Ideas needed please.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ideas needed please.

I have a brass bound wooden biscuit barrel with a shield on the front enscribed presented to A.G Glasspool on his marriage by the congregation of St. Johns. Hollington, which is in Sussex.

I have got my GGGrandfathers marriage certificate and it says he got married at St. Leonards Church, St. Leonards, Hastings. Sussex

Just trying to work out why he would get married in one church and have something presented to him by the congregation of another!!

Linda
    Last edited by Loopy Linda in La La Land; 19-08-12, 18:09.

Perhaps he belonged to one, the bride to the other and they got married in her church, as is customary.

Or maybe his church wasn't licensed for marriages.

OC

Comment

Agree with OC that they probably married in the brides' parish church. Wonder if Mr Glasspool was more than just a member of the other church - perhaps organist, lay reader or church warden so that the congregation wanted to celebrate his marriage with a gift?
      Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Originally posted by JudithM View Post
        Agree with OC that they probably married in the brides' parish church. Wonder if Mr Glasspool was more than just a member of the other church - perhaps organist, lay reader or church warden so that the congregation wanted to celebrate his marriage with a gift?
        That does sound likely. I can't think that we'd do more than a card for a congregation member - unless it was someone who was contributing conspicuously to the community.

Christine
        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

I may contact the church and see where I can find out some more information, they married in 1912
          and as far as I can see the church where he received the gift from was almost next to where she was living so that doesn't fit in with the theory of why they married in St. Leonards Church.

Linda

Comment

Perhaps the church was undergoing repairs at the time. Or some other such reason prevented them marrying in that building.

Anne

Comment

Is it definitely St Leonards Church, St Leonards where they married?
              I think that the church now known as The Church in the Woods was St Leonards and was in the Hollington district.

Gwyn

Comment

My grandmother and her family did not like the vicar at their nearest church so they walked five miles to worship at a more agreeable church. She got married there.

Where I live now, there are people who will not attend the local parish church because it is "too high". They go elsewhere.

I think there are all sorts of reasons why a person would attend one church but marry in another. These days it might even be because one church was prettier than another, for the wedding photos!

OC

Comment

Yes Gywn, on the marriage cert. it says St.Leonards Church, St. Leonards, Hastings.

I have just sent an email off to them asking if I can find out any more,

The Church in The Wood rings a bell. Off to have a look in my files.

Linda

Comment

There are/were two churches called St Leonards. One was in Hollington (the church in the wood) and the other was in St Leonards itself. Different parishes.

OC

Comment

Oh yes I see that now OC, I'll have to establish which one they married at first

Thanks

Linda

Comment

Working...
                      X