Florence Gurton 1872

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Florence Gurton 1872

I can't find Florence Gurton on the 1891 census, have her on all others from her birth in 1872 in Hatfield peverell,Essex. She may be under Sparkes, her stepfather's name , (she was on the 1901. ) I have tried Guston, sometime misspelling. I would be grateful for help.

sunny x

How about this one in Toxteth Park.
    Her birth year in the index is given as 1881 but in the image she is 20 yrs old.
    Moggie

Comment

Did she marry as Gurton or Sparkes Sunny? I see that she was very young when her mother married and is Sparkes in 1881. So did she only know Charles as her father?
      Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

What about Florence Gurton, 18, General Servant Domestic, b. Tollesbury, Essex at 78 The Grove, Hammersmith, residence of Caroline Backhoffner, 73, and her daughter, Kate, 40? (RG12, Piece 37, Folio 10, Page 20)
        Tollesbury is about ten miles east of Hatfield Peverall.

merleyone

Comment

Originally posted by merleyone View Post
          What about Florence Gurton, 18, General Servant Domestic, b. Tollesbury, Essex at 78 The Grove, Hammersmith, residence of Caroline Backhoffner, 73, and her daughter, Kate, 40? (RG12, Piece 37, Folio 10, Page 20)
          Tollesbury is about ten miles east of Hatfield Peverall.

merleyone
          I see there was a Florence Guston (Gurton) in Tollesbury in 1881 but the pob for all the children is given as Tollesbury.
          Edited after seeing 1881:
          The Tollesbury Florence is not the same girl as Florence born Hatfield Peverel is shown as Sparkes in 1881 RG11 piece 1809 folio 95 page 3 listed as daughter of Charles and Sarah Ann (only the older brother Ernest is listed as "son in law" with Gurton surname) - The Toxteth Park Florence found by Moggie must be yours surely.
          Last edited by JudithM; 20-08-12, 11:21.
          Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Florence in Toxteth Park (long way from home?) looks fairly likely as the place of birth is right and dob is always a bit off I find. Thanks a lot. Florence never married but had two children (both born Hatfield Peverell , one of whom Ernest(1894) was my friend's grandfather. It is this grandson who's tree I am researching.

sunny x
            Last edited by Sunny Rosy; 20-08-12, 11:15.

Comment

I am beginning to wonder whether there are pages missing in 1891 Sunny.

I have been looking at Florence in 1911 and had to correct a birth name for Charles married daughter Edith. The page has been wrongly also given to a Francis Oliver and someone had given his daughter Edith, who is now married to William J Hayden, the maiden name of Oliver. If you look at the page she is clearly Charles daughter and Francis Oliver is on a separate page altogether,on her own. This Francis/Frances Oliver - nee Hales (widow) was married to William Oliver and in 1881 they are living next door to the Spakes/Gurton and also as a widow in 1901, though both at a different address. They are not next door to each other in 1891 and I can't find Francis/Frances Oliver either. So I wondered if either there were pages missing or whether Francis and Florence were together somewhere?

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...3546344&recoff=
              Last edited by Chrissie Smiff; 21-08-12, 10:55.
              Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Working...
              X