transferring from ancestry to gramps?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• transferring from ancestry to gramps?

thought i would download gramps and transfer my family tree in ancestry, im doing all it says, including save as but it comes up adobe reader is unable to open file as its not supported ?????....................what am i doing wrong ? and believe me im thick as .... when it comes to technical things so any help would be appriciated in plain, simple english please
    tim

I have never used Gramps software but it is normal when dealing with genealogical data that the format of files is GEDCOM, not pdf format which is usually read with Adobe reader.

Presume you have downloaded your tree from Ancestry and the file is stored on your computer. Can you see the file - what is the file extension (the letters after the full stop) - e.g. mytree.???
    It should be GED.

I would presume you then either import this file directly into the Gramps software or start a new tree on Gramps and then do the import.

There are alternatives which are more commonly used, some of which are freebies - might be worth taking a look at the research guides in our reference library on the following link:
    Elaine

Comment

cheers elaine, will check it out in a bit, just got back from taking the mrs shopping so cuppa first

Comment

Working...
      X