Need help finding information please.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help finding information please.

Hi can someone help me please? I'm trying to look for information on my great-grandmother Emily Thomas, estimated birth of 1883. I did the search on Ancestry yesterday and got a match for one married to George Phillips with a child named Ivy, I do know that this is correct so I know that it's her but what I'd like help with is her parents. I was lead to a hint that I can't look at due to not having an account on Ancestry but it was for the 1891 census record and I was wondering if anyone could look it up and see if it confirms with the names and dates that I found on another tree through Mundia?

Emily Thomas-1883
    Father- Evan Thomas- 1833
    Mother- Mary Jones- 1847
    5 children. Emily, Jacob, Thomas, and Joseph and a mysterious Alfred Chapman.

I'd be ever so thankful, I can provide the link if you'd like?
    Lennon. Phillips. Thomas. Peacock. Tubridy. Burton.

I am the girl from that town & I'm darn proud of it.

Are you anywhere near a library?

Many libraries have the Library Edition of Ancestry which is free to members, if you visit a branch. You'd expect to have to book a spell of time on the computer.

Have you tried here: http://www.freecen.org.uk/ ?

In the longer term, if you really want to pursue genealogy, then you will need to consider paying a sub to one or other of the big sites. It will save you a considerable amount of travel costs. If you have London records, then Ancestry has a lot of the parish registers held by the LMA (London Metropolitan Archives): that covers especially the City. Find My Past (a.k.a. FMP) hold a lot of the Westminster archives material, so parishes more to the west of London. Access to the wedding register images could save you a lot of money - about £9/£10 a record! Some baptism register entries include a detailed DoB.

Christine
    Last edited by Christine in Herts; 26-08-12, 20:27.
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Originally posted by lennon2011 View Post
      Hi can someone help me please? I'm trying to look for information on my great-grandmother Emily Thomas, estimated birth of 1883. I did the search on Ancestry yesterday and got a match for one married to George Phillips with a child named Ivy, I do know that this is correct so I know that it's her but what I'd like help with is her parents. I was lead to a hint that I can't look at due to not having an account on Ancestry but it was for the 1891 census record and I was wondering if anyone could look it up and see if it confirms with the names and dates that I found on another tree through Mundia?

Emily Thomas-1883
      Father- Evan Thomas- 1833
      Mother- Mary Jones- 1847
      5 children. Emily, Jacob, Thomas, and Joseph and a mysterious Alfred Chapman.

I'd be ever so thankful, I can provide the link if you'd like?
      A census record would not tell you a wife's maiden name so I'm puzzled as to what exactly the hint was that you found.

If you can give the link and the place of birth for all the names concerned that might help find the record you are looking for.
      Margaret

Comment

The Emily Thomas aged 8, 1891 census with Evan (58, born Llanthirstour, Glamorgan, Wales) and Mary (44, Stockton) is from Stockton on Tees, Durham. There are other children Jacob (21), Thomas (12) and Joseph (10), along with a daughter in law, Mathilda L (20)

Comment

There isn't an Alfred Chapman to be seen

Comment

There's an Evan Thomas wedding in Stockton Q1 1863, with a possible Bride of Mary Ann Butterwick, and another Q1 1881 with a possible bride, Mary Ann Ogle.
            Most Evan Thomas to Mary Jones weddings bring up weddings in Wales.

Comment

that may be it. Evan was Welsh. Born in Glamorgan.. I'm trying to find that other bit of information again..

Comment

Originally posted by Konovolov View Post
                The Emily Thomas aged 8, 1891 census with Evan (58, born Llanthirstour, Glamorgan, Wales) and Mary (44, Stockton) is from Stockton on Tees, Durham. There are other children Jacob (21), Thomas (12) and Joseph (10), along with a daughter in law, Mathilda L (20)
                Matilda Louisa Hunt

Jul 1870 - Dec 1960

Born: Durham, England

Died: Sunderland, Durham, England

Would that be the daughter in law?

Comment

fmp has a lot of welsh records, so you may get somewhere with the welsh side with them.

Comment

Just working back from what you know for sure!

Can you confirm that this is the right family in the 1911 census

George Phillips c 1879 Stockton, Durham, occ. Steam Jibb Crane Driver
                    Emily Phillips c 1883 Stockton, Durham
                    Ivy Phillips aged 2 yrs 6 months on the census, born Stockton
                    baby (unnamed) Phillips age 2 months on the census, born Stockton

address: 16 Buxton St Stockton On Tees

Census shows they have been married for 9 years, 4 children born, 3 children still living, 1 child has died.

Begin your discovery today by exploring the world's largest online family history resource!

If it is right, then presume this is the marriage:
                    Marriages Jun 1903
                    Phillips George
                    Thomas Emily
                    Stockton volume 10a, page 172
                    Elaine

Comment

George Phillips c 1879 Stockton, Durham, occ. Steam Jibb Crane Driver
                      Emily Phillips c 1883 Stockton, Durham
                      Ivy Phillips aged 2 yrs 6 months on the census, born Stockton
                      baby (unnamed) Phillips age 2 months on the census, born Stockton

address: 16 Buxton St Stockton On Tees

Census shows they have been married for 9 years, 4 children born, 3 children still living, 1 child has died.

That is the correct person. George and Emily are my Great-Grandparents, obviously it doesn't mention it but they had Ivy, Mary, Tommy (Thomas), Albert (My Grandad) and Emily.

When I saw that census the other day mu Mum was a bit mistified as Mary is meant to have been the oldest but obviously this was wrong. We've never heard of a child dying on Grandad's side so that's another mystery to try and locate..

Comment

has some records - but not the 1863 or 1881 marriages (yet).

There's a birth for a George PHILLIPS in 1879, but they haven't got the MMN for that yet; and, similarly, a birth for Emily THOMAS in 1883.
                        Ivy PHILLIPS was b 1908, and there are 5 PHILLIPS children b 1911: Mildred, Alfred, Beatrice, Henry and Minnie. They have a slot for MMN, but it's not there, yet.

Christine
                        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Originally posted by lennon2011 View Post
                          that may be it. Evan was Welsh. Born in Glamorgan.. I'm trying to find that other bit of information again..
                          One of the sites has a lot of Welsh records online - FamilySearch? - Including PR images.

Christine

Comment

So I've figure out the Alfred part out. Evan Thomas, 1836 - Born: Llantrisant, Glamorganshire, Wales

Mary Chapman, 1846 - Born: Stockton-on-Tees, Durham, England

They married and had:Jacob Thomas, 1870 - Born: Stockton-on-Tees, Durham,England

After this the name Alfred pops up quite a lot in Jacob's son, grandson etc so I guess that's what got me so confused.

Comment

Working...
                            X