he wasn't born in 1893 Sunny? It's the only birth I can find for that name.
      Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

It must be 1893 here's the 1901 census for him with mother Florence http://search.ancestry.co.uk/iexec?h...c=&pid=9925706

I imagine it was a made up name to hide the fact that he was illegitimate.

Margaret

Comment

Here he is in 1911 still with mother Florence but also with a sister Alma W Gurton b1902 http://search.ancestry.co.uk/iexec?h...=&pid=53546349 Florence is still noted as single.

Margaret

Comment

It looks like Gurton is Florence's maiden name as her mother Sarah Ann Gurton married Charles Sparkes in 1876 and he is the head of household for Florence and her children in 1901 and 1911. She is shown as step daughter

Margaret

Comment

There is a birth for Florence Gurton too in Witham in March 1872.
              Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Yes 1893 gor confused with Florence's dob. Thanks you've both found all the info I could find about them including Sarah Ann's marriage to Charles Sparkes. So it looks as if Sarah Ann and Florence and Ernest Blythe were all illigitimate ? do you agree? very unfortunate. I don't think that sending for his birth cert will tell me anything I don't already know, do you think?
                sunny x

Comment

Originally posted by Sunny Rosy View Post
                  Yes 1893 gor confused with Florence's dob. Thanks you've both found all the info I could find about them including Sarah Ann's marriage to Charles Sparkes. So it looks as if Sarah Ann and Florence and Ernest Blythe were all illigitimate ? do you agree? very unfortunate. I don't think that sending for his birth cert will tell me anything I don't already know, do you think?
                  sunny x
                  Do you know Sarah Ann's name before she was Gurton? I can't see that what we have found shows she is illegitimate but it is possible that Florence was if Sarah Ann was single when she married Sparkes but unless you get that marriage cert or find her in the census before the marriage then you can't say.

It's possible that Ernest is the son of someone called Blythe as it can be the case that a single woman would give the surname of the father as a second name for the child.

You can't assume the birth cert would not give you any other information but on the face of it it seems unlikely.

Margaret

Comment

Here's a possibility for Sarah Ann with her parents in 1871 http://search.ancestry.co.uk/iexec?h...c=&pid=4054302 and she has a brother Ernest but has both parents showing so doesn't look as if she's illegitimate unless they didn't marry.

Margaret

Comment

Someone with the username shackereveritt on ancestry has put a correction for Sarah Ann Gurton on the 1871 census transcript so it might be worth making contact to see what is known.

Margaret

Comment

Here's the same Sarah Ann Gurton in 1861 http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...&rhSource=7619

Margaret

Comment

and in 1851 http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...&rhSource=8860

Margaret

Comment

There's a tree on ancestry owner jlarner18 that has Sarah Ann in it and gives her mother name as Harriett Emmery with the marriage to Edward as Dec 1846 Maldon.

Margaret

Comment

Sorry Margaret, got that messed up. Sarah was obviously unmarried when she had Ernest and Florence, but not illigitimate herself. Edward Gurton married Harriet Emery and they were Sarah's parents. Sarah on the 1881 as Sarah Ann Sparkes has Florence and Ernest with her (although Florence is down as Sparkes) and another child Harriet Sparkes from her marriage with Charles. I will get Ernest Blythe Gurton's birth cert in case it does give me some more info. Thanks for your reply and info. I know what you mean about Blythe maybe being name of father. it happened in my Grandmother's case , she had two children whose second names were the name of their father and I was able to establish who he was and had it verified.

sunny x

Comment

Margaret in 1891 Census, Florence was a nursemaid in lancashire, maybe there is a Blythe roundabout her address will have a look, of course I can't prove anything just looking to see for curiosity's sake. LOL

sunny x

Comment

Ah! right I couldn't see Florence before the 1901 so good idea to check for a Blythe nearby as it could very well be a lead.
                                  Margaret

Comment

I am new to the forum and have only just seen this post. I am Elsie and Ernest's granddaughter. Are you related to them? I have been doing some research into both sides of the family and would be interested to find out what you have discovered.

Comment

Hi Rural girl The Gurtons are not part of my own family. Sorry I was searching for someone else. Sorry to disappoint you but I can't remember who the person was after all this time.

sunny rosy

Comment

Working...
                                      X