Address ideas from London School admission registers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Address ideas from London School admission registers

For those with Ancestry: http://search.ancestry.co.uk/browse/...attingham&st=g

For those without Ancestry: London Schools Admission register for Earl Street School, Greenwich - ideas please for the home address of Geo. Tattingham, admitted on 20 Jan 1902. If he's the right person, in 1901 he was a visitor at an address in Canning Town. His father was widowed. The birth date fits with "my" George Tattingham.
    Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

It looks like Beaconsfield House Majestic Road to me
    Margaret
    Ps checked Google maps and it's Majendie Road
    Last edited by margaretmarch; 24-08-12, 10:07.

Comment

I found this site http://yourarchives.nationalarchives...reet_Index_M-O which gives the 1891 ref RG 12/538, 120 for the census for Beaconsfield House so that will hopefully give you a better idea of what sort of place that was.
      Margaret

Comment

Thanks very much, Margaret. I see that higher up the page Jas. Wright lives at Beaconsfield Cot., Majendie Raod, which is also on the 1891 census schedule you found. Off to Google Beaconsfield House. This is a family firmly rooted in Hertfordshire and the East End, so my current hypothesis is that the son was placed in lodgings and school by his widowed father. Closer relatives think he went to Ireland (where I've found a marriage in 1913), which is perhaps why I can't find him in trhe 1911 census.

Comment

Ah right! good hunting.

Margaret

Comment

Looked at Majendie Road on Google maps. Typical Victorian terraced houses, with no sign of a "big house". Named after Colonel Sir Vivian Dering Majendie who was one of the first bomb disposal experts and Chief Inspector of Explosives to Queen Victoria.

Comment

Oh, that's interesting. I guess the big house might have been demolished by now or maybe even destroyed in the war. Surely though there must be some information about it somewhere. Is there a local history society that might know?
              Margaret

Comment

I "walked" along Majendie Road from one end to the other. No gap at all in the terraced houses. It's such a distant twiglet that i'll just wait for inspiration to arrive.

Comment

Although Beaconsfield House sounds large it could just have been an ordinary house with owners who wanted it to sound posh. My mum lived in Cambrai House, in Southend,early in the 20th century. It was just a 3 bedroom corner house, with most of downstairs occupied by a wet fish shop! Looking at Beaconsfield House on the 1891 census it was occupied by one very ordinary family - head of household was a carman, there was him, his wife and 6 children. Next door at Beaconsfield Cottage a labourer and his wife and child occupied 2 rooms, whilst another labourer with wife and 4 children were in 3 rooms so a very ordinary property.
                  Last edited by JudithM; 25-08-12, 14:43.
                  Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

I've just looked at Google STreet View. On that 1891 census the household before Beaconsfield House is on Brewery Road, the one after Beaconsfield Cottage is 6 Majendie Road. Looking at Majendie Road now, the first house on the right turning in from Brewery Road is no 6 but there is a padlocked gateway just before it labelled 2, 4 Majendie Road leading to some sort of yard. Perhaps Beaconsfield House and COttage were situated behind the other houses?
                    Last edited by JudithM; 25-08-12, 15:01.
                    Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Thanks for the additional research, Judith. If I were really keen I'd look on eBay for an old large-scale OS map, like I did for some much closer relatives in Sunderland. I've only "developed" this twig into a branch because I was contacted by a much closer descendant who provided loads of further information.

Comment

Working...
                      X