Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone have access to Brighton marriages and baptisms 1827 - 1837 please?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone have access to Brighton marriages and baptisms 1827 - 1837 please?

If so, would they be kind enough to check the following marriage and baptism for me please? (The marriage ref first appeared on the old IGI and was described as "submitted")

Brighton St Nicholas 11 June 1827 - Joseph Boulter & Maria (or Mary Ann)
    Was the bride's surname Williams and was she a spinster or widow, any witnesses named?

And a subsequent baptism - Brighton St Nicholas 30 June 1829 - Charles Boulter s/o Joseph Boulter & Mary Anne
    I'm anxious to verify the year - don't suppose there's any additional information?

Are there any burial records from this period available on line?

Thanks for reading this.

Jay
    Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Baptism date is correct, the father is an Artist of Grosvenor Street.

The SMI transcript doesn't name any witnesses. Bride married as Mary Ann rather than Maria, they were bachelor & spinster & both of the parish.
    Last edited by Jill on the A272; 24-08-12, 11:17. Reason: typo

Comment

I can't find any burials. Grosvenor Street was demolished in the 1960s but there's a photo of it here

Comment

Thankyou for that Jill.

The "artist" confirms that Joseph father of Charles is one of my lot, but now throws up another conundrum.
        The full name of Joseph the artist was Joseph Gapp Boulter.
        In the list of merchant seamen, I've come across records for a Charles Gapp Boulter, who according to his ticket, was born Kennington (Lambeth) 11 Apr 1830. However, as the ticket was issued September 1846, when Charles was 16, it is only slightly out.

I'm not too worried about the claim that the birth was in Lambeth whilst the bp was in Brighton. I believe there to have been an earlier son, Joseph Gapp Boulter, bp Kennington 1827, but possibly born in Brighton.
        I can't find Joseph senior in 1841 (he died in Gt Yarmouth in 1843) and I can't find Mary Ann either, but I think she was probably dead.
        I found the following 2 boys in Brighthelmstone workhouse in 1841 -
        James Gapp
        Charles Gapp
        (no Boulter)

In 1851 census there was a Joseph Boulter, artist, born Brighton, with a John Gaines & family

if anyone can add any more to the saga, I'd be very grateful.

Jay
        Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Thanks for additional info Jill

Jay
          Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

I had a look at the Parish Register Transcription Society Online Database, (http://prtsoc.frontisgroup.com/bin/index.php) but they only have the Baptisms from Brighton St Nicholas so far.

Their records are more numerous for West Sussex than East Sussex.
            Caroline
            Caroline's Family History Pages
            Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Thankyou Caroline. I'll try and look into that.

It gets a bit complicated as there was also a Joseph Holloway Boulter in Brighton for a short time in the 1830's, but as far as I know, there's no connection between the families of the two different Josephs. I think Joseph H may have had links with Kent whilst Joseph Gapp was brought up in Lambeth, although his parents originated in Norfolk.

Jay
              Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Sorry - going gaga

Joseph Gapp Boulter sen died in Norwich (of St Andrew's workhouse) in 1843 and NOT Great Yarmouth as stated in an earlier post.

Jay
                Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Working...
                X