Family Tree CDs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Family Tree CDs

I've been looking around for disks that may help, would anyone reccomend anything that may help for those that don't have an Ancestry membership?
    Lennon. Phillips. Thomas. Peacock. Tubridy. Burton.

I am the girl from that town & I'm darn proud of it.

There are some free sites and you should find details of these in our Getting Started section in the reference library - but when you are starting out, which I think you are, you really need access to census information which basically means a subscription to Ancestry or Findmypast.

Another thought!
    How are you recording the information that you are finding.
    Can I suggest that you think about getting a program on your computer to store your info - and the most useful one to you would be Family Tree Maker which comes with a 6 month free Ancestry subscription.

Here is a link to Amazon

This is the 2010 version - not the most up to date but nothing wrong with it. The 6 month free sub is worth in excess of £50 and would give you the opportunity to do some searching at home rather than having to go to the library.

If you have a Tesco Club Card you might be able to get the 2012 version for £20 (I think!).
    Elaine

Comment

Have a look at the Online Research page - http://www.familytreeforum.com/conte...nline-Research
      Elaine

Comment

I did the find my past one yesterday at the library but i don't find that to be as effective as Ancestry. in terms of family search I've found more on my Nanna's mother than I have anything else. But that might be because I only know little things. Father is named Thomas Tubridy, Origonally from Ireland and that we've heard he was 18 when he came over to york. There's not really much to go on..

Comment

This is the problem, it really depends on where your ancestors come from as to which site is the best!
          Ancestry.co.uk basically covers England and Wales, Findmypast.co.uk again is basically England & Wales, Scotlands People is needed for Scottish research ... and well, as for Ireland, it is noticably difficult.

One thing I did notice when you asked a question yesterday that there were some public trees on Ancestry which showed Thomas Tubridy and his parents. Ancestry has a sister site called Mundia and all public trees are duplicated on that site. It is free to join and search so might be worth you having a look and seeing what you can find. If you find something don't just copy it without checking the details as there are many trees on the internet which contain inaccurate information. What you can do is contact the tree submitter and you may find that he/she might be happy to share their research with you. At least it gives you a basis for your searches.

Re Ireland - take a look at our Irish page in the reference library to see if there are any links which might be useful - there is also a research guide for Irish research which is worth reading.

The most important thing is to work back one generation at a time, confirming your findings as you go - and probably in the early stages it is best to concentrate on one line at a time.

You will need some way of storing your information - Family Tree Maker program is only one of the programs available - and I mentioned it because of the possibility of getting a 6 month free subscription to Ancestry - but there are other programs around, some of which are free.
          Elaine

Comment

Thank you immensly, again. My Aunt did do the search before but her information is truly incorrect and she wouldn't share anything with us. I'm truly glad that I did find this site as you are truly helpful. I shall do as you suggested.

Comment

Well I've found the full name of one of Thomas next wives and one that I think may be another wife.

Comment

Yeah so I've found everything I need on Thomas Tubridy
                I had Ancestry opened up and a new hint came up for another wife of Thomas. I randomly searched the name in Mundia and I was lead to 2 family trees by the same person. Granted most of it is private but from the names I saw It's definately that Thomas. I have sent a message and now I'm just praying for a reply.

Comment

Working...
                X