james palmer b.1839

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• james palmer b.1839

can i get some thoughts on what to do with james palmer please?

james palmer b.1839, glassonby, cumberland. birth registered under penrith district. parents john palmer (1793-1866) and ellen shearman (1796-1885). he is one of 10 siblings all accounted for.

present in the 1841 census, so did not die in 1840 as every ancestry tree has written.

the entire family emmigrated to australia in 1850 aboard the 'culloden' and settled in kyneton, victoria. many of the elder family members in letters from the 1980's said his name was on the passenger lists for the ship, though i cannot get a copy of it to check that.

his father's death cert lists him as alive in 1866, (but the informant was the undertaker, so he may not have known- the grandmother's maiden name was wrong) but his mother's lists him as dead in 1885.

i cannot find a death that fits with a birth of around 1840. the only one that may be right on ancestry is for 1873, victoria no place given in ancestry's version of the index. no parents listed, age 40 b.1833.

is that death worth looking at? can anyone think of anything to help?

Were there 2 James Palmers? Did one die and the newborn also named James?....................just a thought.

Comment

It could be 'another' James Palmer but there is one in Cumberland sentenced to one days imprisonment having spent 3 months in
      prison awaiting trial for Housebreaking in 1891.
      Your Search isnt helped by so many James Palmers to-ing and frowing all over the place.
      There is even one coming back to UK from Sydney 1908 aged 73...................just a thought.
      Last edited by AlanC; 26-08-12, 09:46. Reason: more info

Comment

as far as i know, none of the family went back to england, but maybe james did? it being a common name though, i don't know how i would track him down.

Comment

Working...
        X