Do you think im on the right track?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you think im on the right track?

Elizabeth Ann Evans is giving me a little trouble. I started with her marriage cert that was found in a box of my nan's old papers, She married a Mr John Catto in Sept 1928, 7 years after her daughter ( my Nan) was born. According to this she was born in Dublin Approximately 1886 daughter of William Henry Evans and Mary Hand.

I then found her death Cert from NSW Birth's Deaths and Marriages and had it transcribed She died May 1945 aged 57, this stated she was in the Colonies for 33 years arriving in Victoria approx. 1912 she spent 2 years there and then moved to NSW where she lived for 31 years.

From this i did an Incoming passenger search on Find my Past with 2 years either side of 1912 and the only passenger that i could find that fitted with the ages i have was Miss E A Evans, departing Liverpool August 1914 destination Melbourne Australia aged 29 on the Persic.

I dismissed this at first because she was born in Dublin, so searched for her in the Ireland 1911 census, but could not find her anywhere.

In my other Thread: http://www.familytreeforum.com/showt...-s-from-Dublin WendyPusey found a possibility (THANK YOU) in the 1901 census http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Dublin/Dundrum/Churchtown_Lower/1315564/ After spending many hours searching this i cannot find any other matches thatfit.

A friend mentioned that there was not a lot of work in Irelandand she may have moved to England to find work so i searched the 1911 censusand found, Miss Elizabeth Ann Evans aged 25, birth year 1886, Occupation general servant, Born Ireland Dublin. She was listed with Margret ann Rock (widow ) and Edith west Rock (daughter, Single) Wallasey, Birkenhead

I looked up a map and it’s just across the river from Liverpool which bring's me back to the passanger i found on the Persic. If the 1911 census is the right one then it seems to me it is possible i have the right passenger?

I tried to search for her birth / baptism and the only one that i can find that fits, matches the one that Herky ( THANK YOU ) found : http://search.ancestry.com.au/cgi-bi...8&recoff=6+7+8

So after all that (sorry for the long post) do you guys think i might be on the right track or have i stuffed up something somewhere?

Thank's for looking

I've been told that Liverpool was a common launching point for immigration, that many Irish stayed there for some period before moving to the US - and probably Australia too. Sounds quite reasonable, tho I haven't looked at the records you linked.
    Irish Civil reg did exist in 1886. Haven't really figured out the best way to search the index. Familysearch has some, but I didn't see a likely candidate. Did you check rootsireland?

Comment

looks plausible, and if the death cert mentions parents all good. do you know what part of ireland she was from? the indexes don't appear to cover all ireland, and a lot don't go past 1922 that are online.

Comment

I think the passenger lists only show from Liverpool or London to Australia and Canada etc as the journey from Ireland to England would not have been recorded. I would be inclined to accept the listing you have found if it fits in all other respects.

Ancestry has some births indexed for Ireland so you might find her on there or on familysearch.org.

Her parents may be on the 1901 and 1911 for Ireland since you seem to have their names and you might then see any siblings.

Margaret

Comment

Thanks guys, Her Marriage Cert and her death cert have her parents’names on them. The 1901 Census in Ireland is the where i found her with herparents and her brothers and sister, i have not found them in the 1911 census.They are listed as deceased in 1928 on her marriage certificate. I think inmight try the birth i found on ancestory and see if it is her. Is there someonein Ireland that dose a transcription service like Aus ?

Comment

Originally posted by Rainy View Post
            Thanks guys, Her Marriage Cert and her death cert have her parents’names on them. The 1901 Census in Ireland is the where i found her with herparents and her brothers and sister, i have not found them in the 1911 census.They are listed as deceased in 1928 on her marriage certificate. I think inmight try the birth i found on ancestory and see if it is her. Is there someonein Ireland that dose a transcription service like Aus ?
            You have to send for a copy of the entry from GRO in Ireland http://www.groireland.ie/fees.htm and it looks like 10 euros to anywhere in the world. No one can transcribe as the public are not allowed to look at registers only the index of names to find the reference number for a certificate.

Margaret
            Last edited by margaretmarch; 16-08-12, 06:58.

Comment

Working...
            X