Sophia Ann Lee

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sophia Ann Lee

My Gt.Aunt Sophia Ann Lee emigrated to Australia , alone, in February 1866. In 1868 she married Richard Hetherington in Melbourne. In 1877 Richard & Sophia left Melbourne for Fiji to run a cotton plantation owned by his father the Rev.Irving Hetherington. Richard ran the plantation for a few years before moving to Samoa where he once again settled into his occupation of Lawyer. He was to remain in Samoa for the remainder of his days. in 1888 my Gt.Aunt Sophia left Samoa and, it would appear, the marriage, following infedelity by her husband. Nothing more can be found on Sophia until 1892, a Passenger List shows her listed as heading for England on the "Lubeck" with a daughter. Next piece of information is a Patent issued to Sophia Hetherington Carruthers, which latter name came via her husband,s mother when she died, so Sophia tacked it on for obvious reasons, in my opinion. The Patent was issued for her invention of an electrical device which helped, apparently, the Nerves. In the same year, 1894 she exhibited the invention at the Chicago Trade Fair. This is where the trail goes cold and nothing further can be found for Sophia Ann Hetherington Carruthers (nee Lee).

My first thought is she could have re-married but I just feel there would, or should, have been something after the Fair. Also there is the gap between her leaving Fiji in 1888 and showing up on a Sydney Passenger Ship in 1892. The Passenger List was from the Sydney Morning Herald but I cannot find an entry for her arrival in England.

Most of the above information comes from a descendant of Richard Hetherington and here I have just outlined some of the basic facts as known to me. If anyone can make any suggestions I would be most grateful... Thank-you.
    Last edited by dreen22; 06-09-12, 06:15.

Do you know her year/place of birth - that would help a lot in searching records.
    Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk
    Follow me on Twittter @ChalfontR

Comment

The Passenger List was from the Sydney Morning Herald but I cannot find an entry for her arrival in England.

What name was she travelling under?
      Moggie

Comment

The patent for the invention - Electro-medical appliance - is listed here http://www.lib.muohio.edu/epub/govlaw/FemInv/FOR.php and was granted on 4 July 1893 in Sydney NSW

Comment

Sophia Ann Lee was born in Clerkenwell, London in 1840 the daughter of John Henry Lee & Sarah Ann Archer

Comment

Originally posted by maudarby View Post
            The Passenger List was from the Sydney Morning Herald but I cannot find an entry for her arrival in England.

What name was she travelling under?
            Moggie
            Hetherington

Comment

Mrs Hetherington

Comment

Thank-you Margaret
                Also available online is her sketch of the appliance.

dreeny

Comment

Originally posted by dreen22 View Post
                  Thank-you Margaret
                  Also available online is her sketch of the appliance.

dreeny
                  Yes, I saw that it looked like a washing mangle!! LOL

Margaret

Comment

Richard Hetherington Carruthers was my great grandfather.
                    There is mention of a daughter called Caroline on <http://www.geni.com/people/RICHARD-HETHERINGTON/6000000001395999085> with correct sibling details for Richard.
                    I would be grateful to be put in touch with the descendent of RH Carruthers who gave you the details of Fiji and Samoa.
                    Thanks,

Comment

Not a problem.
                      Meanwhile, do you know what happened to Sophia after the Chicago Exhibition. Sophia had split from Richard Hetherington, as far as is known but we cannot find any evidence that she re-married and cannot
                      find thus far any trace of children. Thank-you

dreeny22

Comment

Working...
                      X