The Burtons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Burtons

Okay I've learnt my mistake and won't do it again. I went to the local library today and I was able to find infromation on my Mum's side of the family upto my 3 times great grandparents. Sarah and James Thomas Burton. What I can't understand is that in one census it said that they had a 4 year old son named Joshua and in another one Joshua didn't exist but James Thomas Jr did. Mistake or real?
    Lennon. Phillips. Thomas. Peacock. Tubridy. Burton.

I am the girl from that town & I'm darn proud of it.

Might help if you could give us some dates and places of birth for the family (as long as they are deceased!)

Not sure if this is the family you are looking at:

1881 census
    James Thos. Burton c 1852 Selby, Yorkshire, England Head
    Sarah Burton c 1853 Selby, Yorkshire, England Wife
    George W. Burton c 1875 Selby, Yorkshire, England Son
    Joshua Burton c 1877 Selby, Yorkshire, England Son

RG11; Piece: 4709; Folio: 12; Page: 18;

If that is the right family then I can see the same family in 1891 and 1901 with Joshua still living with the parents. There is also a James Thomas Burton in the same family in both the following censuses.

RG12; Piece: 3878; Folio: 5; Page: 4;

RG13; Piece: 4429; Folio: 8; Page: 8.

I can give you the transcriptions of the 1891 and 1901 census if it's the right family
    Elaine

Comment

Yeah I can only get that part because I don't have a paying account.

1881 census
      James Thos. Burton c 1852 Selby, Yorkshire, England Head
      Sarah Burton c 1853 Selby, Yorkshire, England Wife
      George W. Burton c 1875 Selby, Yorkshire, England Son
      Joshua Burton c 1877 Selby, Yorkshire, England Son

Comment

Here are the transcriptions for the other two censuses.

1891 census

James T Burton c 1852 Selby, Yorkshire Head - occ. potato merchant and farmer
        Sarah Burton c 1854 Selby, Yorkshire Wife
        George W Burton ct 1875 Selby, Yorkshire Son
        Joshua Burton c 1877 Selby, Yorkshire Son
        James T Burton c 1890 Barlby, Yorkshire Son
        address: Hemingbrough, Yorkshire

1901 census
        James Thomas Burton c 1852 Selby, Yorkshire Head - occ potato merchant and farmer
        Sarah Burton c1853 Selby, Yorkshire Wife
        George William Burton c 1875 Selby, Yorkshire Son - occ. Clerk
        Joshua Burton c 1876 Selby, Yorkshire Son - occ. Ironmongers assistant
        James Thomas Burton ct 1891 Barley, Yorkshire Son
        Mary Jane Brazier c1881 Carlton, Yorkshire - occ. Servant
        address: Barlbry Grove, Barlby, Yorkshire
        Elaine

Comment

James Thomas Burton 59
          Sarah Burton 58
          George William Burton 36
          James Thomas Burton

Comment

Going by the ages, I presume that is the 1911 census.
            Joshua could well have been married by then - you could check on a site such as FreeBMD to see if you could find a suitable marriage for him.
            Elaine

Comment

I'm still positive that there's an error but I shall have a check. Thanks Elaine. I'm just thankful to have gotten that far.

Comment

This looks like the 1911 census - I will give you the link to ancestry so you can check it when you next go to the library.

Class: RG14; Piece: 28314

Joshua Burton, b c1877 Selby - occ. Ironmonger
                Elsie May Burton b c1884 Wiston, Yorkshire

.. and from free BMD, a possible marriage

Marriages Sep 1908
                BURTON Joshua
                CHAMBERS Elsie May
                Selby volume 9c, page 1374
                Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by lennon2011 View Post
                  I'm still positive that there's an error but I shall have a check. .
                  Where do you think there is an error, and what do you think the error is?
                  Elaine

Comment

i guess it's just me. i'm not that good with finding the correct information etc.

after my nanna this is the information that i've found so far for her mother's family.

MOTHER - Florence Burton was born in 1908 and married Tommy in 1924. She had a brother named Charles and 2 sisters named Hilda and Violet. Her Father was named George William and her Mother Beatrice. Beatrice stops here.

George’s parents were called James Thomas and Sarah. He also had a younger brother named James Thomas.

Comment

You really need to work back one generation at a time confirming your findings with certificates if necessary. I think this Selby family above is incorrect.

There is a census in 1911 with the following people in the household:
                      George William Burton 38 - occ. Livery Stable Groom
                      Beatrice Burton 28
                      Florence Burton 9
                      Charles Burton 6
                      Hilda Burton 3
                      Violet Burton 9/12

address: 13 Alexandra Yard Walmgate York

George William Burton was born in 1873 in York - probably not the same person as the George William Burton above who was born in Selby.

This is the link to the 1911 census so you can check it out at the library
                      Elaine

Comment

that's why i thought there was a mistake. I do know for deffinate that Florence was the name of my nanna's mother and she married Thomas Tubridy in 1924. I found the paperwork for that earlier through Findmypast but I did that at the library so it was free to use.

Comment

If you have the marriage of Florence to Thomas then really the next thing you should do is to get the marriage certificate which would confirm the name of Florence's father.
                          However, as you said that Florence had a brother Charles and 2 sisters named Hilda and Violet, it seems that the 1911 census information I have given in post #11 is correct (although I would still recommend you get the marriage certificate at some point just to make sure!)

You now need to work backwards from that. Look at the ages of the George and Beatrice, as well as the ages of the children to work out when they may have married. In actual fact if you look at the image of the census then you will see they say they have been married for 10 years so you are looking for a marriage c1901. You should be able to find this on FreeBMD.

When you are working back then use the information you have already found in the 1911 census, e.g. years and places of birth for George and Beatrice - and although ancestors were not always consistent in the information they gave it does help as a starting point.

As I said before, I don't think the Selby families are correct so discard them for now before you get muddled!

You might also find that some of our guides in the reference library might be of help to you - if you click on the Reference Library tab on the navigation bar you will see a list of contents in the left hand column - there is a Getting Started section which might give you some ideas as well as useful links to other websites.
                          Elaine

Comment

Thank you immensly.. I shall do that. It's a good job it's not my Dad's side of the family :P

Comment

I've finally found a death for Florence- 1931. My Nanna never even had the chance to know her own mother..

Comment

Working...
                              X