Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lem or Lemm family from Worcester, where were they in 1851 and 1841?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lem or Lemm family from Worcester, where were they in 1851 and 1841?

William James Lem or Lemm and Eliza Maskell were married at St John Baptist Church, Claines, Worcester on 17 March, 1861. They appear on all censuses after this, but where were they in 1851?? Eliza's parents were Richard Watkins(step father?) and Sarah Watkins(Mother) and Eliza was born in Herefordshire, but where varies on different documents/censuses - meanwhile William James Lem, was born in 1840/41 and his father was Richard and it is thought they came from Worcester/Worcestershire - but they don't appear on any census prior to the marriage. Any help would be gratefully received. The name Lem, seems to change to Lemm later in the decades, but I realise the likelihood of transcription errors with a name like that is high.
    Many thanks for reading this.
    Rachel

am looking but cant find William Lemm... No doubt it has been transcribed wrong :(

Comment

Thanks for trying Janet, I've tried Lemon and a range of other things - it is a hard one!!
      Rachel

Comment

when I was looking for one of mine they had put it as Seeks when in fact it should have been Feeks.

Comment

had a look on Ancestry public trees. Nobody has the 1851 census. !

Comment

It is as if they were parachuted in!!

Comment

There's a William Lemm (I think), he's indexed as Lenny, but to me looks more like Lemm. Head of house is Josiah 60, and there's Mary 55, too old to be William's parents, no relationship given of course as 1841.

Comment

Originally posted by susan h View Post
                There's a William Lemm (I think), he's indexed as Lenny, but to me looks more like Lemm. Head of house is Josiah 60, and there's Mary 55, too old to be William's parents, no relationship given of course as 1841.

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/iexec?h...=&pid=11478198
                FMP have this family indexed as LEMM
                Could William be the son of one of Josiah & Mary's unmarried daughters? There was a Maria age 20 living with them who possibly died in 1842.
                Joseph (Josiah) & Mary are still living in Bedwardine St John, Worcestershire in 1861 so maybe the 1851 census for this place is missing.
                Moggie

Comment

Wow thank you Susan and Maudarby, I think you might have it!!!
                  Thank you,
                  Rachel
                  Last edited by ukfamilyhistory; 24-08-12, 13:16.

Comment

I think he was Joseph & not Josiah.
                    4 children on familysearch
                    https://familysearch.org/search/records/index#count=20&query=%2Bsurname%3Alemm~%20%2Bbirth _place%3Aworcestershire~%20%2Bbirth_year%3A1805-1816~%20%2Bfather_givenname%3Ajoseph~%20%2Bmother_ givenname%3Amary~

Son Edward Lem baptised on 2nd Apr 1815, buried 5th Apr Worcester St John.
                    Daughter Maria age 25 buried as Lenn 13th March 1842 ditto

Moggie

Comment

? marriage for Joseph & Mary. I think Kempsey was Mary's birthplace in 1861
                      Search your ancestry with FreeREG. FreeREG provides free online access to transcriptions of birth, marriage and burial records from Church of England and Church of Scotland registers. You can also use FreeREG to discover: non-Conformist records from England, Scotland and Wales, Municipal Cemetary records, Memorial records and documents relating to life events out of country, at sea and in the military.

? marriage for daughter Hannah to Thomas Smith in 1829 which would rule her out as being William's mother.
                      https://familysearch.org/search/records/index#count=20&query=%2Bgivenname%3Ahannah~%20%2Bs urname%3Alem~%20%2Bspouse_givenname%3Athomas~%20%2 Bspouse_surname%3Asmith~

Moggie

Comment

Thank you Moggie - I think you are absolutely right, I can't tell you how grateful we are.
                        Rachel

Comment

Hello Susan and Moggie - Wow, with your help I've cracked it!!
                          William Lem married Mary Walton.
                          They had Joseph (Josiah) who married Mary Fowls (Fowles)
                          They had William (1805), he married Sarah Allen, who died in 1840, probably in childbirth, giving birth to William James - which explains why William was with his grandparents in the 1841 Census)
                          William remarried in 1841 to Ann Ballard (a bit of a one, she ended up in prison twice for simple larceny!!)
                          The only mystery still left is that no-one appears on the 1851 census, though they are all there in 1861 - realy weird!!
                          You are both stars.
                          Thankyou,
                          Rachel
                          Last edited by ukfamilyhistory; 25-08-12, 18:22.

Comment

Hi Rachel
                            So pleased to have helped. I think you still may be looking at a missing part of the census in 1851.
                            Moggie

Comment

That's great Rachel, well done. I did look for them in 1851 but had no luck. It was a pleasure to help.

Susan

Comment

Hello, I know this thread is quite old, however I have been researching my cottage and came across this.
                                This is Abit of information Sean send!

Plot 220 on 1840 map The Cottage and garden were owned by Mary Lamb and she had a tenant in the cottage called Joseph Lemm. The plot size was 1 rod and 7 perches​

this area is Henwick Mill which would correlate with your Joseph Lemm.

I wander if this is where they lived.

Comment

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                                  This gallery has 4 photos.

Comment

Working...
                                  X