Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Military records

Hi

Watching WDYTYA and ive seen that different places hold service records. My great grandad changed his name and was once in the Princess Charlotte of Wales regiment, and then changed his name and went into the 5th Lancers. Im wondering if perhaps he was similar to Samantha Womak's great grandad and went to prison. His records from the PCoW I havent seen, but I have his records from the Lancers. Is there anywhere else where I might be able to find his records other than TNA?

Many thanks
    Robyne

Name interests: Alderton, Osborne, Danslow, Hanley, Bowkett, Lakin, Elliott, Banner, Walters, Reed, Deighton, Sleight, Dungar ;)

What dates are you looking for Robyne? There are some pre WW1 service records on Findmypast.
    Elaine

Comment

he enlisted under his new name in 1885 and was in the Berkshire regiment prior to that. Will take a look at FMP. Thanks Elaine
      Robyne

Name interests: Alderton, Osborne, Danslow, Hanley, Bowkett, Lakin, Elliott, Banner, Walters, Reed, Deighton, Sleight, Dungar ;)

Comment

Probably also helps if he served in the GW too. My g/father also joined in 1885 into the artillery and his records are held on both FMP and Ancestry.

Lucky me.
        Whoever said Seek and Ye shall find was not a genealogist.

David

Comment

Most regiments have a museum or archive, although often they have been merged (sometimes more than once) with other regiments over the years so you have to work out which one you need to look for. They are usually the best place to start, and I've always found them very keen to help.
          Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk
          Follow me on Twittter @ChalfontR

Comment

I must admit I was very surprised at this as I have always understood that all military records were held at TNA apart from some local militia records held at the CROs. I was also told that regimental archives didn't hold individual soldier's records, obviously incorrectly. Are they however copies of those held at TNA or vice-versa or do they hold some that TNA do not have?
            Glen

Comment

In my experience they have all sorts of records, not just service papers ... the key thing is they know what records are available and where to find them (whether that be their own archives, local records offices or TNA) and can save a lot of time searching. If you know the years someone served, they can also give details of what the regiment , or individual companies, were doing then, where they were posted etc. and that can help locate where to look geographically.
              Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk

Comment

I was surprised too that they had the service papers. I think it's true to say that a large number of regimental museums don't, however.
                The National Archives, Kew – Research Service Offered
                Contact me via PM on Family Tree Forum or via my personal website - www.militaryandfamilyresearch.co.uk

Comment

I suspect the service papers shown on WDYTYA had been obtained from TNA and supplied to the regimental museum for filming purposes !

Comment

Originally posted by AntonyM View Post
                    I suspect the service papers shown on WDYTYA had been obtained from TNA and supplied to the regimental museum for filming purposes !
                    There was one set of papers which was available on Ancestry and another which was available on Findmypast. I was looking at them whilst the programme was on!
                    Elaine

Comment

If it's true that TNA supplied the copies for filming purposes then I expect Regimental Museums will be inundated with requests that perhaps they can't fulfill. They should have clarified this. Lots of the Museums are run by volunteers, so not very fair to put them to extra work!
                      The National Archives, Kew – Research Service Offered
                      Contact me via PM on Family Tree Forum or via my personal website - www.militaryandfamilyresearch.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                      X