Bit of help please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bit of help please

James Clark marries Sarah Ann Kitson (nee Moss) in 1879. He lists his father as James and both his and his fathers occupation is Boot Maker and james is listed as 35 making him born in 1844, and a batchelor

In the census' he always keeps his Birth at 1852 and place varies between various spellings of Leyton and goes between Huntindonshire and Bedfordshire. I have done a quick google search and the only close place i can find is Luton in Bedfordshire. Through 1881-1901 his occupation is carter not boot maker or any variation, but I do know its the right one though as in 1881 sarah Ann's children from her first marriage are living there. The baptism from the birth of their first child states labourer as the occupation and she was born 2 months after their marriage.

Im guessing that everything in either the marriage cert or the census' are a lie but i cant find out which one! The marriage was in Leeds and the baptism was done in 1880 in Rothwell.

Any ideas?
    Robyne

Name interests: Alderton, Osborne, Danslow, Hanley, Bowkett, Lakin, Elliott, Banner, Walters, Reed, Deighton, Sleight, Dungar ;)

There is a place called Leighton in Huntingdon registration district.
    Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Working blind these days (no subs), but possible familysearch
      1861: https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/M7R7-MSJ
      1871: https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/VFFM-742 - father, John

Comment

If James was right about his father being James then this may be father's baptism in Leighton https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/NR6X-Z62 bp 14 Mar 1819 at Leighton-Bromswold, Hunts son of James and Mary Clark.
        Here's the 1819 James in 1841 http://search.ancestry.co.uk/iexec?h...c=&pid=2792787
        and 1851 http://search.ancestry.co.uk/iexec?h...c=&pid=6170260

And here are possible marriages for your James parents and grandparents https://www.familysearch.org/search/...ion_id=1473015
        Last edited by JudithM; 13-08-12, 17:52. Reason: marriages added

Comment

Does the following help at all?

Huntingdonshire Parishes - Leighton Bromswold

Brief Description:
          LEIGHTON, a parish in the hundred of LEIGHTONSTONE, county of HUNTINGDON, 5½ miles (N. by E.) from Kimbolton, containing 446 inhabitants. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the peculiar jurisdiction and patronage of the Prebendary of Leighton in the Cathedral Church of Lincoln, rated in the king's books at £7. The church is dedicated to St. Mary.
          This extract is from "Samuel Lewis Topographical Gazeetter - 1831"

Hundred:

LEIGHTONSTONE
          Registration District:
          Leighton Bromswold was originally in the Huntingdon Registration District from 1st July 1837. Subsequently it became part of the Spaldwick sub-District, but it is now directly under the Huntingdon District again.

Kimbolton is very close to the border of Beds and Hunts.

Not sure about the Leeds bit but Rothwell is a very ancient town near Kettering in Northants. I have Northants ancestors who were always popping over the border to places like Kimbolton and Molesworth in Hunts for marriages/baptisms before returning to their villages
          Janet
          Last edited by Janet; 13-08-12, 19:18.

Comment

Just a thought, Leighton Buzzard is in Bedfordshire, you never know......Del.
            Researching, Clarke, Calvert, McDowell, McCreadie, Paton and Scott families, Scotland and Ireland, Ayto, Eato, Eatough family, Lincolnshire and Nottinghamshire.

Comment

In 1851 there is a James & Drucilla Clark living in Leighton Bromswold. James was an ag lab & they had a 3 year old son William. Judith on post #4 has posted a link to James & Drusilla's marriage. I just can't find them after 1851. Neither James or Drusilla are buried at Leighton Bromswold (NBI).
              In 1911 there is an 80 year old Drusilla Clark (age & birthplace fit) living in Warwickshire.
              But I think she is a different Drusilla, formerly married to an Edward.
              Moggie

Comment

Originally posted by maudarby View Post
                In 1851 there is a James & Drucilla Clark living in Leighton Bromswold. James was an ag lab & they had a 3 year old son William. Judith on post #4 has posted a link to James & Drusilla's marriage. I just can't find them after 1851. Neither James or Drusilla are buried at Leighton Bromswold (NBI).
                In 1911 there is an 80 year old Drusilla Clark (age & birthplace fit) living in Warwickshire.
                But I think she is a different Drusilla, formerly married to an Edward.
                Moggie
                Yes that is the 1851 census I posted the link to above and I can't find them after that either. What I have found is their son William in 1861 I think - RG9/973 folio 72 page 13 William Clark, aged 13, living in Leighton, Huntingdonshire with his grandmother Mary Clark. http://search.ancestry.co.uk/iexec?h...=&pid=24090445
                And he was still with his grandmother in 1871 - RG10/1525 folio 70 p13
                None of which helps to find his father or brother - the two James Clarks. :(
                Last edited by JudithM; 13-08-12, 21:06.

Comment

Hi Judith
                  Sorry I didn't see the link on your post to the 1851 census.
                  I was just doing a search of Leighton Bromswold & found this couple but didn't have any luck tracing them further forward.
                  Did you see that a William Clark age 3 was also with his grandmother in 1851? I wondered if she may have had 2 grandsons named William of a similar age.
                  Moggie

Comment

Originally posted by maudarby View Post
                    Hi Judith
                    Sorry I didn't see the link on your post to the 1851 census.
                    I was just doing a search of Leighton Bromswold & found this couple but didn't have any luck tracing them further forward.
                    Did you see that a William Clark age 3 was also with his grandmother in 1851? I wondered if she may have had 2 grandsons named William of a similar age.
                    Moggie
                    Oh no, I didn't spot that... so the William I tracked might not be James' son. Oh dear, back to the drawing board. Think I'll go to bed and look again in the morning.
                    Last edited by JudithM; 13-08-12, 21:34.

Comment

You would think with a name like Drusilla she would be easy to track down wouldn't you?
                      Moggie

Comment

goodness thanks so much everyone, i didnt get a chance to look at this yesterday as i had to go straight to college after work! will look through everything you have suggested
                        Robyne

Name interests: Alderton, Osborne, Danslow, Hanley, Bowkett, Lakin, Elliott, Banner, Walters, Reed, Deighton, Sleight, Dungar ;)

Comment

Sorry, not had time to peruse the thread properly, but just wanted to throw this thought into the mix, as someone mentioned Rothwell Northants.

There is a Rothwell between Leeds and Castleford.

Is it possible the census references are for one couple and the marriage & bp for a different couple???

Jay
                          Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Working...
                          X