Marriage Certificate not found

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marriage Certificate not found

I can trace my family back to my Great, Great, Great Granddad and can see him married on the 1851 Census.

Although I have lots of information / dates including his Wife's name I can seem to find a marriage record, which will probably be around 1830'ish.

Is there anything I can do to trace this record or anywhere that would be worth looking at (I've looked on Ancestry and Genes Reunited). Is there any reason why marriage records my not be available online or is it just possible that they were not married ?

Many thanks for any help.

Regards

Bob Paterson

Hi Bob
    Can you give us some details/places/names of the people you are looking for & someone may be able to point you in the right direction. Have you looked on familysearch for the marriage?
    Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.

Moggie

Comment

Civil registration didn't start until mid 1837, so anything before that date would have been recorded in a church register.
      These are NOT all on line and coverage varies greatly from county to county.
      If you have some idea of county, then FreeReg ( http://www.freereg.org.uk/ ) is another useful site, which is being added to all the time.

Jay
      Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

The person is Abraham Bennet 1810 - 1867 born in Woodstock, Oxfordshire but lived later in Islington and married Eleanor Watkins 1811- 1899 born in Woodstock, Oxfordshire.

Thank you for your replies and will look at the FreeReg and familysearch sites.

Bob
        Last edited by BobP; 15-08-12, 17:30.

Comment

Have you got the 1841 for Abraham and Eleanor? I had a look and could only find this http://search.ancestry.co.uk/iexec?h...c=&pid=7325366 which gives occupation as dealer in clothes but with a wife Mary and two daughters who don't appear on the 1851 o include the son shown on the 1851 as aged 16.

The son was born in Oxfordshire so I would guess the marriage took place there rather than London.

Margaret

Comment

Unfortunately if you are looking for Oxfordshire parish records there are very few online!

I have found this in the 19th Century newspaper collection:

OXFORD, SATURDAY, AUG. 3 .
            Jackson's Oxford Journal (Oxford, England), Saturday, August 3, 1833; Issue 4188.
            On Thursday se'nnight was married at St. Peter's-le-Bailey in this city by the Rev. S. J. Reay, Mr. Abraham Bennet, grocer of Woodstock, to Eleanor, eldest daughter of Mr. John Shillingford of Northmoor in this county.
            Elaine

Comment

Might be a daft question but how do you know Eleanor's maiden name if you do not have a marriage record? The son John Benjamin Bennet is shown born c1835 in Woodstock Oxon but again there would be no birth cert for this as it was before Civil Reg started.

Margaret

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
                Unfortunately if you are looking for Oxfordshire parish records there are very few online!

I have found this in the 19th Century newspaper collection:

OXFORD, SATURDAY, AUG. 3 .
                Jackson's Oxford Journal (Oxford, England), Saturday, August 3, 1833; Issue 4188.
                On Thursday se'nnight was married at St. Peter's-le-Bailey in this city by the Rev. S. J. Reay, Mr. Abraham Bennet, grocer of Woodstock, to Eleanor, eldest daughter of Mr. John Shillingford of Northmoor in this county.
                That's interesting Elaine as her name would then be Shillingford not Watkins!
                Margaret

Comment

Many thanks for all your help.

Margaretmarch - I can not find them on the 1841 Census but will keep looking.

Elaine Spain - Not sure how you found that so quickly, but thank you as it looks like the correct people but also now wondering how Eleanor was Watkins not Shillingford so will keep looking at this line.

Many thanks again

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by BobP View Post
                    Many thanks for all your help.

Margaretmarch - I can not find them on the 1841 Census but will keep looking.

Elaine Spain - Not sure how you found that so quickly, but thank you as it looks like the correct people but also now wondering how Eleanor was Watkins not Shillingford so will keep looking at this line.

Many thanks again

Bob
                    Where did you get the name Watkins from? She may have been married before so was Watkins on the record but father was Shillingford that's how it would show on a marrieg certificate - I know one would not be available for that date.

Margaret

Comment

1841 census for John Shillingford but no Eleanor

Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

I am trying to look back at my records to find where I got the name Watkins from and worried I might have been given it from another Family Tree on Ancestry web site. I have found Eleanor having the name of Watkins but when she was 60 living with her son John B Bennet.

I will keep looking and have tried to search the marriage records with her having the surname of Shillingford but still can not find and more proof.

Thanks for your time and help.

Bob

Comment

Right here's the census where you found Eleanor listed as mother with surname Watkins http://search.ancestry.co.uk/iexec?h...c=&pid=3873375

Margaret

Comment

I have found Eleanor having the name of Watkins but when she was 60 living with her son John B Bennet.
                            When did Abraham die. Did Eleanor marry following his death
                            Elaine

Comment

Here you go Eleanor married right quick after Abraham died to George Watkins

Eleanor Bennet
                              Date of Registration: Apr-May-Jun 1868
                              Registration district: Guildford
                              Inferred County: Surrey
                              Volume Number: 2a
                              Page Number: 79

so Shillingford is right for her maiden name

Margaret
                              Last edited by margaretmarch; 15-08-12, 19:13.

Comment

1881 census for them
                                Elaine

Comment

Abraham died on 23 February 1867 in Guildford Surrey.

I had found the Marriage of Eleanor Watkins to George Watkins but was not sure if it was the same Eleanor as they had the same surname, but it is possible.

Bob

Comment

Abraham died on 23 February 1867 in Guildford Surrey.

I had found the Marriage of Eleanor Watkins to George Watkins but was not sure if it was the same Eleanor as they had the same surname, but it is possible.

Bob

See my post #15 above the marriage records show her as Eleanor Bennet so it must be her.
                                    Last edited by margaretmarch; 15-08-12, 19:17.

Comment

Here's the probate for Eleanor Watkins granted to John Benjamin Bennet son http://search.ancestry.co.uk/iexec?h...=&pid=15623044

Margaret

Comment

Here's Eleanor in 1891 http://search.ancestry.co.uk/iexec?h...=&pid=15660758

Margaret

Comment

Working...
                                        X