I wish I hadn't started!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I wish I hadn't started!

I was looking for info about grandfather's brother Jim when I saw his name on a tree on that "other" site. I made the mistake of contacting the owner and am now trying to extricate myself politely.
    The owner (we'll call him 'O') contacted me and said that the Jim in his tree was my grandfather's brother. When I looked at his tree there were members of my family (from both sides) with lots of inaccurate data. I then answered his note, asking him how he thought he was related to me. His reply was to request me to remove the ban on living relatives as it was 'stopping all investigation for the past 120 years'. He then said we were related through the Terry family (my grandfather's mother was a Terry).
    I made an attempt to look at his tree and discovered that his Terry family was not 'our' Terry family ...and told him so (politely I hope!) O said that I should not keep all my research on my own computer - I should share it for the benefit of others! I have not pointed out that I do not have data relating to living persons on 'that' tree and that all data there is thoroughly researched.
    When I looked again he had made some changes to his tree and put my ggrandfather as a son of his gggrandfather, together with a bunch of siblings whom he did not have.
    Advice please on how I should get out of this.....and should I ask him to remove members of my family who were not directly related to any 'Terry' family (ie my father's family - we were discussing my mother's side in the first place).
    I'm sure there is someone out there with good advice.
    Shirley

If you are talking about a tree on Ancestry, there is a way to leave a message on the tree so that others can see it.
    It's a good way of pointing out inaccuracies if the tree owner persists in publishing incorrect data.

Just open the tree and you will see a tab - COMMENTS.
    Anything you write can be viewed by the tree owner and anyone else who looks at it.
    As far as I know you are the only one able to edit or delete the comments - although if you put something rude I expect Ancestry would delete on behalf of the tree owner ... so keep it clean!
    Elaine

Comment

I would ask very politely for him to remove your family and give him a week to do so. Contact the board administrators if he doesnt and see if they can help.hopefully he will get bored and confused and give up genealogy soon.
      if he doesnt then i might be tempted to 'help' him with extra info about other family members ie you have missed out Flossie (really your cat) and also frederick william (really your dog) and see wherethat gets him.

no tree of mine is complete without my cat in it
      Angelina

Comment

No Elaine, its not Ancestry (Its the other one we all moved from in 2006!)

Comment

Ah right! By the way, no problem in naming other sites as long as you keep your comments about the actual site polite!
          Elaine

Comment

Do you mean that he has living members of your family showing Shirley? If so I believe that GR will do something about it for you. If you just mean that he has lots of wrong information about your ancestors in his tree and hasn't put it right despite you giving him the right information, then he sounds as though he is happy as he is and I would just ignore him. I had a similar problem once and there is little you can do but leave them to their own world.
            Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Yes Chrissie, I can see myself there as well as several cousins. I don't think he has a clue about research so I shall not accept his offer of help with mine! I cannot believe one could get so much junk on a tree. He has so arranged it that he appears to have about 10 wives - or maybe he has a harem!!!! He has a very long aristocratic name and a coat-of-arms as his avatar - I'm sure he would not wish to claim all our pub landlords and ag labs!!!!
              Shirley

Comment

I would ask him to remove you first then and if he refuses it might be worth having a word with GR?
                Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

GR will remove living people from other trees if you contact them. I've had to do it.

Comment

That's a good idea. Thanks Chrissie

Comment

Working...
                    X