Blenkinship

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blenkinship

Hi I am very new to both the site and to family history. I am trying to work both maternal and paternal sides ( perhaps a bit ambitious).
    My mother was Agnes Maud Florence Blenkinship born in Bolton in 1894. Parents Thomas Blenkinship and Isabella Ostle married at Manchester Cathedral 6th December 1873. Youngest of 11 children ( but I can only find 10 so far) Grandparents both from Penrith. My father DSaniel Jackson was born in Bolton in 1898, youingest of 5 children, parents Daniel Jackson born 1852 and Elizabeth Anglesey born 1857 at Great Boughton, Chester. They were married 19th Mat 1883 at Charlestown, Lancashire. Any help from out there would be appreciated. Thanks

Hello Ashen and welcome to FTF.

Which way do you want to go, back into the past or forward to now?

OC

Comment

1881 census has a thomas born 1848 joiner born penrith
      isabella born 1854 penrith
      fredrick born 1875 manchester
      bessie born 1877 penrith
      tom born 1879 penrith
      34 thompson st broughton salford
      is this the family

Comment

Yes this is the correct family

Comment

Hi there and thanks for the welcome.

I suppose both really. I only knew 2 of my mother's sisters and no one on my father's side so it would be nice to to know what living relatives I have as well as my ancestors

Comment

Ashen - if you are new to family history, the best advice I was given when I started is to take your research slowly, one generation at a time. Check you have the evidence to confirm links before going back to the previous generations and NEVER guess or assume..... most importantly treat any information published in other's online trees (e.g. on Ancestry) with great suspicion unless it has proper sources identified that you can confirm for yourself.

Best of luck.
            Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk
            Follow me on Twittter @ChalfontR

Comment

Ashen, do you subscribe to a site such as Ancestry or Findmypast. Would be helpful for members to know whether they can just provide links to information or if you would need transcriptions.
              Elaine

Comment

Ashen

You are fortunate that the spelling of the name is so unusual (although that will make it prone to mistranscription as Blenkinsop I'm sure).

You will be able to construct SPECULATIVE trees from online information but of course these will eventually need to be backed up by certificates before you set them in stone.

Two sites you may find immediately useful (free) are Freebmd and Lancashirebmd.

OC

Comment

Another source you will find useful for Lancashire research is Lancs OPC . Although far from complete it has a very good coverage of parish records, and new ones being added all the time.
                  Last edited by AntonyM; 17-08-12, 10:59.
                  Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk
                  Follow me on Twittter @ChalfontR

Comment

Ashen .... if you are not near to the Archives in Carlisle I could do some lookups for you for the Penrith part of your family, specially when you get further back than civil registrations. (1837)

Anne

Comment

Meant to say...concentrate on one line at a time otherwise you (and we!) will get very muddled. I suggest you concentrate on the Blenkinship line first as that will be the easiest.

Do you have a family tree programme to enter your findings? If you don't, there are some free ones which are perfectly adequate, or you can buy various types. Lots of people use FTM which usually comes with some free subscription to Ancestry which you will find very useful as a beginner.

OC

Comment

Just had a quick look at 1911 census, Isabella is a widow but states she has been married 40 years and has had 10 children and they are all alive.

Looking back over the earlier generations there are 10 children in all. (some seem to have different names on the different census but same birth date and place)

Do you want to know what has happened to there children, who they married etc?
                        Lin

Searching Lowe, Everitt, Hurt and Dunns in Nottingham

Comment

found tom born 1879 married 1900 bolton and a death 1929 age 50 bolton
                          theres a thomas dies 1894 age 47 bolton
                          iand a isabella dies 1923 age 69 bolton
                          if this helps any dave

Comment

Hi Anne that is very kind of you to offer. I am coming to Penrith for a week, 7th - 14th September and hoping to go to Archive ofices in Carlisle. Have never used Archive office befor so what can I expect to finf there. I understand that the library in Penrith is in the grounds of St Andrews Church wher my ancestors appear to have been christened so not sure what I will find there either. Any tips would bre gratefully received.

Comment

Hi Lin. Yes I would like to know of their descendents.

Comment

Hi Elaine. No I do not subscribe at the moment but something I aam considering. Would you have any advise on best site. Think better to wait until winter when I will have more time.

Comment

Thomas, grandfather, born 1848, died 1894. Isabella born 1853, died 1923. Have both their death certificates and also marriage certificate. Thomas born 1879 is, I think, their 3rd son. I will need to check his marriage and death. Thanks. My greandfather committed suicide do you know wher I can get information on the inquest.

Comment

Ashen. They are very good in Carlisle Archives. Here is a link to their website

You are most unlikely to need to book a place.... the new building and facilities are large! If it is the parish records you need you will find them on microfilm which a member of staff will show you how to use. If you are lucky you might find books of transcriptions for your parish on the shelves. If you need to look at the actual (real!) books of records you will be let into the inner sanctum.

Note that you will need to have some ID with you to get a Readers Card. Also note that the Archive is closed on Mondays.

Anne
                                    Last edited by Anne in Carlisle; 19-08-12, 21:17.

Comment

Thanks Anne

Comment

Working...
                                      X